Cinema 4d selection tag and material problem

Forums: Cinema 4d selection tag and material problem
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Cinema 4d selection tag and material problem

Postby alanedodds » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:56 pm

alanedodds Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:56 pm
Hi.

In Octane using Cinema 4d r19 I can't seem to put a material on a particular selection of a model. Is there any way around this or is it bug? I've been through the manual and there is no mention of this. natively in cinema 4d when you have polygons selected and you put a material on the selection it will be applied be on that selection only - but not with an octane material.

Best,

Alan
alanedodds
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Re: Cinema 4d selection tag and material problem

Postby aoktar » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 pm

aoktar Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 pm
alanedodds wrote: natively in cinema 4d when you have polygons selected and you put a material on the selection it will be applied be on that selection only - but not with an octane material.

It exactly works like how C4D materials work. Pls double check your setup.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
User avatar
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer
 
Posts: 11487
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:28 pm
Location: Türkiye

Re: Cinema 4d selection tag and material problem

Postby alanedodds » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 pm

alanedodds Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 pm
aoktar wrote:
alanedodds wrote: natively in cinema 4d when you have polygons selected and you put a material on the selection it will be applied be on that selection only - but not with an octane material.

It exactly works like how C4D materials work. Pls double check your setup.


I can assure you, it is not working. I've tried different files, different set ups, everything I know I could possibly think of.

Thanks
alanedodds
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Re: Cinema 4d selection tag and material problem

Postby aoktar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:38 am

aoktar Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:38 am
Well! Do you mind please post your scene and let's see what's your mistake?
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
User avatar
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer
 
Posts: 11487
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:28 pm
Location: Türkiye

Re: Cinema 4d selection tag and material problem

Postby nyxwei » Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 am

nyxwei Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 am
I think this bug do exist, I encountered the same problem for a recent project. Sorry for that I can't post the project here since it's a confidential project for the coming world cup. I'll try to explain in words.
I've applied two materials to a bottle, a label material to the middle, a brushed metal material to the top and bottom, implemented it by using selection tags. But the result was that the right tag will always overrides the effect of the left tag (just like there was no selection applied) even though I've assigned the particular material tags to their corresponding selections. And the weirdest thing is, this bug was not always there, sometimes you refreshed or restarted the live view, it was working fine, then the next moment you made some changes, it messed up again. Btw, another problem is that if I apply two different materials with selection tags and apply a "stick texture" tag, only one of the textures will be sticky and follow my deformer rig. Hope the developers can have a deeper look at the code and find out what is going on. Thanks a lot!
nyxwei
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: Cinema 4d selection tag and material problem

Postby aoktar » Wed May 23, 2018 2:07 am

aoktar Wed May 23, 2018 2:07 am
nyxwei wrote:I think this bug do exist, I encountered the same problem for a recent project. Sorry for that I can't post the project here since it's a confidential project for the coming world cup. I'll try to explain in words.
I've applied two materials to a bottle, a label material to the middle, a brushed metal material to the top and bottom, implemented it by using selection tags. But the result was that the right tag will always overrides the effect of the left tag (just like there was no selection applied) even though I've assigned the particular material tags to their corresponding selections. And the weirdest thing is, this bug was not always there, sometimes you refreshed or restarted the live view, it was working fine, then the next moment you made some changes, it messed up again. Btw, another problem is that if I apply two different materials with selection tags and apply a "stick texture" tag, only one of the textures will be sticky and follow my deformer rig. Hope the developers can have a deeper look at the code and find out what is going on. Thanks a lot!

I'm lazy and no time to read and apply the long texts. Please put a sample scene.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
User avatar
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer
 
Posts: 11487
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:28 pm
Location: Türkiye

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:21 pm [ UTC ]