Refractive Software LTD is proud to announce the availability of version 1 beta2 of Octane Render.
This release is for PC's running MS Windows, Apple Mac's running Leopard or Snow Leopard or Linux Systems.
This release archive contains a complete illustrated PDF Manual of the software.
We recommend new users to read it carefully.
After installation, the software will ask your license key, please use the same key you used for beta1. You do not need to send us a new activation request email.
IMPORTANT: This release uses Cuda 3.0 and requires the installation of new drivers. Please check the included readme text file for details on which drivers to get for your platform.
NOTE: Beta2 OCS project files are not backward compatible with beta1 OCS project files, due to the many changes introduced.
- Code: Select all
- New Platforms:
- x64 version for MS Windows
- Apple Mac OS X Native 32bit version
(x64 is not possible due to cuda toolkit constraints at this time)
- Daylight system with sunlight and physically based sky
- Material Channels:
- bump maps (also read from OBJ MTL file)
- normal maps
- opacity (alpha) maps (also read from OBJ MTL file)
- thin film coating maps
- OBJ and Mesh import:
- Option on mesh node to relink/reload a modified OBJ mesh, keeping materials by name.
- Use of smooth groups (option in OBJ prefs panel)
- Loading/Saving of OBJ import preferences
- Universal executable for all Geforce 8000 and up,
no more separate 8000 and 9000+ executables.
- Improved User Interface scheme
- Uses new Cuda 3.0 toolkit - with new drivers
- Better UI response while rendering on single GPU systems
- Linear and Logarithmic toggle buttons for easier control of many parameters
- HDR Images (OpenEXR and HDR) now take 50% space of video memory.
- Can Zoom the render viewport using CTRL + mousewheel.
- No more need for Visual Studio redistributable package installation.
Changes & Bugfixes
- Code: Select all
- grayscale images load / crash fixed
- new corrected render timer for linux and Mac platforms
- black banks on bottom/right of image at non-standard resolutions fixed
- tooltips on OBJ import preferences panel
- Camera Response imager's linear/off mode works / fixed
- When reloading OCS project, if a file is not found, the dialog says which one it asks for.
- OBJ Mesh import preferences are saved to OCS project per mesh, and globally
- better handling of file dialogs and reload dialogs
- sun/sky power controls
- new icons
- reset camera button
- button bar is inactive when no engine is rendering
- material ball object DOF corrected to match scale
- material picking issues when changing resolution fixed
- bilinear interpolation of zoomed out render image
- better mouse pipette cursors
- geometry memory doubling issue when changing resolution fixed
Self Installing executables:
http://www.refractivesoftware.com/custo ... _win32.exe (32bit 9.8MB)
http://www.refractivesoftware.com/custo ... in_x64.exe (x64 11.4MB)
ZIP file archives:
http://www.refractivesoftware.com/custo ... _win32.zip (32bit 9.1MB)
http://www.refractivesoftware.com/custo ... in_x64.zip (x64 10.1MB)
Apple MAC OS X 10.5/6
http://www.refractivesoftware.com/custo ... osx_32.pkg (32bit 13.5MB)
(Note: Current Nvidia CUDA toolkits are 32bit only, we will supply x64 Mac OS X packages in the future, when nvidia supports it)
http://www.refractivesoftware.com/custo ... x64.tar.gz (x64 22.1MB)
NOTE: The DEMO scenes and HDRI maps are not included anymore in the software packages. We will supply them soon as a separate shared archive.
Known Issues and Limitations
- Code: Select all
- No Import of RenderMan RIB files.
- No MLT Sampling, this means some scenes present 'fireflies' eg bright pixels/dots,
which are a natural side effect of unbiased algorithms.
The commercial versions of Octane Render will feature MLT and other options which take care of this issue.
RIB, Collada and MLT will be made available in the next beta3.
Please note that this release is an incremental update towards the complete v1.0 with all planned features as on our product page.
The Octane Render Team