OctaneRender™ 2020.2.3

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2020.2.3
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2020.2.3 [current 2020.2]

Postby enricocerica » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:47 pm

enricocerica Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:47 pm
Hi, I'm still trying to deal with an issue I meet since several versions now and it's quite frustrating. Most of the scenes (mainly with huge scenes) I rendered with really few problems are now all rendering with crashes or failed cards.

I have 4xGTX1070 and there were no changes in my system except windows and drivers updates (all at last version).

Rendering with one of them works fine.
Rendering with two of them works fine most of the time, but get 1 or both cards failed sometimes.
Rendering with three of them, I always get at least one card failed, and often all failed.
Rendering with all the four cards, I always get all failed.

This happens whatever the cards I'm using.

How can I investigate to evaluate if it's an hardware issue considering that took one at a time each card renders fine ?
Any suggestion to try pointing what is getting problem ?

Since I got into this situation, I can't go ahead with some projects I initiated some months ago, too frustrating :-/

Thanks for any tip
Modeling system : I7 32GB Windows 10 & Fujitsu Celsius H720
GPU : 1x Gigabyte GTX580 3GB + 1x MSI GTX780 3GB + 1x PALIT GTX780 6GB +1x Asus Stix GTX1070 8GB
http://www.myline.be
enricocerica
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby whersmy » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:26 am

whersmy Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:26 am
I would say trying all cards separately, to see if one of the cards is causing the problem. Also checking if the power-supply is working properly could be a sloution, by replacing it (temp) with a working one. Also it could be a coolingpaste issue, but that`s only a thing if one of the cards failed. :idea:
Octane 2022.1.1 nv535.98
mac pro g5| pentium g2030 iGPU| maximus extreme V| 2x gtx590 - 8gb - SSD - win7-x64- 1500W Silverstone|
x201t - gtx580 - egpu ec
Dell G5 - 16GB - dgpu GTX1060 - TB3 egpu @ 1060 / RTX 4090

Octane Render experiments
whersmy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby enricocerica » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:46 am

enricocerica Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:46 am
whersmy wrote:I would say trying all cards separately, to see if one of the cards is causing the problem. Also checking if the power-supply is working properly could be a sloution, by replacing it (temp) with a working one. Also it could be a coolingpaste issue, but that`s only a thing if one of the cards failed. :idea:

Thanks for suggestions,
Each card works fine separately, no issue at all.
With simple scenes, there is no problem, I can render with the four cards and IMO the consumption is the same with simple or complex scenes (but I may be wrong) and by the way each pair of cards has its own power supply and using each pair individually works fine.
I'm getting crazy ...
GPU : 1x Gigabyte GTX580 3GB + 1x MSI GTX780 3GB + 1x PALIT GTX780 6GB +1x Asus Stix GTX1070 8GB
enricocerica
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby whersmy » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:23 am

whersmy Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:23 am
Maybe it`s a hardware memory issue related thing? What if you enable Out of core to see if that offloads the load on the gpu memory? Maybe the denoiser is eating up too much system ram, causing the gpus to fail/crash on big scenes? I had to double up to 16GB to make everything future proof and stable. :arrow:
Octane 2022.1.1 nv535.98
mac pro g5| pentium g2030 iGPU| maximus extreme V| 2x gtx590 - 8gb - SSD - win7-x64- 1500W Silverstone|
x201t - gtx580 - egpu ec

whersmy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:24 pm

PolderAnimation Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:24 pm
enricocerica wrote:Hi, I'm still trying to deal with an issue I meet since several versions now and it's quite frustrating. Most of the scenes (mainly with huge scenes) I rendered with really few problems are now all rendering with crashes or failed cards.

I have 4xGTX1070 and there were no changes in my system except windows and drivers updates (all at last version).

Rendering with two of them works fine most of the time, but get 1 or both cards failed sometimes.
Rendering with three of them, I always get at least one card failed, and often all failed.

How can I investigate to evaluate if it's an hardware issue considering that took one at a time each card renders fine ?

Since I got into this situation, I can't go ahead with some projects I initiated some months ago, too frustrating :-/

Thanks for any tip

How are card connected to the motherboard? Are you using risers? or are the cards directly in the pci express slots?
I found out that with risers octane is less stable then when using cards directly on the motherboard. This can also be because in our previous system we could only get them to work on gen1 instead of gen3 (when using risers).
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby enricocerica » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:34 pm

enricocerica Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:34 pm
PolderAnimation wrote:
enricocerica wrote:Hi, I'm still trying to deal with an issue I meet since several versions now and it's quite frustrating. Most of the scenes (mainly with huge scenes) I rendered with really few problems are now all rendering with crashes or failed cards.

Thanks for any tip

How are card connected to the motherboard? Are you using risers? or are the cards directly in the pci express slots?
I found out that with risers octane is less stable then when using cards directly on the motherboard. This can also be because in our previous system we could only get them to work on gen1 instead of gen3 (when using risers).

No riser. I have two cards in the PC and 2 others in a Cubix expander (Connected to the PC via a PCIE slot x8 or x4 don't remember) and never got into troubles before. BTW, I have also some issues (but less) when using only the 2 cards in the PC or the 2 cards in the expander and using one of the cards in the PC and one of the cards in the expander isn't worse.
Strange isn't it ?
enricocerica
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:01 am

bepeg4d Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:01 am
Hi Enrico,
could you share a screenshot of the log window after/during crash?

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby whersmy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 am

whersmy Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 am
enricocerica wrote:
PolderAnimation wrote:

Thanks for any tip

No riser. I have two cards in the PC and 2 others in a Cubix expander (Connected to the PC via a PCIE slot x8 or x4 don't remember) and never got into troubles before. BTW, I have also some issues (but less) when using only the 2 cards in the PC or the 2 cards in the expander and using one of the cards in the PC and one of the cards in the expander isn't worse.
Strange isn't it ?

Then I think it`s software related. Maybe updating the motherboard drivers? Or the cubix expander drivers?
You could also try switching the cubix expander card in a different slot.
Lastly, when i updated my bios I got my dell G5 to work with a TB3 egpu flawless. :) So you could try that. But maybe as a last resort?
Octane 2022.1.1 nv535.98
x201t - gtx580 - egpu ec

whersmy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby batman911 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:58 am

batman911 Wed May 05, 2021 9:58 am
Hi,

I've just tried to render a glass bottle which has two surfaces applied to it (one for inner glass, one for outer glass) and this new release doesn't render correctly, please see attached files. This used to work OK before. I rendered this in both the standalone and Lightwave plugins and same result.

Cheers,
Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
batman911
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed May 05, 2021 6:16 pm

juanjgon Wed May 05, 2021 6:16 pm
batman911 wrote:Hi,

I've just tried to render a glass bottle which has two surfaces applied to it (one for inner glass, one for outer glass) and this new release doesn't render correctly, please see attached files. This used to work OK before. I rendered this in both the standalone and Lightwave plugins and same result.

Cheers,
Alex

This problem could come from the new nested dielectrics feature. You can disable it to match the old behavior in the kernel nodes.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)