OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.01.1

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.01.1
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.01.1

Postby abstrax » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:23 am

abstrax Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:23 am
Hi all,

This is just a quick-fix update of 4.01, that fixes the splash screen and more importantly particle and hair rendering, which got broken yesterday in a last-minute change and which we only noticed this morning.

License upgrade

Unless you have a subscription license, you will have to upgrade your version 3 licenses to version 4. This upgrade is free and can be done via these 4 steps:

1. Go to https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/purchase/
  2. Select "Upgrade" in the top menu.
  3. Click on "UPGRADE NOW" next to "Upgrade existing licenses to OctaneRender 4".
  4. Select the licenses you want to upgrade and confirm.

New GPU requirements

To use this version, you need a GPU of compute model 3.0 or higher. Support for Fermi GPUs (like GTX 4xx and 5xx) has been dropped. Also make sure you use a driver of version 387 or higher and if you are working on Mac OS that have a CUDA driver installed that supports at least CUDA 9.1.

And if you are working on Windows 7 or 8 we highly recommend to update your driver to version 417.22 or higher. This driver fixes an issue where the CUDA API function calls fail with error 2 (out of memory) even though these API calls don't allocate any memory. See viewtopic.php?f=24&t=69639 for more details.

Changes since version 4.00:

• Improved the planetary environment by replacing the planetary axis and angle input pins with latitude and longitude pins, to allow you defining the correct orientation of the planet underneath your location that can be matched against the coordinates in the sun direction node.
  • Improved memory management during progressive scene data updates, when out-of-core is used to fix a performance regression observed with various scenes. It was caused by better a utilization of VRAM with a smaller amount of unused GPU memory, but then having to subsequently move new resources to out-of-core because progressive data updates couldn't fit new data.
  • Removed the fast GPU upload which caused issues on systems that connected via PCIe risers/expanders (see viewtopic.php?p=351110#p351110). It didn't make much of a difference in most cases.
  • Refactored the resource tracking of render devices to avoid that some allocations are not accounted for correctly. Also the memory usage and distribution can be quite different for each device. The most visible sign of these changes is the viewport status bar which shows now more detailed scene statistics and memory usage for each device, when you click on it.
  • Fixed CUDA failure in the baking camera when rendering a scene with animated meshes.
  • Fixed hot pixels and incorrect light distributions in scenes with portals that have AI light enabled.
  • Fixed global light exclusion of the environment if the scene contains portals (see viewtopic.php?p=351802#p351802).
  • Fixed clamping of post-effects in the denoised main pass.
  • Fixed artifacts in scenes of scaled meshes that use displacement, which became most visible in the AO info channel kernel.
  • Fixed wireframe rendering when using the baking camera.
  • Fixed incorrect attribute access when a scene with volumes is rendered using the baking camera.
  • Fixed bug that caused the denoiser to not start on the very first frame / render (see viewtopic.php?p=352129#p352129)
  • Fixed incorrect rendering of shadow catcher materials in the denoiser main pass (see viewtopic.php?p=352596#p352596).
  • Fixed filtering out of daemons that run on the same machine as the net render master.
  • OSL: Fixed crash when using getattribute("camera:fov", fov) in an OSL shader

Downloads for users with a regular license
OctaneRender for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender for Windows (zip)
OctaneRender for Mac OS
OctaneRender for Linux

Downloads for users with a Studio subscription license
OctaneRender Studio for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Studio for Windows (zip)
OctaneRender Studio for Mac OS
OctaneRender Studio for Linux

Downloads for users with an additional Enterprise All-Access license (excluding subscription All-Access)
OctaneRender Enterprise for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Enterprise for Windows (zip)
OctaneRender Enterprise for Mac OS
OctaneRender Enterprise for Linux

Demo version downloads
OctaneRender Demo version for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Demo version for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Demo version for Mac OS X (DMG image)
OctaneRender Demo version for Linux (ZIP archive)

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY Team
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.01.1 [current 4.xx]

Postby PolderAnimation » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:40 am

PolderAnimation Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:40 am
I got a new issue with the baking camera.

I have 8 rendertargets with different baking cameras. If I batch render them after a couple of rendertagets they all output the same image.
I do have an example but it is under an a NDA.

I have send an email with example to marcus.
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:11 am

PolderAnimation Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:11 am
Is it correct that 'The Render layer passes' can not be denoise yet?
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby manalokos » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:09 pm

manalokos Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:09 pm
We are getting a but in all versions of Octane when using FBX animated cameras.
Everything works fine, but when we save and reload the scene, we don't get a timeline anymore, or we get a timeline with a range going from -2147493648 to 100,

We suspect it might be something related to FBX, since we haven't had any problems when using Alembic.

Kind regards
Filipe
manalokos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby grimm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:19 am

grimm Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:19 am
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to load a sequence of images for an animated displacement texture and it will only allow me to load one at a time. For 152 images this will take some time. Not sure if this is a Linux issue or not.

Thanks,

Jason
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby grimm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:25 am

grimm Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:25 am
Also when I load an image the file type always defaults to .jpg, I have to change it to what I'm looking for. It would be nice for it to look for all the available file types.

Thanks,

jason
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby grimm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:36 am

grimm Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:36 am
Hmm, also I'm not able to exit out of a LUA script window (batch rendering). No close button and if the script doesn't have an exit button how do you get out of it? I tried the escape key, etc.

Thanks,

Jason

Edited to add that when I switch to another virtual desktop it kills the script window. It's good to know, but that's not good if I was in the middle of rendering something.
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:05 am

abstrax Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:05 am
PolderAnimation wrote:I got a new issue with the baking camera.

I have 8 rendertargets with different baking cameras. If I batch render them after a couple of rendertagets they all output the same image.
I do have an example but it is under an a NDA.

I have send an email with example to marcus.

Thank you very much for the scene. I could track down the problem and it should be fixed with the next release.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:13 am

abstrax Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:13 am
PolderAnimation wrote:Is it correct that 'The Render layer passes' can not be denoise yet?

I assume you mean the layer reflection pass? Yes it is correct that they can't be denoised at the moment. The AI denosier uses contextual information of multiple passes to generate the denoised render passes, which is not available for the render layer passes. In the future we are going to look into improving the denoiser in that area.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby jonbragado » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:38 pm

jonbragado Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:38 pm
Hi,

Potentially asking a stupid question but i downloaded version 4.01.1 only to found in another post version 2018.1 with new amazing features. I know this might be testing but my question is, the latest most greatest version of Octane is 2018.1 right?

Thanks,
jonbragado
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)