OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.00

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.00
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 4.00 [current 4.xx]

Postby abstrax » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:09 pm

abstrax Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:09 pm
ChrisVis wrote:Ok, thank you very much for clarifying that!

Are there any informational post in terms of Octane 2018?
Sorry, I am not that up to date lately.

It's still early days, but yesterday we also made a first experimental build of version 2018: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=69461
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:18 am

Notiusweb Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:18 am
When importing Alembic files, Octane now keeps the per-mesh settings for subdivision surfaces.

Can this be modified per-mesh in Standalone?
If so, where is setting that you change, wrench has just for all meshes, and Object layer doesn't have any toggle checkmark.

THX!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:00 am

Goldorak Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:00 am
eisklotz wrote:Hi,

I thought Octane 4 would be free for 2 GPUs?

It is for some plug-ins, and those will be coming next year, after we complete the work done for all-access passes for commercial licences.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby grimm » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:47 am

grimm Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:47 am
abstrax wrote:
grimm wrote:Awesome! Thanks guys. But I'm getting an error when I try to upgrade: "This account is temporarily locked" :(

Could you try again? According to our web admin it should be caused by trying an incorrect password for too many times.

Thanks, yep I got it worked out. :D
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:31 am

Notiusweb Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:31 am
Abstrax,
I found why I am getting the crashes-
I checked the DPC Latency Checker program and it spikes every time the "AI Scene Caching mesh" notice appears.

Is that caching happening in the CPU or GPU....or when the one is feeding the other info
Because the more GPU I have, the higher the spikes are when it happens.
In my case, if I have 5 or less GPU, there are almost no spikes, but as I add in my 6, 7, and 8, the spikes go much much higher.
To the point, where it is showing that the GPUs are stalling the CPU. This is why my GPU is freezing and shutting down.
I know this now because I can see when I change the frame on the timeline in a scene with an ABC animation, when too high of a spike is generated, it correlates with a freeze suddenly.

What is interesting is that
(1) restarting the render with the backwards arrow does not trigger a high spike, or raise the DPC Latency really at all.
(2) moving the scene around with the cam does not trigger a change
(3) changing a texture does not trigger a change

It is when I select a frame, or when each frame is being processed in the Batch Renderer, and the "AI Scene Caching Mesh" notice appears
Also, it occurs whether the denoiser is on or off, or the render-resolution is low or high.

Also, I tried to change the max thread cores for AI in app settings, and if I made 6 or less, I could predictably immediately crash the system into a BSOD when I then used >5 GPU.
Don't know why that is, but it was interesting to see maybe it is related to the rest of it.

My question-
Would there be a way to make a selection box, like how you made for the Tonemapping per-card selection back in V3, for the AI Scene Caching Mesh?

-THX so much.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Juanlife » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:55 am

Juanlife Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:55 am
abstrax wrote:Hi Juan.

Juanlife wrote:I have some doubts, I have 2 OctaneRender v3 regular licenses + 1 3dsmax plugin ,

1. that mean that now I can use 80 gpus no matter if they are in one or in several computers? I have a couple of extra PCs that I could use

You can use up to 40 GPUs by one net render master. At the moment you will still need a standalone license to run a net render slave, i.e. in your case you will be able to run one slave and thus won't hit the 40 GPU limit.

2. what if I upgrade now? can I go back if something goes wrong with my actual project?

The version 4 license is compatible with older versions (e.g. version 3), which means after you upgrade your licenses to version 4 (for free) you can continue using version 3 with the upgraded licenses.

3. I noticed that now you sell the render node separately,

That's just a different wording for a regular standalone license that can also be used as a net render slave.

my actual setup is 1 OctaneRender v3 regular license+3dsmax plugin in my Workstation and another OctaneRender v3 regular license in a linux System with 10 gtx1070 for network rendering, so what now? what about "up to 200 networked GPUs" that you promised? I bought the second license on March 25 2018, after your announcement, I did it thinking about a possible expansion of my rendering capacity...

I think there is a misunderstanding here: The support of 200 GPUs doesn't mean that you can just grab all computers you can find and run a net render slave on them without a license. You still need a license to run a net render slave on a machine, i.e. to be able to use 200 GPUs you would need a lot of licenses. Also be aware that a typical LAN setup doesn't provide enough bandwidth for a 200 GPU setup.

For now, you can use up to 40 GPUs on a net render master of version 4, which can either be provided by the computer the master is running on or by net render slaves.

please, help.
thank in advance
Juan

ok... thank you for your clarification, but what is "net render master" of version 4? Where can I download it?
Juanlife
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby carterner » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:02 pm

carterner Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:02 pm
abstrax wrote:With the (free) upgrade to version 4 you will have access to all version 4 updates that will be released in the future. Please be aware though that version 2018 is not version 4.

Does the perpetual license have permission to use the beta version of 2018? Thanks for answering
carterner
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby manalokos » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:34 pm

manalokos Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:34 pm
I'm getting pretty frequent crashes with this new version. It is not useable in our current production
manalokos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:31 pm

abstrax Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:31 pm
manalokos wrote:I'm getting pretty frequent crashes with this new version. It is not useable in our current production

Thank you for your report. We are really keen to fix all issues as quickly as possible, but a bit more information:

- Which plugin do you use or are you working with the Standalone?
- What do you mean with "crash"? CUDA failures or crashes where the application dies?
- If it's a CUDA failure, what is the very first error message in the log?
- How can we reproduce the crash?
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby FoolooF » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:46 pm

FoolooF Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:46 pm
I am having a weird transparency issue with Ver.4

I was working on a project in October using Ver. 3.08.5.
I had a DAZ character wearing a dress, with a ragged cuff to the sleeve.
I just used a .jpg transparency map for the sleeve.
Everything worked fine.

I tried using one of the RC versions for the same project, (I believe RC7 at the time).
The transparency map worked correctly, the sleeve edge was ragged, but the forearm of the character was invisible.

Opened it in Ver. 3.08.5 again and it looked fine
I thought, ver.4 is still experimental so it's going to have some bugs, and just used 3.08.5.

I was playing with VizPeople free fireplace in 3.08.5.
I had two versions of it loaded, one occupying the exact same space as the other.
I did this so I could set one fire as surface visible emission, and the other as an invisible (opacity 0) light source.
It worked fine and looked good.

Then Ver.4 was officially released.
I upgraded my license and installed ver.4.

I opened the same fire scene in ver.4 and the fire was gone, invisible.

All other parts of the mesh were visible as in ver.3.08.5, (logs and debris), but the flames were gone.
In this instance, it seemed to me any geometry occupying the same space with opacity at zero was rendering both invisible.

I decided to do some simple testing.

In ver.3.08.5:
I Loaded a sphere into a scene with it's own placement node connected to a geometry group node.
Then I copied the sphere and placement nodes, and connected those copies to the same geometry group node.
So both spheres are occupying the same space.
If I set the opacity of one sphere to zero, I can still see the other sphere,(as it should be).

In ver. 4.0:
I did the exact same procedure as above, but both spheres disappeared.
If I set one sphere slightly out of sync with the other, (0.000010), I can still see one sphere at some angles, and see through it at others.

Am I missing something simple, or doing something wrong?
Does ver.4.0 have some kind of different setting I'm not aware of?

My system:

Win 7 sp1 64bit
16 gigs system ram.
Geforce GTX 760, with 2 gigs ram.
Drivers : 416.94
FoolooF
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)