1.0 beta 2.46b is it a bug ?

Forums: 1.0 beta 2.46b is it a bug ?
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

1.0 beta 2.46b is it a bug ?

Postby polytek » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:36 pm

polytek Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:36 pm
Well i noticed the following, i loaded a scene "in progress" inside octane.... setup my camera view, connected the responding materials into the material-slots, created some new ones fitting nicely into the scene....safe the scene!
Super until now, i worked on my model a little bit more, added some more objects with some new surfaces...safed everything and export it back into Octane....when i loaded the "ocs" file again all my surfaces have different materials....it seems that the ocs file does not remember a surface by name, but rather by "slot-number" resulting in a shift off you're materials when you add something new to a scene with a new surface name....very annoying since i have to re-arrange all slots...giving you alot off overhead time and makes saving a scene zero benefit....is it a bug are did i make some kind off mistake....do other people noticed this before...

High regards,

Polytek
win 8.2 / 64 / systemmem 27Gb / gtx 750Ti & asus stricks Gtx 780 6Gb
polytek
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: 1.0 beta 2.46b is it a bug ?

Postby Isotemod » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Isotemod Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:16 pm
Are you replacing the original .obj file with a exported altered file and then starting octane?

The correct method to update a scene is as follows.

Export your changes to a different .obj file

Load your .ocs scene

Click once on your mesh .obj node

Load new file (the updated .obj)

This will update your current mesh and will load new materials while keeping your existing materials and material connections.
Isotemod
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby polytek » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:58 pm

polytek Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:58 pm
Oh i see, ok my mistake, its a strange way off dealing with things but ok.....
win 8.2 / 64 / systemmem 27Gb / gtx 750Ti & asus stricks Gtx 780 6Gb
polytek
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:17 am

abstrax Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:17 am
Sorry, this is a limitation of how OCS and OBJ files play together at the moment: The OCS file does not store any geometry and works only correctly, if the OBJ/MTL files haven't changed since the last time the OBJ/MTL files were loaded into the Octane scene.

If you want to apply changes, you have to explicitely relink with the modified OBJ/MTL files. There are currently only two ways of doing that: Either use the "Render" button in the export plugin or open the OCS file, export the OBJ files, then click on the reload button of the corresponding mesh node and select the updated OBJ file. You don't have to export to a different OBJ file name, as long as you don't change the OBJ/MTL files until you have loaded the OCS file.

We will change things here and make it more robust, by having it always relink, so that material changes are properly applied to the corresponding mesh node. Unfortunately it's not a trivial task, which is the reason why it wasn't done yet.

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)