OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.04.5

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.04.5
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.04.5

Postby abstrax » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:30 am

abstrax Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:30 am
Hi all,

This is another minor update to fix more issues and adds a few minor improvements:

Changes since version 3.04.4:

• Various improvements in the batch render job graph:
    • The end frame settings of the render job dialog are now stored correctly.
    • If "render all enabled passes" is disabled, always the beauty pass is saved.
    • Added sub-frame support.
    • Added DWA compression support.
  • Added ability to change the UI colour of the standard node graph and the scripted node graphs. The same UI is used for the annotation node, too.
  • Added ability to edit the group attribute of linker nodes by right clicking them in the node inspector. The group attribute is used to create input groups in the node inspector.
  • Added new mode "hide from camera" to render layer settings. If enabled, the inactive layer will be hidden from the camera. The side effects passes will be empty since we skip the inactive surfaces and thus can't record the side effects.
  • Using the motion vector pass on a panoramic camera will give you the motion vectors in world space (was (0,0,0) before).
  • Trying to improve Alembic load performance by implementing a better cache. Now, the actual Alembic implementation is the bottleneck and there isn't much we can do to improve load performance any further (except implementing our own format, of course).
  • Fixed bad performance when you save an open package with no Alembic assets, but lots of other file assets (e.g. OBJ files or images).
  • Fixed incorrect transmission of specular materials with "fake shadows" enabled (see viewtopic.php?p=295065#p295065).
  • Fixed crash during geometry compilation caused by invalid mesh data by validating meshes before compilation.
  • Fixed incorrect PMC rendering due to number overflows in the environment texture (see viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57267).
  • Fixed sun light through portals (see viewtopic.php?p=295480#p295480).
  • Fixed to dark ambient light pass when portals are enabled.
  • Fixed incorrect shadowing in scattering media when they overlap with a volume.
  • Reverted the change in the way how info filter passes work: If you enable an alpha channel, only those pixels that have a material with the channel corresponding to the filter pass will be opaque. The rest will be transparent (see viewtopic.php?p=296127#p296127).
  • Lua: Added octane.render.saveRenderPass() which saves a single render pass if it's enabled.

License tracking change since version 3.02

To implement the floating licensing system we need to keep track of all Octane processes that use a specific license on the computer. This way we only release/deactivate a license when no Octane process is using that license anymore. Originally we used a third-party library for that. Unfortunately there were various issues with that and caused crashes during startup in various circumstances. To fix the problem we changed it to an internal (file based) system in version 3.02. Unfortunately this separates the license usage tracking of version 3.02 and higher from the usage tracking of 3.00, 3.01 and 3.01.1.

-> Please make sure that you only run either version 3.00, 3.01 and 3.01.1 at the same time or only version 3.02 or higher.

OctaneRender Standalone downloads

Windows
- commercial version (installer)
- commercial version (ZIP archive)
- demo version (installer)
- demo version (ZIP archive)

Mac OS X
- commercial version (DMG image)
- demo version (DMG image)

Linux
- commercial version (ZIP archive)
- demo version (ZIP archive)

Photoshop workflow plugin download

You can download and install the plugin either via the Adobe Exchange platform or you can download it from the link below and manually install it.

Windows and Mac OS X
- Photoshop extension (v1.0.3) (ZXP archive)

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY NZ Team
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.04.5 [current 3.xx]

Postby PolderAnimation » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:49 am

PolderAnimation Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:49 am
Thanks for the update.
When I use a alembic cache with only one object in it, I can connect the alembic cache to an 'object layer map' and 'material map' and it give me a pin.
But then I put more then one object in the alembic cache the 'object layer map' and 'materiel map' give me no pins.
Is this suppose to happen? (I export my alembic caches from maya.)
If yes it would be very very useful if i could connect 'material map' and 'object layers maps' to alembic caches.

cheers,
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:18 pm

Hesekiel2517 Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:18 pm
Works perfect! Thank you very much!
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby manalokos » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:28 pm

manalokos Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:28 pm
Some obj files don't show up on the render, got a project full of stuff missing, I can send you a obj file if you would like to see.

Kind regards
Filipe
manalokos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:14 pm

Jolbertoquini Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:14 pm
:) Thanks for the update
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:04 pm

abstrax Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:04 pm
manalokos wrote:Some obj files don't show up on the render, got a project full of stuff missing, I can send you a obj file if you would like to see.

Kind regards
Filipe

That's probably due to the new mesh validation. My guess is that the OBJ loader loads an invalid mesh which now gets filtered out (to avoid crashes during the geometry compilation). We will have a look at it on Monday to see if that's the case and if the OBJ loader can be made more robust. Thanks for the example file.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby gah5118 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:11 am

gah5118 Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:11 am
PolderAnimation wrote:Thanks for the update.
When I use a alembic cache with only one object in it, I can connect the alembic cache to an 'object layer map' and 'material map' and it give me a pin.
But then I put more then one object in the alembic cache the 'object layer map' and 'materiel map' give me no pins.
Is this suppose to happen? (I export my alembic caches from maya.)
If yes it would be very very useful if i could connect 'material map' and 'object layers maps' to alembic caches.

cheers,

I had the same issue and figured out a work around.

a few ways to do it

- in octane, select the alembic geometry node, then select the wrench to open the settings; uncheck merge materials with same name. This will create a material node for every object rather than working off of the shader groups. not useful if you have a few hundred parts in your scene.

- install the octane plugin in order to use octanes exporter for alembic... this works great if your not hiding any objects. However, if you do need to hide/show objects, it lacks that feature.

- if you do need to hide/show like we do, then use maya's built in exporter, however, you need to apply all materials to the object faces in order for the pins to properly show for each shader group.
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oguzbir » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:06 am

oguzbir Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:06 am
There is a bug like problem I'm experiencing with Affect Alpha (in Specular Mat.) (I'm using max plugin)
The Affect Alpha parameter messes up the alpha in complex structures.
I need to see other opaque/solid objects occludes that alpha.

I identify this problem as an object having a specular material which has various face normals returns Zero Alpha When Affect Alpha is selected.
Camera rays seems to cut the raytracing after some refractions.
There are some major parts of the models seems to work just fine. Even 2 objects having (the bowl and cap) specular mat with alpha effect does give good result.
The main problem occurs for the same object.

There is a link at the bottom for the scene file in ORBX &abc . Exported from max.

I disected the model you'll see a part of the same model. Make no mistake it acts the same.
Objects being closed geometry or not does not effect the outcome
Using PT, PMS, Direct does not effect the result
Increasing the glossy depth and diffuse depth to extreme values like 600 does not effect the result
Having a medium assigned to material does not change the result as well.
My scene scale in 3DSmax is perfectly adjusted.
Playing with ray epsilon seems to something but is not a solution.. I've tested values 0.1 to 0,000001 (7 digits precision)
Higher the value less alpha artifacts is present. But then Beauty pass is ruined. Because refractions behave badly. (due to inner walls of the model)

Keep Environment kind of seems to solve the problem but it displays the environment in those problem areas. So it's not a workaround at all

I event tried to put a Very large sphere bigger than scene with inverted normals, cast shadows off, visible to camera off, keeping the camera inside the spere. The alpha is no longer an issue. But those problematic areas gets the color from the big sphere object in the beauty pass is direct reflection. Beauty pass is ruined. This kinda the same approach with visible environment.
FWIU, those problematic areas seems to reflect (refract actually) Top and Bottom of the scene ( where those problematic faces are horizontal.)

The orginal model is a good closed model. Result is the same. I even put a plane object to cover the background.

Please click image for original size. Scene link is below
bug alpha.jpg

Here is the link to orbx file
https://we.tl/nuuWLuNeul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Portfolio
windows 10 Pro. |1070 + 1070 + 1070 + 1070 | i7 @4.5Ghz
oguzbir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby roeland » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:50 pm

roeland Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:50 pm
“Affect alpha” as currently implemented will only make the specular material transparent for rays which are not reflected on the material. Reflected rays will still result in an opaque sample. Most of the white edges you see in the image are areas where the light undergoes total internal reflection in the edges of the plastic box.

These reflections are also visible in areas of the image which are not transparent. If we treat these reflections as transparent, they will start and stop abruptly where other objects are visible in those reflections. It will also lead to a lot more transparent gaps inside the box.

For example I've highlighted one of these reflections below:

affect-alpha.jpg

--
Roeland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby oguzbir » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:57 pm

oguzbir Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:57 pm
Hi Roeland,
I think you misunderstood me. I understand the concept of alpha in refractions.

roeland wrote:“Affect alpha” as currently implemented will only make the specular material transparent for rays which are not reflected on the material. Reflected rays will still result in an opaque sample.

The problem is that the reflected rays do not result in opaque alpha

But the area I'm questioning is very clear in my initial post. I'm troubled with those gaps.
This BLUE area renders as transparent (alpha)
BUG-2.JPG

But there is a occluding object behind the Cap (ice cream)..That shouldn't be transparent.
I certainly have no intention of having more transparent gaps. The opposite..
Why there is a gap there?

I managed to overcome the problem as a workaround. Which is not a total solution.
I created 2 very large planes way high in the scene and way lower in the scene.
By doing that. I was able to close the gaps.

So I describe the problem as when there is a specular material with affect alpha assinged to some complex geometry.
The exit reflection ray that hits environment results Zero Alpha. I guess That's whats happening here.
I do not want to treat the reflections as transparent!

By adding large plane objects top and above the scene. The final reflection (where the gaps are ) hitting the plane thus giving positive alpha and no more gaps in those particular gaps. but it was hard to do it. And problem will create more issue when I'll render the animation.
bug3.jpg

I hope I'm clear now. Do you see this as a problem?

By the way I believe I added 2 object teapot and weird closed star object. Those closed object as well creates weird alpha artifacts as well.

I can send you the full ice cream and package scene if you want to examine the scene.
Cheers,
My Portfolio
windows 10 Pro. |1070 + 1070 + 1070 + 1070 | i7 @4.5Ghz
oguzbir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)