OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.04

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.04
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.04 [current 3.xx]

Postby abstrax » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:56 pm

abstrax Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:56 pm
BorisGoreta wrote:Would be great if we could get the total number of emissive polygons in the scene together with other statistics. It would be useful for scene optimization since emissive polygons are slowing the render down and introducing noise. So some little polygon which is a part of some model could be easily forgotten. It could stay on even if it is not visible in the scene and thus not needed at all.

Ok, will add it to the to-do list.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:25 pm

abstrax Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:25 pm
calus wrote:As normal map has been revisited in 3.0.4 to work with bump map,
I was expecting the other normal map limitations to be removed.

But the material normal map pin still only support imagetexture as input,
and the power pin of imagetexture node still doesn't work for normal map (input is converted to grayscale).

So it's still not possible to mix normal maps together in 3.0.4,
this is a major issue as we can't support UDIM for normal map in DCC plugins because of that.

Since UDIMs seem to be all the rage lately: What exactly is the benefit of UDIMs over normal texturing? From what I can see, the mesh UV map is distributed over multiple UV [1,1] squares and each square is then assigned a different physical texture. Usually, each UV square seems to cover one part of the mesh that is more or less separate from the rest of the mesh. So why not just split the mesh into multiple objects and map each object to the regular UV square?
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby nuno1980 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:40 pm

nuno1980 Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:40 pm
@abstrax
NOTICE: look your double post as spam between page 4 and page 5. ;)
NOTE: I'm sorry for bad english due to mute ;)

i7-12700KF
2x16GB RAM@DDR4-3600
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
Zotac GF RTX 4090 NEW! <3 :mrgreen:
SSDs OCZ RD400 0.5TB and Crucial 2TB SATA3
HDD 1TB SATA2
LG BD-RE BH16NS40
PSU 1kW
CRT 21" Sony E530 :D
nuno1980
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:53 pm

calus Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:53 pm
abstrax wrote:Since UDIMs seem to be all the rage lately: What exactly is the benefit of UDIMs over normal texturing? From what I can see, the mesh UV map is distributed over multiple UV [1,1] squares and each square is then assigned a different physical texture. Usually, each UV square seems to cover one part of the mesh that is more or less separate from the rest of the mesh. So why not just split the mesh into multiple objects and map each object to the regular UV square?

The benefit of UDIM (and other multi-UVtiles convention) is to have higher resolution for textures only on needed part of an object without finishing with one giant texture file,
this also benefit worflow and organisation, for example it's easier to have only one UberMaterial per object.
Spliting the object wouldn't be handy, for example for a character it's way easier to keep it as one mesh, in the modeling tool, the sculpting/texturing tool, and the animation/skining tool,
and anyway you would end with one material per mesh chunks, so it would be hard to edit all materials at the same time.

The UDIM hype also comes from Mari/Modo/Nuke pushing for this workflow, but there's also the conventions used by Mudbox and Zbrush.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:16 pm

calus Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:16 pm
abstrax wrote:
calus wrote:As normal map has been revisited in 3.0.4 to work with bump map,
I was expecting the other normal map limitations to be removed.

But the material normal map pin still only support imagetexture as input,
and the power pin of imagetexture node still doesn't work for normal map (input is converted to grayscale).

So it's still not possible to mix normal maps together in 3.0.4,
this is a major issue as we can't support UDIM for normal map in DCC plugins because of that.

The reason for that is that we currently have two ways to evaluate shader trees: Either as float (greyscale) value or as spectrum. The normal map would need to have the texture to be evaluated as RGB triplet instead. So duplicating and converting the spectrum texture evaluation to RGB triplets is quite a massive change which we don't want to do now. When we've got OSL running we will look into this again.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sens.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.04

Postby knot515 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:14 pm

knot515 Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:14 pm
is there something wrong with the batch script or i'm missing something?
if i have a large number of render targets the window doesn't scroll anymore and i can't get to the start button

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
knot515
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gah5118 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:46 pm

gah5118 Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:46 pm
knot515 wrote:is there something wrong with the batch script or i'm missing something?
if i have a large number of render targets the window doesn't scroll anymore and i can't get to the start button

Capture.JPG

I've been having the same problem since a version or so ago. Just never gotten around to posting about it due to rush projects.

On the other hand, with this release, I really like the render jobs node. Make it so there is a "master node" so multiple render jobs can be connected and ran with one execution rather than multiples; then it's a done deal.
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby knot515 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:28 am

knot515 Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:28 am
gah5118 wrote:
knot515 wrote:is there something wrong with the batch script or i'm missing something?

Capture.JPG

I've been having the same problem since a version or so ago. Just never gotten around to posting about it due to rush projects.

On the other hand, with this release, I really like the render jobs node. Make it so there is a "master node" so multiple render jobs can be connected and ran with one execution rather than multiples; then it's a done deal.

yes, i tried the render jobs node but it's not as convenient as the working batch render script. The node it's limited to 20 jobs but often happens to me to batch even more targets when testing camera angles. And i'm having two minor issues with the node too. The most annoying it's the fact that when i reopen a file it lost some of its connections. dont know why. very annoying when you have to reconnect every time a lot of targets
The second it's the fact that if i paste the directory path it will not save in the directory i selected. this always worked with the batch script.
knot515
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oguzbir » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:05 am

oguzbir Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:05 am
How about updating the official benchmark with Pascal capability?
Since there is no optimizations yet but seems like cuda 8.0RC and 8.0 is more like the same for our developers.
It might be great to see the difference without and with the optimizations to be made..
My Portfolio
windows 10 Pro. |1070 + 1070 + 1070 + 1070 | i7 @4.5Ghz
oguzbir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gah5118 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:43 pm

gah5118 Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:43 pm
agreed, it has some kinks that need to be worked out right now. I think once they iron those things out, it will be a more solid path.

another issue that I found last week, is when setting the start and end frames, then reopening the project, the frames are reset. this needs to be fixed. If i noticed correctly, the begin frame doesn't change, however the end frame gets reset to the last frame of the animation slider.

knot515 wrote:
gah5118 wrote:

Capture.JPG

yes, i tried the render jobs node but it's not as convenient as the working batch render script. The node it's limited to 20 jobs but often happens to me to batch even more targets when testing camera angles. And i'm having two minor issues with the node too. The most annoying it's the fact that when i reopen a file it lost some of its connections. dont know why. very annoying when you have to reconnect every time a lot of targets
The second it's the fact that if i paste the directory path it will not save in the directory i selected. this always worked with the batch script.
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)