OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.03.3

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.03.3
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.03.3 [current 3.xx]

Postby coilbook » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:28 pm

coilbook Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:28 pm
Thank you.

By the way Phoenix fd 3.0 Official is supposed to be release in mid September! Looking forward to Octane supporting it! Thank you
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:36 pm

coilbook Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:36 pm
I have Octane 3 on 3ds max 2015 and OCtane 2 on 3ds max 2016. I used to be able to use them Now I get a message on 3ds max 2016 my standalone license is used somewhere else. Does it mean I am only allowed to use only one octane per computer now?
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:46 pm

FrankPooleFloating Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:46 pm
Hmmm... maybe I am the only one who ever wanted this, but why is there no Aperture on Panoramic Camera? I want to do a DOF'd pano for a WebGL project, and it appears the only way is to do a Z Depth pass and hit with Lens Blur in PS... is this correct? I would think others might want DOF for VR scenes... er, right?
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:19 pm

coilbook Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:19 pm
Please add Mb and Gb used it is hard to tell it is GB or Mb right now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:47 am

Goldorak Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:47 am
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Hmmm... maybe I am the only one who ever wanted this, but why is there no Aperture on Panoramic Camera? I want to do a DOF'd pano for a WebGL project, and it appears the only way is to do a Z Depth pass and hit with Lens Blur in PS... is this correct? I would think others might want DOF for VR scenes... er, right?

Carmack said DOF was not going to look in good in VR so we don't support it in those projections.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:29 pm

FrankPooleFloating Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:29 pm
Thanks for replying G, but that's his opinion, and maybe he doesn't have all of the answers, where things outside of game development are concerned. It would still be very nice to have an Aperture in Panoramic Camera, for anyone that might find the need, or want to create some ART, that colors outside the lines that are drawn from John Carmack's edicts. Spherical images have a few uses beyond boilerplate VR...
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linvanchene » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:33 am

linvanchene Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:33 am
[XY] said DOF was not going to look in good in VR so we don't support it in those projections.

Edited quote in order not to discuss the person but the topic.

-> The quote may have been taken out of its original context.

DOF:
Depth of field is an artistic tool to guide the user where he should look at in the image and underline the objects of importance. This may contradict with forms of VR that offer the user the option to look in which ever direction he is interested in.

But this does not mean that there is no use for DOF in pre rendered VR images. :!:

- human eyes in real life (simplified)
The human eyes "focus" on an object while everything at the border of the field of view may appear less sharp.

real time VR: (simplified)
The way human eyes work could be simulated by automatically calculating "sharpness" depending on
- where the viewer is looking
- the distance of the objects

pre rendered VR:
Because the images are pre rendered it is not possible to anymore adjust image sharpness of the source material.

If the projected VR image would have been pre rendered at F1.4 this would mean that all objects in a 360 angle around the user would only be sharp within a very narrow depth of field.
Even if the user tilts his head up and down objects at other distances in the fore and background would still be blurred.

But not having any depth of field can also not be the solution because it means all images are fully sharp no matter the distance of the objects. What you may want is some subtle depth of field based on the actual scene - interior or landscape.

Some artists still may like to experiment with extreme depth of field settings especially in animated VR experiences.

- - -

-> So please let the artists decide and experiment which DOF settings are optimal to achieve the effect they want.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:49 pm

FrankPooleFloating Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:49 pm
^ Yes! Thanks lin!

More specifically, I want this for the type of scene(s) where you rotate WebGL (three.js in this case) camera around mesh (product etc) that is floating in front of you at center, and Spherical or CameraCube (bg) rotates with your orbit around mesh. I just did some tests with Lens Blur DOF'd spherical map in my scene... and it is effing wicked! :shock: I sure wish I could accomplish this in Octane, because obviously it is way more efficient, and the results would be better than lens blur, for sure. So yeah, here is one example of a need for DOF in spherical camera. :roll:

But regardless, are we not entering an era of VR movies and shite like that?... I have yet to even put on some VR goggles, but I was under the impression that folks will soon have the ability to watch all kinds of crap in VR... Wouldn't this require the full spectrum of camera controls for content creators?

I do understand lenses (a little), and it is my understanding that wide angle typically have little or no DOF. And I can see how one would initially think: "hey, this spherical camera is as wide-angle as humanly possible... can't have DOF here...", but in the context of the much narrower FOV inside VR or WebGL scenes, this is no longer a wide-angle image... right?

I'd really love to get some wing men here. Guys, if nothing else but for the specific reason of spherical bg renders for product showcases and whatnot, would you not at least like to have the freakin' option to render DOF in spherical camera? Who's with me?
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:58 pm

coilbook Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:58 pm
Lots of slave errors and main PC errors (pc BSOD, 3ds max crashes, render stops at the end of the frame, etc) during animation rendering especially if VDBs are used or Medium in the Sun. I remember when you released 2.2 version you eliminated all cuda errors somehow but with version 3 they are all back. (so it is not temperature related)

If you create a complex scene with motion blur objects and VDBs and render for 10 hours I think you should be able to recreate all the errors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:37 am

bepeg4d Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:37 am
Hi coilbook,
could you share an example scene that shows the issue?
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)