OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 [current 3.xx]

Postby Refracty » Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm

Refracty Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm
Great.
Now it is clear.

abstrax wrote:
Refracty wrote:When I use octane 3 with the rhino plugin in network render mode there is a part of the image (cubic stereo high res image) that clears much faster then the rest. Is this normal when you mix different kinds of gpus?

No, please read the new features post specifically the chapters about the film buffers and network rendering especially the option "minimize net traffic".
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Tue May 31, 2016 1:51 pm

bepeg4d Tue May 31, 2016 1:51 pm
manalokos wrote:In version 3, the render doesn't update so often, so for testing purposes it becomes more difficult to consider this as realtime rendering.

Hi,
you can interactively adapt the new "Max. tile samples" without restarting the render in order to change the updating time.
If you are using net rendering, make sure to untick the "Minimize Net Traffic" option ;)
Here you can find a more detailed explanation on how works the new kernel:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=51679
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby manalokos » Tue May 31, 2016 3:16 pm

manalokos Tue May 31, 2016 3:16 pm
Thanks Beppe, even with the Max tile samples set to 1 it doesn't update as fast.

Anyway I've been testing some scenes, and I notice that the images converge much more slowly, specially when there are caustics.
We upgraded today all our licenses, but I am reluctant to start using it, as the time to takes to clear an image is much longer.

Tests made with pathtracing, caustic blur 0.05,.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
manalokos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kavorka » Tue May 31, 2016 7:13 pm

kavorka Tue May 31, 2016 7:13 pm
We are getting a crash when copying an AO pass to the clipboard. Tried it on 3 different scenes on 3 different computers.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby milanm » Tue May 31, 2016 7:40 pm

milanm Tue May 31, 2016 7:40 pm
roeland wrote:
milanm wrote:In V2 we could use boundary interpolation to eliminate distortion on UVs but in V3 none of the options make any difference.
Same distortion can also be reproduced in Cinema 4D if the method for subdividing UVs is set to 'Standard' instead of 'Boundary' or 'Edge'.

Regards
Milan

I think the issue is the topology of the UV coordinates.
→ In OpenSubdiv 2.x it doesn't make a difference whether or not the UV's are duplicated accross polygons, or if there is one value referenced by more than one polygon.
→ OpenSubdiv 3 treats UV coordinates in the same way as vertices, so in the first case (duplicated UVs) OpenSubdiv treats it as a discontinuity and you get distortion.

For instance, the attached file contains 2 tessellated planes, and the one with duplicated UV coordinates shows the distortion:
BoundaryInterpolation.orbx

--
Roeland

Thanks Roeland, this helped me find where's the problem.

I did a bit of research and I discovered that ALL UVs are like that by default in Cinema 4D!
Further more, as far as I know, there is NO way to weld UV vertices in C4D! :shock:
When I imported the two obj plane files from your example I got the same issue with UVs on both of them.
At first I couldn't tell the difference, but after checking them out in a different 3d app I realized where's the problem..
Also, it's definitely not obj/FBX import issue because new geometry modeled and UV mapped in C4D also has the same issues.

I guess dealing with this in OctaneC4D plugin would slow down geometry updates, so the only way out for C4D users would be for Octane to support unstiched / unwelded / duplicated UVs. Without that, I'm afraid this feature would be useless for C4D users :(

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Thanks again.

Edit: ..Some references:
http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/topic/85284-weld-uv-points/#comment-583189
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5698826#post5698826

Regards
Milan
Last edited by milanm on Tue May 31, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colorist / VFX artist / Motion Designer
macOS - Windows 7 - Cinema 4D R19.068 - GTX1070TI - GTX780
milanm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby grimm » Tue May 31, 2016 8:20 pm

grimm Tue May 31, 2016 8:20 pm
abstrax wrote:
grimm wrote:Also I am having issues with the render region. When I select a region it restarts the render in the region. It used to just continue on from the point the render was at.

I just tried it and if you use the interactive region rendering tool it does not restart rendering. If there is a reproducible way to trigger a restart while just selecting a render region, then that's a bug and it would be great if you would let me know how to reproduce the bug.

Also is there a way to reset the region, basically turn it off and start to render the entire image again? Thanks, :D

Just click somewhere into the viewport with the interactive render region tool enabled.

Thanks Abstrax, All I did was load an old project, pre 3.0, and start the render. Maybe that had something to do with it? Otherwise I'm not able to reproduce it. :/ It was just restarting within the region not the entire image. Also I have the viewport in a separate window, if that makes any difference.
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Faustik » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:16 pm

Faustik Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:16 pm
Hi guys,
i´ve just purchased the V3 and I found that Region doesn´t work in my case. :|
Win7 64bit SP1 / i5 2500k 3,3GHz / RAM 8Gb / MB Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H -graphic integrated for display / 2x NVidia GeForce GTX 570 1280MB / HD 1TB
Archicad 17 >> Cinema4D R15.037 >> Octane Standalone 3.00 + Octane C4D plugin 3.00
Faustik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:40 pm

abstrax Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:40 pm
Faustik wrote:Hi guys,
i´ve just purchased the V3 and I found that Region doesn´t work in my case. :|

What doesn't work? Could you please a bit more specific.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:37 am

abstrax Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:37 am
Zay wrote:
abstrax wrote:I tried to reproduce your issue with various scenes with no luck. Unless you've got a way or scene to reproduce the problem we have to debug the problem on your system.

I think I just found the problem when I was trying out your octane_log_flags.txt file.
It's when you use the Region Render tool. Works fine if you don't use a slave. But when the slave is active the render will not finish if the Region Render tool has been used while rendering.
I can reproduce it on a simple scene with a cube.

I still can't reproduce the problem. This is what I did:

- opened Standalone
- activated network rendering
- created a specular material
- started rendering of the material ball
- draw a render region
- let it render a bit
- disable render region

It always finishes on the specified maximum samples/pixel. Independent of the kernel I use. Could you give me step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the problem? Thanks.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Zay » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:18 pm

Zay Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:18 pm
If you accidentally start two instances of the master or slave, you will be forced to use your login info next time it is run. Could you please fix that?
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)