OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.24.2

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.24.2
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.24.2 [current 2.xx]

Postby kavorka » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:27 pm

kavorka Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:27 pm
mojave wrote:
kavorka wrote:We still get random crashes when saving images. It happens on 3 different computers.

How are you saving your render and what format are you using to do so? Could you please provide the steps to try to reproduce this?

Thank you.

This happens when just hitting the save button in Octane and saving a regular PNG 8bpc image.
it does save the image, but crashes while doing it.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:55 pm

coilbook Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:55 pm
Any eta on OCtane 3 and cloud Thanks
Last edited by coilbook on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:33 pm

mojave Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:33 pm
kavorka wrote:This happens when just hitting the save button in Octane and saving a regular PNG 8bpc image.
it does save the image, but crashes while doing it.

I'm following up here.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby roeland » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:44 am

roeland Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:44 am
darkline wrote:Hi Roeland,

I never knew about this and I have to say it's fantastic. Eliminates the need to use matte materials, and all that 'visible' to camera fiddling around. Thank you so much for this explanation. I am almost there now with what I'm trying to do. The layer ID system is really good!!

A question about 'reflections'. If I understand this right, reflection direct, and reflection indirect passes are all the reflections from other layers/environment onto the current layer ID.... However 'reflections' pass are all the reflections from the current layer ID onto other Layers? This is great as it allowed me to render a single session with the passes I need, the 'reflections' pass is showing the table reflection of the robot, while the beauty is just the solo robot - which is great. However, the reflections pass is also showing other objects resting on my table which are assigned to other layers. Not just their reflection, but the actual objects themselves. These objects don't have reflective materials on them, they are diffuse materials with no reflective properties, so to my understanding should not be showing anything in a reflection pass.

Is there any way to exclude other layer ID's from reflections? What am I not doing right here?

But thanks so much for your help, I have a much better understanding of how octane's layers work now, and it'll make this process a lot easier.

The “Reflection direct” and “Reflection indirect” passes are in the group called “Beauty passes”. They capture any specular reflections, and they have “Diffuse” counterparts to capture reflections on diffuse materials as well. This group can be used to split the rendering of the current render layer into separate parts, depending on the kind of material and light.

The “Reflection” pass under the Render layer passes captures all reflections of objects in the current layer on objects in other layers. This pass includes both diffuse and specular reflections, which is why you can still see reflections on diffuse objects.

What do you mean with “Not just their reflection, but the actual objects themselves.”?

--
Roeland
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby darkline » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:28 am

darkline Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:28 am
Ah yes - in the 3dsmax octane viewport the passes are not labelled into beauty etc, so I didnt notice. But they are in the render elements window and it's much clearer there. Thanks.

What I mean by the last statement is that I have my robot on layer 1. Next to it, two spheres, on layer 3. The table on layer 2. The only thing in the scene which is reflective/glossy is the table. Both spheres have diffuse materials.

I activate layer 1 and view the reflections pass - it's showing me the table - with robot reflection, the robot insivible (good so far) - but I can also see the spheres with their diffuse material in this pass - almost like a light source is coming from the robot onto them. But both these spheres have no reflective properties whatsoever, so I'd expect them to be invisible or be visible but totally black (because there are not reflective). However they show with their original diffuse material in the reflection pass - is this normal?

Finally I was trying to say that being able to choose which layers were part of the reflections and shadow passes would help a great deal. At the moment they include every layer ID (bar the one rendering - the beauty pass), and it'd be great to be able to exclude certain objects/layers from receiving the shadows/reflections. An example would be a shot I have to do next - a light shining through an open doorway with a character stood in that shaft. All I want is the beauty pass of the character and the floor shadow pass for compositing into my shot footage - but obviously I need to create 'invsible' walls and door frames to sculpt the direct and indirect light on the character and floor in the beauty pass. However I don't want to see the frames/walls in any of the passes. I don't want shadows of these showing up in my shadow pass of the floor. if I'm not explaining clearly, let me know and Ill take some screen grabs.

thanks again Roeland!
Windows 7 64bit/ Intel 3930K/ ASUS Rampage IV/ GTX980ti x 2/ 64GB system RAM
darkline
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kavorka » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:20 pm

kavorka Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:20 pm
Every once in a while our daemons crash. Just happened last night. on 2 of our computers, the daemons say "Slave crashed or was stopped via CTRL-C. They were running all night and nobody was on the computers.
One computer had no problems.
All computers are on win 7 x64. The computer that made it has a single 780 ti. One of the comps that didnt had 2 580s and the other has a 690 and a 780ti.

This has happened before as well.

Is it possible to add time stamps to the daemons so we can see when they crash? I dont knoe if it happened at the same time or not.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:11 pm

BorisGoreta Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:11 pm
This happens to me often on both nodes. It says the same thing. What I have to do is go network options and activate the node again. I don't have to reset the node or anything like that.
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby roeland » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:58 pm

roeland Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:58 pm
darkline wrote:Ah yes - in the 3dsmax octane viewport the passes are not labelled into beauty etc, so I didnt notice. But they are in the render elements window and it's much clearer there. Thanks.

What I mean by the last statement is that I have my robot on layer 1. Next to it, two spheres, on layer 3. The table on layer 2. The only thing in the scene which is reflective/glossy is the table. Both spheres have diffuse materials.

I activate layer 1 and view the reflections pass - it's showing me the table - with robot reflection, the robot insivible (good so far) - but I can also see the spheres with their diffuse material in this pass - almost like a light source is coming from the robot onto them. But both these spheres have no reflective properties whatsoever, so I'd expect them to be invisible or be visible but totally black (because there are not reflective). However they show with their original diffuse material in the reflection pass - is this normal?

Finally I was trying to say that being able to choose which layers were part of the reflections and shadow passes would help a great deal. At the moment they include every layer ID (bar the one rendering - the beauty pass), and it'd be great to be able to exclude certain objects/layers from receiving the shadows/reflections. An example would be a shot I have to do next - a light shining through an open doorway with a character stood in that shaft. All I want is the beauty pass of the character and the floor shadow pass for compositing into my shot footage - but obviously I need to create 'invsible' walls and door frames to sculpt the direct and indirect light on the character and floor in the beauty pass. However I don't want to see the frames/walls in any of the passes. I don't want shadows of these showing up in my shadow pass of the floor. if I'm not explaining clearly, let me know and Ill take some screen grabs.

thanks again Roeland!

The name of the beauty passes use the more common meaning of the term, eg. reflections on a mirror, or on a lake. The more technical term for this is "specular reflection", meaning that a material reflects light coming from one direction in more or less the mirrored direction.

There is also diffuse reflection, meaning incoming light is reflected in a more random direction.

The Reflections pass for the render layers uses the broader meaning and includes both diffuse and specular reflection.

Have a look at this image:

reflection.jpg

All materials here are pure diffuse. You can see light reflected on the green box and on the surrounding surfaces. If you would use render layers to only render that box, the reflections layer pass will still capture this green reflections on surrounding surfaces. These reflections are an effect which is not there without the box, so they have to be added to the background when compositing the final picture.

As for the other planes to "sculpt the light": you can disable the "camera visibility" and "shadow visibility". They will not cast shadows in the shadow pass anyway because they have a different layer ID. They may however block other light which would be visible in the reflections pass. Can you show an image of what you expect vs. what you are getting in Octane?

--
Roeland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldisart » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:31 am

Goldisart Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:31 am
with increasing sources of light - the light on the reflecting surfaces does not work properly .Direct light
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Goldisart
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:59 am

Zay Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:59 am
I have a light close to the ceiling but It will cast a shadow if I disable the "camera visibility" and "shadow visibility" for the light. Is this normal behavior?
shadow.jpg
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)