OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.16

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.16
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.16 [current 2.xx]

Postby grimm » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:26 am

grimm Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:26 am
It's definitely related to the UV islands for sure, maybe they are being generated with the vertices in reverse order?
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:56 am

Rikk The Gaijin Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:56 am
grimm wrote:It's definitely related to the UV islands for sure, maybe they are being generated with the vertices in reverse order?

Just to be sure, I imported the same object in Marmoset Toolbag 2, and again the normal map is displayed correctly, so it's definitely an Octane bug.
marmoset.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:09 am

abstrax Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:09 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:
grimm wrote:It's definitely related to the UV islands for sure, maybe they are being generated with the vertices in reverse order?

Just to be sure, I imported the same object in Marmoset Toolbag 2, and again the normal map is displayed correctly, so it's definitely an Octane bug.
marmoset.jpg

The normal maps need to be in tangential coordinate space with the correct RGB -> XYZ assignment (there are 3 different possibilities). Could you please post or send us the geometry, so we can have a look at it? Thanks.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby bepeg4d » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:33 am

bepeg4d Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:33 am
hi,
big thanks for the new version, unfortunately is still not possible to use the numeric fields in the color chooser box under osx, only the sliders are working.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby abstrax » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:02 am

abstrax Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:02 am
enricocerica wrote:Hi,

I have two GTX580 in my cubix expansion box, it works fine if I activate only one card but if I activate both of them, it crashes very often with a BSOD. I discovered that if I set the Minimum display samples to at least 2, I have no problem, as soon as I set it back to 1 it crashes again.

Any idea why I got this problem and if there is a way to avoid it as I don't always think to set it to 2.

Sorry, I've got no idea what the problem is, but it sounds like a driver problem. Which driver do you use and did you try different versions?
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:04 am

abstrax Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:04 am
augdalmo wrote:I think the section dedicated to the camera should be developed and implemented as it should.

Currently there is no possibility to change the focal length, and even to change the diaphragm, in an independent manner, and then the depth of field does not reflect a true optical. The adjustment of the opening should not be removed but implemented with the ability to adjust the shutter speed.

Clearly the commitment to develop these functions is significant but still possible and desirable.

Seems to me that Maxwell render has implemented a series of optics with different focal lengths that are based on real physical composition of the lens and then automatically you get adjustments focus based on the depth of field effect and not fictitious. The light passing through a lens is regulated by several factors, however these are currently free will of those who use the program and therefore do not reflect an actual behavior of optics.
I do not understand what it's for a camera with the parameters blocked, when varied the scale automatically changes the opening! so I can not change the focal length, it seems logical? Very limiting. Not at all real.
With C4D I can adjust various parameters of the camera, I can not say the same for Octane Standalone.
What is the sense that the software has the default opening of 2,8F? Which is almost the maximum for a common optic?

If we boast a render engine unbaiased, why the camera is not real?
Think about it ...

Did you try viewtopic.php?f=73&t=43948 ?
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:09 am

Rikk The Gaijin Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:09 am
abstrax wrote:The normal maps need to be in tangential coordinate space with the correct RGB -> XYZ assignment (there are 3 different possibilities). Could you please post or send us the geometry, so we can have a look at it? Thanks.

Here's the file. Pronto!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:49 am

abstrax Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:49 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:Here's the file. Pronto!

Yes, your normal map is not in tangent space (see http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Standalo ... age_id=527), but in world space. And the UV map is just randomly oriented:
chaos.png
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby akira » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:07 pm

akira Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:07 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:Here's the file. Pronto!

Hi, i solved it by
1. invert the green channel of the normal map file.
2. material -> normal map -> invert

hope it helps.
normal_setting.JPG
akira
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:46 pm

Rikk The Gaijin Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:46 pm
abstrax wrote:Yes, your normal map is not in tangent space (see http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Standalo ... age_id=527), but in world space. And the UV map is just randomly oriented:

Ok, but then why does Maya and Marmoset display it correctly? :ugeek:
akira wrote:Hi, i solved it by
1. invert the green channel of the normal map file.
2. material -> normal map -> invert

hope it helps.

Hi Akira, yes that's the same solution as reported by abstrax. In zBrush if you check the "FlipG" button, it inverts the green channel. ;)
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)