Perfect multi-gpu scalability.

Forums: Perfect multi-gpu scalability.
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: Perfect multi-gpu scalability.

Postby radiance » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:05 pm

radiance Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:05 pm
grabiller wrote:I understand,

my rendering targets are HD, Full HD and 2K ( 1:85 ).

I can already see the near linear speedup at these resolutions, both in path tracing and direct lighting modes.

That's really great.

I'll be able to start some tests for our feature length 3d animation projects, to decide if we take the risk to go with Octane or not. The production wont start before January 2011. This will also depend on the features available in Octane at that time. We may be well the first production company to take this risk, afaik. We can discuss this privately if you like, it would be helpfull to us to have a more precise idea of the roadmap, for us to have a better visibility on what we can expect at that time.

Cheers,
Guy.

Sure,

I've always been honest with people asking me what's possible with octane from a film-pipeline point of view, and I won't hesitate to warn you about certain things.
I think it's doable to use octane for specific types of animations and parts of a production.

If you want to contact me via email, just send a mail to me (email is on our about us page): info at refractivesoftware dot com

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby Carl S. » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:20 pm

Carl S. Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:20 pm
I am not getting perfect scalability with my xpanders with gtx 480's.
I will get it for the first few seconds but then it drops down to 50% of one card.
For instance: 1x GTX480= 8 Msamples/sec
2xGTX480's= 16 Msamples/sec for the first second then drops down to 12 Msamples/sec

Is this normal?
Carl S.
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:53 pm

radiance Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Carl S. wrote:I am not getting perfect scalability with my xpanders with gtx 480's.
I will get it for the first few seconds but then it drops down to 50% of one card.
For instance: 1x GTX480= 8 Msamples/sec
2xGTX480's= 16 Msamples/sec for the first second then drops down to 12 Msamples/sec

Is this normal?

you need to render large format, complex scenes with a decent depth, eg with the pathtracing kernel.
if you render small images with directlighting you may approach the tonemapping limit.

just try to render at say 2048x1024 with patchtracing maxdepth=16 and a decent scene.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Previous

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)