Archicad into Octane. Again.

Forums: Archicad into Octane. Again.
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Archicad into Octane. Again.

Postby fraydo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:07 pm

fraydo Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:07 pm
Hi, I'm brand spanking new to octane and would like to ask what is the best work flow strategy for working between Archicad and Octane. I get that the general steps involve exporting to a .3ds file then taking it into Blender to come up with a .obj file for octane. However, can someone be more specific with the UV mapping step that is involved in the Blender portion? Or at least point me to the right direction- youtube wise?

Sorry, I've been an Artlantis guy for a long time, and the process of applying textures on Octane is proving to be very different than what I'm used to.

Thanks,

Fredo
fraydo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Archicad into Octane. Again.

Postby necko77 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:46 am

necko77 Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:46 am
there are a lot of thing that you need to learn . . . use youtube, vimeo and other resorces and trust me there is a lot of tuts out there

for start take a look at this tutorial...i wish that i could see this when i start learning unwraping . . . http://vimeo.com/21943368

this will help in a way that you will see your unwraping live and you will learn how unwraping works using seams . . . when you understand this than you will be able to go further...

I remember that i started like...i will learn only unwraping and texturing in blender but now im learning modeling too. . . blender is great program with great futures and

every day blender suprise me with soemthing new !

write if you need more info and if you have some questions
ArchiCad, Blender, Moi3d
GTX 580 3GB
Win 7, 64 Bit
necko77

Re: Archicad into Octane. Again.

Postby fraydo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:39 pm

fraydo Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:39 pm
I agree with you a 100%. Unfortunately, I'm already exceeding the amount of things I can do and learn at the moment.
I did, however, find a way around the problem I was experiencing last night, which might help those archicad users that are strictly using it to model and holding off on the application of final textures until they are on the Octane spectrum of the rendering process.

Simply export as a Cinema 4d file. Delete the sun and cameras associated with the archicad environment and use the octane plugin for C4d to export as an .obj file. No UV mapping required. You can just go ahead and start applying textures in Octane.

Please Note:
This might be the crux of this process - but never the less. Make sure that you have a good idea where the direction of materials are going on your object mesh. Make sure that all elements have a specific material assigned to them. So if you have a wall that is angled and whose material needs to bleed into a floor feature - be sure that both elements are assigned different materials (there might be a better way of doing this, this is something that I know how to maneuver through in Artlantis but not in Octane).
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-10-02 at 9.39.08 PM.jpg
rough screenshot of my first pass on Octane
fraydo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Resources and Sharing