how to turn on the lights

Forums: how to turn on the lights
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

how to turn on the lights

Postby kubo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:58 pm

kubo Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:58 pm
This is a small tip, some of you might have already figure it out, or even found a better solution, but for those of you that haven't it might come handy, or even better you might find some other neat uses that you can share.
Just recently I had to do a video for a client. As usual it was some archviz stuff, a residential building. The client wanted to start the video showing the building coming up to life from night to sunrise. The sunrising part was easy thanks to the scripts, but a residential building waking up means, amongst other things, lights turning on and off inside the rooms, street lamps turning off, and so on. So I gave it some thought. Right now we don't have a way to control the light power from our modeling app to Octane. So I thought I needed a dimmer or switch of sorts. Then I thought of the efficiency parameter of the emitter materials in Octane. There you could add a value but also an image.
light_control.jpg

So why not create a gradient map, assign it to the light mesh and animate it over time from black to white when I wanted to switch on the light and inverse to turn it off. Well, I did some test to see if it worked, and of course it did.
So then I went back to my modeling app, created 4 different materials (so I could have different temperature lights) assigned them randomly, then I animated one of the instances and randomly moved the key frames along the timeline.
uvmap.gif
uvmap.gif (8.85 KiB) Viewed 2337 times

Then I exported a middle frame to octane keeping in mind a couple of those lights "switch" position and tweaked the material till it looked good.
light_material.jpg

and there I had my building waking up!
azu_anima_0163.gif
azu_anima_0163.gif (523.48 KiB) Viewed 2337 times

this is just a small crop of the final 720HD frame rendered for 2048 samples in PT for 6min
It looked great (thanks to Octane mainly) and my client was really pleased. If they put up the video somewhere I'll add the link, meanwhile I hope some of you find it useful and you are welcome to add any extra tip to help us all get the most out of Octane.
Cheers
Kubo
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

Re: how to turn on the lights

Postby Jaberwocky » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Jaberwocky Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 pm
Great tip

would never have thought of that one.

A good bit of lateral thinking!
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ttaberna » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:10 am

ttaberna Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:10 am
:o Very usefull tip for archviz industry!!
Thanx
Rampage IV Extreme+i7 3920k+2x GTX580 3GB+2x GTX470
ttaberna
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby niuq.cam » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:50 am

niuq.cam Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:50 am
Thank you. Very useful. It give ideas !
niuq.cam
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer