NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby drunknbass » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:42 pm

drunknbass Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:42 pm
swartzfeger wrote:Subscribed to thread. Bought a brand new 16" MBP a few months for 99% audio production and on a fluke downloaded Blender... and I haven't picked up my guitar since, lol :D

Then I started to discover all the gotchas of 3D on macOS... I really haven't touched 3d software on the Mac since the early/mid 90s with stuff like Bryce.

So I was surprised and disappointed to find out I could only CPU render in Blender. Read more, found out about Metal, Nvidia and Apple having catfights, etc. Then I discovered Octane.

I CAN'T WAIT!

So, from what I've gleaned so far -- my older mid-2014 (Nvidia) MBP will probably not be able to use Octane X but my new 2019 16" should be good to go? (AMD Radeon Pro 5500M).

You can get older Macs to work w/ eGPU via PurgeWrangler (or other patches to allow Thunderbolt2)
I used it on my 2015 w/ Vega64 eGPU. Only hiccups were related to TB2 and it not supporting hot swapping.
drunknbass
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Peterpeterpeterpeter » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:22 pm

Peterpeterpeterpeter Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:22 pm
Does anyone else experience the denoiser to be very slow? Im on a 2020 imac i9 with rx 5700 xt. A test render that took 5 sec without denoiser and over a minute with the denoiser on (with denoise on completion checked). Is this how it should be or a ”bug”? It makes the denoiser rather unusable for animations.
Im new to Octane and have been using Corona renderer for the past two years. Im very excitet about Octane X :)
Peterpeterpeterpeter

Postby jhansen » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:52 am

jhansen Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:52 am
Would it be possible for the Octane render team to update the OB scores in the original post with numbers from any of the new AMD Big Navi cards? Assuming there is a card at hand for testing.

Would be interesting to see if it's worth lining up for a replacement of my two Radeon VII cards.
iMac Retina 5K (2019)
3,6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Render GPUs: 2 x Radeon VII 16 GB (Razer Core X)
Viewport GPU: Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB
macOS Big Sur 10.2.3 | Cinema 4D R23.110 | Octane X PR8
jhansen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby design monkey » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:45 pm

design monkey Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:45 pm
Goldorak wrote:Big Sur is standalone only for now - we are waiting to roll out one final Catalina plug-ins update before moving everything over to Big Sur this coming week. It is especially difficult to support both Big Sur and Catalina at once, we have to pick one or the other right now per build machine, so we are doing one final round for Catalina now, then all focus on Big Sur, including Prime and Demo versions and Apple Silicon, Polaris, Intel and Big Navi support in plug-ins along with Navi and Vega as we have in Catalina.

Will there be any difference between the Catalina and Big Sur versions? Will there be an advantage to one over the other?

Will Catalina continue to be supported going forward?

I'd rather stick with Catalina and wait on upgrading to Big Sur if possible to let all the kinks get sorted out.
design monkey

Postby MotionChris » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:44 pm

MotionChris Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:44 pm
Hi, i was wondering if anyone knew how to download the full free version of octane X with Big Sur? and if the Cinema 4D Plugin would be included?
MotionChris

Postby alan_alves » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:17 pm

alan_alves Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:17 pm
Has anyone managed to download the new version for Big Sur announced by twitter an hour ago?
alan_alves
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cjadams » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:14 pm

cjadams Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:14 pm
Ok a bit confused here..

I see a PR5 bigsur enterprise plugin avail.. but NOT a PR5 Standalone. In my downloads.

I was under the impression these all had to match..
I.e use PR5 ENT. Standalone WITH PR5 ENT CInema4d PLUGIN

Am i missing something here? Or do we still have to wait?
Will these sync up again with PR6?
cjadams
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Weezer » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:28 pm

Weezer Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:28 pm
Well, CJ, thanks for letting me know that the Big Sur C4D plugin was available – I kind of hoped Otoy might have told me, but I've got it now nonetheless!

Really, they need to sort this shit out.
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby drunknbass » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:32 pm

drunknbass Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:32 pm
cjadams wrote:Ok a bit confused here..

I see a PR5 bigsur enterprise plugin avail.. but NOT a PR5 Standalone. In my downloads.

I was under the impression these all had to match..
I.e use PR5 ENT. Standalone WITH PR5 ENT CInema4d PLUGIN

Am i missing something here? Or do we still have to wait?
Will these sync up again with PR6?

You need an enterprise subscription to access the current C4D plugin that is working on Big Sur?
Studio subscription isn't suffecient?
drunknbass
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Weezer » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:08 am

Weezer Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:08 am
No, I just signed up for a monthly Studio subscription, C4D plugin works – I only have two GPUs.
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Resources and Sharing