NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby LUKEBB » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:58 pm

LUKEBB Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:58 pm
drunknbass wrote:
LUKEBB wrote:Do you have an update on when the C4D plugin for Big Sur might be ready by? Thanks

Jules Urbach: in the next 10 days on PR5/6 - have to finish catalina versions first before we do the big sur releases for plugins

Thanks DrunknBass! - good to know, so can actually work out another solution now there's an actual timeframe. I have screwed over my client which is not a good look - I wish Octane was upfront with the delay and didn't suggest that it was going to be available early last week.
LUKEBB

Postby Goldorak » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:01 pm

Goldorak Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:01 pm
LUKEBB wrote:
drunknbass wrote:
LUKEBB wrote:Do you have an update on when the C4D plugin for Big Sur might be ready by? Thanks

Jules Urbach: in the next 10 days on PR5/6 - have to finish catalina versions first before we do the big sur releases for plugins

Thanks DrunknBass! - good to know, so can actually work out another solution now there's an actual timeframe. I have screwed over my client which is not a good look - I wish Octane was upfront with the delay and didn't suggest that it was going to be available early last week.

I understand completely. As with any Octane development release builds, and doubly so when paired with a major new major OS release like MacOS 11 (which is a huge delta after 20 years of macOS 10.x updates), I would not recommend starting a project on any kind of deadline which depends on unreleased software. If you are on C4D, PR4 Catalina is likely the current best option for latest features and stability.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby zach0825 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:53 am

zach0825 Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:53 am
Compute error 2097152:116:
compute device 0: Linking 6d197dfc90d19e72 shader failed
device 0: failed to initialize render thread 0x7fa78b60b620

I use Mac Pro2019 AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB graphics card
Why does this happen? what should I do?
zach0825

Postby drunknbass » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:37 pm

drunknbass Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:37 pm
LUKEBB wrote:
drunknbass wrote:

I know the feeling. I was stupid and signed up to a 3D course (School of motion Ascent) when PR1 was released under the assumption it would be final by Sep. (the original Big Sur release date). Understandably this is Apple's doing, but it is curious the main competitor to Octane was ready to go on day 1.
I am not familiar enough with Octane to know where things are broken (like denoising not working, vertex maps from C4D)
So I basically lose out on the peer feedback portion of my course with the hopes of returning to it when things stabilize.

This is entirely MY doing, but having a clear roadmap would have at least grounded me.

Chasing these particular releases has become a little burdensome.

Otherwise Octane X is really amazing, and runs super fast (faster than RS) on my hardware. I can't wait until this is resolved.

There is also a new Octane specific course slated for Jan 2021
( https://www.schoolofmotion.com/lights-camera-render )
and I am hesitant to sign up until things are more defined.
drunknbass
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:17 pm

JimStar Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:17 pm
The BETA version of OctaneX for Maya v18.17 (Catalina only) is ready and available on Maya forum section.
Please report any issues in this version's forum thread (https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=76350).
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby swartzfeger » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:54 am

swartzfeger Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:54 am
Subscribed to thread. Bought a brand new 16" MBP a few months for 99% audio production and on a fluke downloaded Blender... and I haven't picked up my guitar since, lol :D

Then I started to discover all the gotchas of 3D on macOS... I really haven't touched 3d software on the Mac since the early/mid 90s with stuff like Bryce.

So I was surprised and disappointed to find out I could only CPU render in Blender. Read more, found out about Metal, Nvidia and Apple having catfights, etc. Then I discovered Octane.

I CAN'T WAIT!

So, from what I've gleaned so far -- my older mid-2014 (Nvidia) MBP will probably not be able to use Octane X but my new 2019 16" should be good to go? (AMD Radeon Pro 5500M).
swartzfeger

Postby Goldorak » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:40 am

Goldorak Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:40 am
swartzfeger wrote:Subscribed to thread. Bought a brand new 16" MBP a few months for 99% audio production and on a fluke downloaded Blender... and I haven't picked up my guitar since, lol :D

Then I started to discover all the gotchas of 3D on macOS... I really haven't touched 3d software on the Mac since the early/mid 90s with stuff like Bryce.

So I was surprised and disappointed to find out I could only CPU render in Blender. Read more, found out about Metal, Nvidia and Apple having catfights, etc. Then I discovered Octane.

I CAN'T WAIT!

So, from what I've gleaned so far -- my older mid-2014 (Nvidia) MBP will probably not be able to use Octane X but my new 2019 16" should be good to go? (AMD Radeon Pro 5500M).

In theory an NVIDIA MBP could use OctaneRender (CUDA) up to 10.13. But beyond that (starting with 10.15.6 and soon Big Sur), your AMD card should work fine with Octane X and other Metal GPUs (from AMD/Intel/Apple M1)
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby JimStar » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:09 am

JimStar Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:09 am
The BETA version of OctaneX for Maya v18.18 (Big Sur only) is ready and available on Maya forum section.
Please report any issues in this version's forum thread (https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=76353).
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby swartzfeger » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:13 am

swartzfeger Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:13 am
Goldorak wrote:your AMD card should work fine with Octane X and other Metal GPUs (from AMD/Intel/Apple M1)

question -- will Octane X also leverage the Metal-compliant Intel UHD 630 in my MBP, or will it only tap into the dedicated Radeon Pro?
swartzfeger

Postby Goldorak » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:15 am

Goldorak Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:15 am
swartzfeger wrote:
Goldorak wrote:your AMD card should work fine with Octane X and other Metal GPUs (from AMD/Intel/Apple M1)

question -- will Octane X also leverage the Metal-compliant Intel UHD 630 in my MBP, or will it only tap into the dedicated Radeon Pro?

yes - it should already be testable on PR4 Big Sur released earlier and working on PR5 big sur plug-ins (like Maya) coming out now.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Resources and Sharing