TUTORIAL: How to use RenderTargets for powerful scene setups

Forums: TUTORIAL: How to use RenderTargets for powerful scene setups
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Re: TUTORIAL: How to use RenderTargets for powerful scene setups

Postby archigrafix » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:19 am

archigrafix Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:19 am
abstrax wrote:
Jaberwocky wrote:Thanks marcus

So to clarify.

I could for example create 24 camera positions across say 10 obj files , sharing tonemapping/lighting etc all loaded in 1 ocs file.That file would load into the Host CPU memory where it will be voxalised and held ready for when i click on a camera node.After the camera node is clicked only that portion required is sent to the GPU memory to be rendered.

So if i have a huge scene i could split the obj files and as long as i have say 16-32Gb of memory (which of course is very cheap nowdays) i need only have a 1-2 gb Video card.

That may also answer the 64 node limit problem on textures. :o

Yes you could do that. Obviously the whole node graph may get a bit "messy" but I don't see a reason why it should not work.

Cheers,

Marcus

Do you mean we can combine a scene with multiple obj meshes?????
I thought it wasnt possible: I tested myself and I dont find a way to attach for example 2 different meshes on one render target
archigrafix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby t_3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:28 am

t_3 Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:28 am
archigrafix wrote:Do you mean we can combine a scene with multiple obj meshes?????
I thought it wasnt possible: I tested myself and I dont find a way to attach for example 2 different meshes on one render target

imo what they are discussing is, to split a big scene into smaller parts and render them one after the other within one scene. would need post compositing anyways (and doesn't sound really practicable to me).

currently you can't render different mesh node at once - but afaik the upcoming instancing update will allow exactly that...
The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply

1x i7 2600K @5.0 (Asrock Z77), 16GB, 2x Asus GTX Titan 6GB @1200/3100/6200
2x i7 2600K @4.5 (P8Z68 -V P), 12GB, 1x EVGA GTX 580 3GB @0900/2200/4400
t_3

Postby archigrafix » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:51 am

archigrafix Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:51 am
thanx T3. Of course it is a workaround and better than nothing but then object wont interact between them (shadows reflections etc...)
Any idea of timing for instances... I know you get used (bored?) about that sort of question but it is a so long time request
archigrafix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby t_3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:56 am

t_3 Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:56 am
archigrafix wrote:thanx T3. Of course it is a workaround and better than nothing but then object wont interact between them (shadows reflections etc...)
Any idea of timing for instances... I know you get used (bored?) about that sort of question but it is a so long time request

never mind - i'm only forum mod and have no insight in refractive's secret schedules (nor their not so secret) ;)
imo what should describe it best: "when it's done" :)
The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply

1x i7 2600K @5.0 (Asrock Z77), 16GB, 2x Asus GTX Titan 6GB @1200/3100/6200
2x i7 2600K @4.5 (P8Z68 -V P), 12GB, 1x EVGA GTX 580 3GB @0900/2200/4400
t_3

Postby jalley » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:13 pm

jalley Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:13 pm
Hi there,

I came back to this post after - actually - afew years ;-). Sounds like I am "Back to the Future" (last post was 5 years ago). Anyway, the thing is I am using Octane with Unity, and I am wondering if it would be possible to use an Octane setup where I render multiple cameras within a single frame. Is there a way to do that by using different PBR Render Targets? The problem of Octane in Unity now, is that you can not script the camera linked to the PBR Render Target, so I had to replicate PBR Render Targets having one for each camera. However to change cmaera I need to click 'Render' on each separate Render Target.

So, I am wondering if there is a way to automatize this procedure, having in mind, current limitation of Unity+Octane in terms of scripting. Can this be replace with some smart Octane Node construction?

Thank you so much,
jalley

BTW, I am in 2017 now ;-)
jalley
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:20 am

Goldorak Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:20 am
jalley wrote:Hi there,

I came back to this post after - actually - afew years ;-). Sounds like I am "Back to the Future" (last post was 5 years ago). Anyway, the thing is I am using Octane with Unity, and I am wondering if it would be possible to use an Octane setup where I render multiple cameras within a single frame. Is there a way to do that by using different PBR Render Targets? The problem of Octane in Unity now, is that you can not script the camera linked to the PBR Render Target, so I had to replicate PBR Render Targets having one for each camera. However to change cmaera I need to click 'Render' on each separate Render Target.

So, I am wondering if there is a way to automatize this procedure, having in mind, current limitation of Unity+Octane in terms of scripting. Can this be replace with some smart Octane Node construction?

Thank you so much,
jalley

BTW, I am in 2017 now ;-)

When we drop 3.08 into Unity, OSL camera node, all sorts of crazy programmable ray traced camera options open up from a single node.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby bepeg4d » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:39 am

bepeg4d Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:39 am
Hi jalley,
you have reopened a very old discussion.
Please, refer to this forum section for Unity support and questions:
viewforum.php?f=129
All the discussions are from 2017 ;)
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Previous

Return to Resources and Sharing