TUTORIAL/DIAGRAM: How Portals work and how to use them

Forums: TUTORIAL/DIAGRAM: How Portals work and how to use them
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Re: TUTORIAL/DIAGRAM: How Portals work and how to use them

Postby herraasgeir » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:07 pm

herraasgeir Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:07 pm
How exactly do I change a material to a portal material?

Say I click the material with the material picker and I have the settings in front of me. I can choose from diffuse, glossy, material mix and specular. I can also change emission, opacity etc. Where do I choose portal?
Windows XP x32 GTX560ti 2GB Intel Core 2 duo 2GB | MacBook Pro 15inch GeForce 8600M GT
herraasgeir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ycarry » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:40 pm

ycarry Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:40 pm
Right-Clic: Add/Material/Portal
ycarry
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby herraasgeir » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:54 pm

herraasgeir Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:54 pm
When I right click and choose add -> materials I can only choose from: diffuse, glossy, material macro, material mix and specular. I'm using version 1.0 beta 2.46b. Is portal not in this version?
Windows XP x32 GTX560ti 2GB Intel Core 2 duo 2GB | MacBook Pro 15inch GeForce 8600M GT
herraasgeir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby herraasgeir » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:15 pm

herraasgeir Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:15 pm
Right, I answered my own question. It's in the 2.48 TEST.
Good concept, I look forward to using this.
herraasgeir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:36 am

andi Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:36 am
p3taoctane wrote:
How does one increase the portals strength...

So far I never used portals and I did not test 2.48. Nevertheless I'm pretty sure, that it would not be useful to change the "strength" of a portal.
As I understand radiance explanation, portals are only guides for the render-kernel through the geometry of the scene.
So everything should work as in the same scene without any portal. The only difference should be, that you need less samples to get a noise-free picture.
If this is correct, than of course the inside becomes brighter when you increase the daylight power and there is no need for a portal strength. A portal should be pure geometry as I understand it.
Software: | Octane 2.52 | Blender 2.5 | Linux Mint 11 64bit |
Hardware: | CPU Intel Core2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz | RAM 4GB | Videocard GeForce GT 430 |
andi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jaberwocky » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:53 am

Jaberwocky Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:53 am
I've not used them in Octane yet.But from the times I've used them in mental ray you need to think of Portals as Funnels.

Their only function is to Funnel light through them and therefore there is less wasted light around the outside of them.

So if you put portals to cover a window.They tell the render engine where to direct the rays of light that are being produced.

Therefore more of the light rays enter the scene through the portals and fewer rays are wasted around the outside of it.The scene therefore converges faster.

If you need more light you have to increase the power of the emitter producing the light.Not the portals,which as I said before only serve to funnel the light.
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:59 am

andi Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:59 am
In Radiance explanation he speaks only about a sky/daylight environment. Do portals also work with other environments? What if one has no daylight environment, but only a blackbody emitter outside the box/room?
Is there a possibility to use portals for a light source inside the box? I was thinking about creating a cube shaped portal around a blackbody emitter or a rectangular portal in front of a spotlight inside the box. This would be great for small light sources!

regards
andi
Software: | Octane 2.52 | Blender 2.5 | Linux Mint 11 64bit |
Hardware: | CPU Intel Core2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz | RAM 4GB | Videocard GeForce GT 430 |
andi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jaberwocky » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Jaberwocky Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:09 pm
andi wrote:In Radiance explanation he speaks only about a sky/daylight environment. Do portals also work with other environments? What if one has no daylight environment, but only a blackbody emitter outside the box/room?
Is there a possibility to use portals for a light source inside the box? I was thinking about creating a cube shaped portal around a blackbody emitter or a rectangular portal in front of a spotlight inside the box. This would be great for small light sources!

regards
andi

I guess the only way is to experiment.See what happens. ;)
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby roeland » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:43 am

roeland Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:43 am
andi wrote:In Radiance explanation he speaks only about a sky/daylight environment. Do portals also work with other environments? What if one has no daylight environment, but only a blackbody emitter outside the box/room?

regards
andi

Hi,

Portals work with any environment illumination, but not with emitters.

--
Roeland
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby AndreaMannori » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:42 pm

AndreaMannori Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:42 pm
Hi Octaneer, I just did my first test of an interior scene, a very basic scene I know. I followed all the suggestions of the Boss. I'm very happy of this result so I want to share my setup, step by step, just to clear any doubt about occlusions between portals and windows.
So.. you can see the attached images... first of all you have to create the walls and then to select the polys that will be the portals (don't cancel or separate them from the walls). Apply 2 different materials, one for the walls and one for the portals (you have to modify this material, inside Octane, by changing diffuse to portal). Further more you can add the glass geometry by selecting the edge loops all around the portals and then you have to create a spline from the edge with the appropriate command. So you can use this spline to create the glass mesh and the frame sweep. Finally apply a new glass material. You will obtain an interference from windows and portals but this is ok... when importing into Octane you will see all black, so just change the glass material from diffuse to specular and change the index to 1.01, change transmission to white or light blue and add some reflection. That's all. I hope you will enjoy it... and sorry for my bad english.
Cheers!
Attachments
PORTALS_C4D_SCREENSHOT.png
WALLS_WITH_SELECTIONS.png
GLASSES_OCCLUDE_PORTALS.png
Portals_shot1.png
Andrea Mannori

win 8.1 x64; nvidia 770M driver 340.52; octane standalone 2 + c4doctane 2.
AndreaMannori
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Resources and Sharing