Out-of-core vs GPU ram : Benchmark

Forums: Out-of-core vs GPU ram : Benchmark
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Out-of-core vs GPU ram : Benchmark

Postby zark » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:29 am

zark Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:29 am
Hello

Because i couldn't find a clear answer on the forum, i ran some benchmarks to have some numbers.

As most of you know :
1/ VRAM is supposed to be really fast, but isn't upgradable, and can run out quite fast.
2/ Windows10 reserves 20% VRAM PER GPU even if it's not the main GPU. Meaning that a 6GB only has 4.8GB usable.
3/ System ram is easy and cheap to upgrade

Octane has an option, defaulted to false, which tells the rendered to use System Ram (Out Of Core), rather than VRAM.
Upon searching the forum, you have people quoting the documentation ("It has a heavy speed impact"), and then some users mentioning ("it's great, and barely noticeable").
But i cannot go on those comments, i need numbers. I build machines for people who use Octane (or other), and i must have precise answers. So i made a small test bench today.

Here are the results :)

Machine :
i7 8700k
2x 980TI
1x 8gb of DDR4 (PC4-24000) (so yes, running in single channel, so pretty much a worse-case scenario )
Octane Standalone Demo 4.02

Test :
* Downloaded Octane Standalone Demo (https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/demo/)
* Downloaded Benchmark Files (https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/ at the bottom)
Opened Scene file, and didn't change any settings.
I choose the "Interior" scene as it's in my opinion the heaviest scene.

Results:

Data:
Code: Select all
Interior DL
VRAM : 13m42
OOC : 13m51

Interior Info
VRAM : 05m00
OOC: 05m03

Interior PT
VRAM : 30m55
OOC: 30m57