Octane broken file for C4D R20 | Mac

Forums: Octane broken file for C4D R20 | Mac
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Octane broken file for C4D R20 | Mac

Postby kadzin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:53 pm

kadzin Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:53 pm
Hey, here is the deal…
I can’t upload Octane render into my Cinema 4D R20

Here is what I did. I downloaded version 4.00.0 for my MacOs (I also tried 3.08.4 and 3.08) - then open an Archive file and found that the file for R20 version is .xlib - all other files are .dylib. Anyway…

I relocate the folder wit all Octane files (c4doctane) to Plugins folder. Then I have tried to start Cinema 4D and couldn’t find Octane. I also tried to delete all other versions for R15-R19, still nothing… I didn’t find any info in the internet. It’s just weird why the file for R20 is a different type of file then R15-R19.

I just want to star using software asap. Thank you
kadzin

Re: Octane broken file for C4D R20 | Mac

Postby aoktar » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:19 pm

aoktar Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:19 pm
Octane is not broken but you probably missed the requirements. Updated C4D or proper nvidia driver or having a compatible nvidia graphic card. Check readme.txt or install notes from release topics. Also R20's plugin format is different and file extension is "xlib" anymore.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby HysterYale » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:35 pm

HysterYale Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:35 pm
@ kadzin
Dont listen to Aoktar, he is getting paid to give you positive information when Octane IS SEVERLY BROKEN for C4D.

I reccommend using another render engine. Octane will never be good and the support is HORRIBLE!!!

I mean just look at the Octane Manual, this is the most grammatically incorrect document ever written and is barely readable, that alone should show you how much Octane C4D cares about support and its paying customers! ZERO. FRIGGIN ZERO!!!
HysterYale
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:02 am

bepeg4d Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:02 am
@ HysterYale: wow, what a positive feedback!
Yes, most of the team's members are not native english, me first, and most of what we write can be grammatically incorrect, bt we are always trying to give 100% support to every user.
If something is not clear, please write in the c4doctane section of this forum, or write an email to [email protected].
We will try to do our best to write to you withoput grammatic mistakes!
Happy GPU Rendering!

@ kadzin :
about c4doctane in R20, firstly you need to upgrade to R20.057, please go to c4d menu Help/Check for updates.
Latest stable versions for R20 are v4.05-R7, v2018.1.3-R5, and v2019.1.5-R3.
You can find the latest stable version by visiting your personal Downloads area:
https://render.otoy.com/account/download_archive.php
You need to select your purchased version from the Select Software pop up:

Then you need to create the **plugins** folder inside the c4d R20 directory, since Maxon has completely changed the behavior of plugins:
https://developers.maxon.net/?p=3157
It is also possible to place the c4doctane folder in the preferences/plugin directory.

The installation paths for Mac are:

- HD\Applications\Maxon\Cinema 4D R20\plugins\c4doctane (You have to create the plugins folder!)

or:

- HD\Users_Your Name_\Library\Preferences\MAXON\Cinema 4D R20_random code\plugins\c4doctane

Note that you need to remove from the c4doctane folder, all the unnecessary c4doctane-RXX.cdl64 files not related with R20 specific version, and leave only the c4doctane_R20.xdl file in ../c4doctane directory.

Please have a look at the installation video for C4D R20 on how to install in the Preferences/plugins directory:
https://youtu.be/nPjloJ3X7x4

Please, make sure to have disabled the **Synchronize on geo update** option, in Octane Settings / Others,. If enabled can cause instability issues under OsX:

At the end of the installation process, please go to c4d menu Extensions/Console, (Shift+F10), and share a complete screenshot of the panel, thanks.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Resources and Sharing