VIDEO TUT : How to create, edit and save Macro Material node

Forums: VIDEO TUT : How to create, edit and save Macro Material node
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Re: VIDEO TUT--need Audio, but that's not a critique!

Postby themacguy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:23 pm

themacguy Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:23 pm
I totally agree with you : there is not enough tutorials about Octane.
That's why I do my best to help users...I am sorry to hear that you don't understand silence. I could make videos with french commentaries; but if you don't understand italian I think you won't understand french neither...If you have problems with my videos just ignore them; it's more respectful.

Hey! :-) I meant bsolutely no disrespect for you and your tutorial efforts! Anybody who goes the extra mile to even BOTHER to upload material meant to TRY to help others has my respect—I work as a freelance instructor/writer trying to provide "newbie" users on Mac USEFUL tutorials and written "translated from geek" documentation—it's MUCH harder to do than most people think! :-)

Just as a test--try listening to the television, a typical movie or popular comedy .Now close your eyes... LISTEN to it... Easy to visualize-in-your-imagination what is going on... Ok.. now, open your eyes, and SILENCE the audio of the television—You will probably find that is it now MUCH harder—sometimes nearly impossible to figure out what is going on.... That's a simple case, with people doing "stuff we understand"—now try to watch an educational program for a topic you do NOT understand—and perform the same test... :-)

I think you'll see that COMBINED audio AND video work far far better at getting the point across. (with apologies to those of your who speak multiple languages... I can READ a small bit of French—food items mostly as an "ex-chef", but not "geek" in a foreign language...

Anyhow.... once (someday....) I can get the money together to get a working "CUDA" card for my Mac, I will be "turning lemons into lemonade"—by exploring Octane, and recording my successes AND failures as a screen-capture, WITH audio. Sometimes we learn, (or can teach) by showing how NOT to do it, (briefly), and then do a step-wise tutorial on how to get past that particular step that everbody is *NOT* getting... :-)

I guess, in summary—it's hard to do something really well, and too easy to criticize... (I wasn't--just suggesting an informational-content improvement for "version number two"...)

Thanks for listening! And onward with the task of improving educational content for Octane Render!.
"theMacGuy"...
David A. Lewis
2010 MacPro, 6-core Westmere Xeon 64-bit 3.33Ghz CPU,
3GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770 w. 1GB VRAM

themacguy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: VIDEO TUT : How to create, edit and save Macro Material node

Postby ycarry » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:36 am

ycarry Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:36 am
In fact themacguy is right, your tuts need audio.
as french language audio must cause probs for many user
you can use english à la Maurice Chevalier speaking (as often hears)
or simply add music (not Maurice Chevalier song, please :P )
ycarry
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby themacguy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:02 pm

themacguy Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:02 pm
In fact themacguy is right, your tuts need audio.
as french language audio must cause probs for many user
you can use english à la Maurice Chevalier speaking (as often hears)
or simply add music (not Maurice Chevalier song, please)

Uhhmm... Voice-over in English/French/Spanish/etc. (on separate audio channels would be WONDERFUL! :-)
but "filler" music—just for the sake of having music? Please,,, NO! :o

A music track would just be a distraction, and add nothing to the informational/communications "bandwidth" (or "content")
that is the GOAL of the project—Which is: To do a better job of communicating the subject of the tutorial. Music doesn't help that!

Music doesn't help that objective at all! However, when sparingly used—on a "roll-credits" at the END of a video,
or a short "company theme" with the company logo at the FRONT of a video—That's okay! :-)

The rule followed by every good designer is "Form FOLLOWS Function..."
You use only the minimum components needed to achieve the desired functional outcome.
Basically, "Less is More!"

Look at a well designed aircraft, or a strong, but "spare" minimalist designs of elegant Danish/Swedish modern furniture.
Removing EVERYTHING "extra" from the design... nearly always improves the outcome of the design!
—"If in Doubt--Take it Out!".

Modern "gadget" designers (iPod, iPad, BlackBerry, etc.) have ALL forgotten this, and now subscribe (it would seem....)
to "Form follows STYLE"---to the point that many of the admittedly "nice to look at" gadgets are nearly impossible for
"normal people" to use! Note that on a public city bus nearly everybody under 30 is "wired up" with gadgets,
and almost NOBODY over 30 (or 40...) uses them AT ALL.

Older people like "style" too, but demand FUNCTIONALITY as well...
and—for them— with failing eyesight, and arthritic fingers, and possibly somewhat
slower mental processes and memory....the ultra-miniuaturized gadgets are UNUSABLE.
—Just wait, it will be YOUR turn to be left behind in the march of this so-called "progress", in a few years... :-/

Sorry to "rant", but unworkable "design" is something I'm tripping over a LOT these days, and it's both painful and frustrating.
"theMacGuy"...
David A. Lewis
2010 MacPro, 6-core Westmere Xeon 64-bit 3.33Ghz CPU,
3GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770 w. 1GB VRAM

themacguy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby retmia » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:48 pm

retmia Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:48 pm
Aw man!
So with the nodal system, what I understand is that you can't use it if you've prepared you shaders / textures on your sofware before [...] that's rough! ... very Rough!
Expect if you build it back [...] wich would be a waste of time!
Damn I hope the developpers will focus on it soon :/

Anyway, thanks a lot for your tutorials, keep on ! :D
retmia.net
retmia.blogspot.com

i7 3930k - 2x ASUS GTX590 - 16GB DDR 3 - Corsair AX1200
retmia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Resources and Sharing