2nd GPU and hardware requirements for Octane

Forums: 2nd GPU and hardware requirements for Octane
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

2nd GPU and hardware requirements for Octane

Postby riotubes » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:55 pm

riotubes Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:55 pm
Hello,

I've been reading the forum posts in the licensee section regarding GPU specs for Octane.
I'm building a PC for my spouse for archviz use.
I'm planning to include an EVGA 980 ti Hybrid around these system spec's:

Mobo Asus Z170-A
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 220-P2-0650-X1 650W
CPU i7-6700K
Cooler Scythe Ninja 4 cpu cooler
GPU EVGA 980ti Hybrid
RAM G.Skill Trident Z Series 2x8=16GB DDR4 3000
Op Disk SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 256GB PCI-Express 3.0 Internal SSD
File Disk HGST 4TB Deskstar 3.5" SATA III MFR # 0S03355
Case Fractal Design Define R5

I don't think that we will be adding in the future a 2nd card for rendering purposes.
However, given the posts in the licensee forums, I see that a 2nd GPU is recommended for Win UI usage so that the 980 ti can be dedicated to rendering/apps.

I have a few Qs I'm hoping an Octane User can assist with:

1. Is it advisable to use the integrated graphics for Win UI usage, or a 2nd smaller GPU? If the latter what sku is advisable ~$100 or lower and quiet?
2. I suspect my psu is under-rated if I add a 2nd GPU. What wattage spec would I need?
3. I don't know how to interpret the otoy GPU benchmarks. Is the EVGA 980 ti Hybrid a good choice or can I do better at the same price or lower, keeping in mind that I don't plan to add addition 980ti cards in the future.

Thank you for any feedback you are able to provide!
riotubes

Re: 2nd GPU and hardware requirements for Octane

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:22 am

bepeg4d Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:22 am
Hi,
1) yes, having a dedicated GPU for display only is always the best way to get the most from your system. I have used the integrated GPU for a while, but it's not the best for large projects and animations, then I have added a Quadro k620 to my dual 780 and it's completely another story. If you have not to deal with large projects, the integrated GPU could be a good solution, otherwise a cheap GTX or Quadro is the right choice ;)
2) Roughly, you can consider 250W for a normal system plus 250W for each GPU. With 750W you should be safe, 850W even better ;)
3) the octane benchmark gives you the average score of a particular GPU in normal conditions, with the hybrid versions, in general, due to the cold temperatures, it's possible to safely overclock it, so you can easily reach the maximum value.
I hope it is more clear now,
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby riotubes » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:14 pm

riotubes Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:14 pm
Beppe,
Thank you for your helpful feedback. Just what I was seeking!

May I bother you for some additional advice on the separate topic of disk drive / partition strategy given your knowledge of these types of workstations?

I plan to use 3 disks in this basic system:

- Drive 1: New 256GB SSD m.2 pci-e SSD for Win10 and apps (autocad, sketchup, Adobe CC, rendering apps). use is exclusively interior architecture/design.

- Drive 2: Old 2010 Vertex SSD which is 90-120gb (can't recall) for scratch disk for apps; cache; windows pagefile;

- Drive 3: New HGST 7200rpm 4TB 3.5" HDD for files, pics, video; and possible system image for recovery ( necessary on Win10?)

I plan to install Windows 10

1) Is it advisable to create a partition on Disk #1 for the operating systm and a second partition for the Apps in order to do a recover of the opp system without apps or would the apps also be necesary since many of them use the registery? Or should I just image the entire disk (sys and apps). If I should partition, is 60 GB adequate for Win10?

2) Similar question for disk #2. Should I create 2 or more partitions for Win pagefile vs. scratch disk vs cache, or not partition disk #2 and just keep all activities on a single drive? If I should partition, does it matter which order for pagefile vs scratch/cache etc, and what size pagefile?

Thank you you for any advice in advance!
riotubes

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:42 am

bepeg4d Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:42 am
Sorry, I'm not an expert in windows, basically I'm a Mac user :)
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Resources and Sharing