few tips for complex scenes management and mesh nodes

Forums: few tips for complex scenes management and mesh nodes
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

few tips for complex scenes management and mesh nodes

Postby kubo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:48 am

kubo Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:48 am
Well, I'm sure most of you know, use, or even have better approaches on how to manage complex scenes, here is mine just in case it helps some of you.
Well, I usually do a basic setup on my modelling app and once done I export 2 main obj files and some extra ones depending on need. The first two would be the main mesh model, and the alpha model mesh. The alpha model mesh is the same than the main, except I change the material assigment to all black diffuse for all opaque materials, black diffuse with .5 opacity for glass materials, and black diffuse with opacity maps for clip textures as leaves and such.
With those two I open octane and then import the main mesh, I do a basic light and camera setup and use a low pixel resolution to work around and start to tune up the materials, here when the scene is pretty complex and too hard to move around (or harder than what octane has us used to) I do an extra obj export for certain objects which require more fine tuning on the materials. I import it in the same scene this extra obj mesh node, and link the material node to just this object, the scene mood (camera, light, etc) is already done, so I can more easily navigate and work on it with less polys laying around.
I repeat the above steps as needed, and when everything is to my liking I add another mesh node, the alpha one, sometimes it needs some tuning, but usually it ready to go. Then I start saving a octane scene for each camera I want, in really really heavy scenes I use a "dummy" mesh node just to speed up this process. Then I close Octane and create a command batch file to render to the desire max samples and res, one for each node and camera, the "real" one and the alpha one, then I go to sleep and wake up to find all the neat images and a fresh coffee, ain't life beautiful? ;)
Like I said, pretty easy workflow, but if you have any improvements or just plain different ones, I'll love to hear it, and hopefully we can all learn a little bit more.
Cheers
Kubo
PS: I know this would be neater with graphs and pictures, but I'm on a tight schedule lately so I would apreciate if someone has the time to add those up.
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

Re: few tips for complex scenes management and mesh nodes

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:38 am

bepeg4d Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:38 am
kubo thanks for the very interesting idea, I have to try it then maybe I'll make some specific asking ;)

ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: few tips for complex scenes management and mesh nodes

Postby TheOracle » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:15 am

TheOracle Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:15 am
Maybe an screencast video about this approach someone? Explaining it (and maybe even uploading to vimeo or so)? Can someone create that like the other tuts on the site or vimeo?
That would be INCREDIBLE.
nice approach by the way.

All large scenes ideas would we welcome indeed.
Win 10 64 bit + Linux Ubuntu | Nvidia RTX 2080TI | AMD Ryzen Thredripper CPU 2970WX 24-Cores/48-Threads | Houdini - Cinema 4D - Maya - 3Dsmax
TheOracle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Resources and Sharing