OBJ Export Settings for Octane

Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Re: OBJ Export Settings for Octane

Postby radiance » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Phr0stByte wrote:I will definitely try it. I am seeing some strange streaking on large surfaces that have no thickness (such as a backdrop). I will also try adding thickness. I have a bit of a strange work-flow, so if anyone is working similarly, I would love some input.

MoI = Modeling
Maya = Materials and textures
Octane = Render


streaking, if it's circular means your scale is wrong and your object is probably kilometers large.
adjust your scale in the obj prefs prior to import.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
User avatar
radiance
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 7633
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: OBJ Export Settings for Octane

Postby Phr0stByte » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:58 pm

radiance wrote:
Phr0stByte wrote:I will definitely try it. I am seeing some strange streaking on large surfaces that have no thickness (such as a backdrop). I will also try adding thickness. I have a bit of a strange work-flow, so if anyone is working similarly, I would love some input.

MoI = Modeling
Maya = Materials and textures
Octane = Render


streaking, if it's circular means your scale is wrong and your object is probably kilometers large.
adjust your scale in the obj prefs prior to import.

Radiance


Very confusing - In Maya my scaling is usually in feet.
Import prefs in Octane are set to meters > meters
Would that not be correct?
Ubuntu Linux 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) x64 | Geforce GTX285 (Zotac) | x2 Xeon Quads 2.66GHz | 8GB RAM
Image
User avatar
Phr0stByte
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: OBJ Export Settings for Octane

Postby radiance » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:01 pm

i really don't know just withthe work 'streaks'. maybe make a propper bug report post in the general forum with screenshots so we can see what's wrong ?

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
User avatar
radiance
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 7633
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: OBJ Export Settings for Octane

Postby Phr0stByte » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:27 pm

radiance wrote:i really don't know just withthe work 'streaks'. maybe make a propper bug report post in the general forum with screenshots so we can see what's wrong ?

Radiance

I take it by your reply that my import settings are correct? I have a few more tests to run before getting frustrated. I was just asking if there might be someone with the same work-flow that could easily have an answer.
Ubuntu Linux 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) x64 | Geforce GTX285 (Zotac) | x2 Xeon Quads 2.66GHz | 8GB RAM
Image
User avatar
Phr0stByte
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: OBJ Export Settings for Octane

Postby radiance » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Phr0stByte wrote:
radiance wrote:i really don't know just withthe work 'streaks'. maybe make a propper bug report post in the general forum with screenshots so we can see what's wrong ?

Radiance

I take it by your reply that my import settings are correct? I have a few more tests to run before getting frustrated. I was just asking if there might be someone with the same work-flow that could easily have an answer.


Sorry, but we really need a screenshot. there could be many different causes.
Please post one so we can see what's going on...

Thnx,
Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
User avatar
radiance
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 7633
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: OBJ Export Settings for Octane

Postby Phr0stByte » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Already got things sorted out - thanks
Ubuntu Linux 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) x64 | Geforce GTX285 (Zotac) | x2 Xeon Quads 2.66GHz | 8GB RAM
Image
User avatar
Phr0stByte
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: OBJ Export Settings for Octane

Postby radiance » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:25 pm

great ;)

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
User avatar
radiance
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 7633
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: OBJ Export Settings for Octane

Postby Haftarun8 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Has anyone come up with suitable settings for exporting out of Maya? I would imagine it not being very hard, but I'm curious as to how the Octane conversion script would handle animations using deformers...I have a scene using the Soft Modification tool for animation purposes. Would this be possible to translate into Octane with the retail version?
Haftarun8
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: OBJ Export Settings for Octane

Postby kubo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:46 pm

if it can be exported to obj, Octane will render it, so when in doubt do a manual export using the settings in this thread and open it in octane (or octane's demo) or back in your modeling soft, and see if it looks as it should.
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
User avatar
kubo
 
Posts: 1377
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 am
Location: Madrizzzz

Re: OBJ Export Settings for Octane

Postby ikoi23 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:50 am

Hi, im Rhino user and i would like to export an .obj that have separated scene objects by layer, to apply them materials by layer. For the moment in my .obj evry object is diferent and is crazy to apply a material one by one.
I used sets that apear in this post but its dosent work for what i want.
ikoi23
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 8:05 am
PreviousNext

Return to Resources and Sharing


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:15 pm [ UTC ]