Camera Clipping: simple HOWTO

Forums: Camera Clipping: simple HOWTO
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Camera Clipping: simple HOWTO

Postby FooZe » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:10 am

FooZe Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:10 am
This is another simple howto for another new feature - camera clipping (from beta 3.03 onward).

This allows for more flexible positioning of the camera and therefore more creativity and scope for interesting camera shots.

The main purpose was for interior scenes where you want to get a good shot of the whole room but you cannot do so without a very large FOV, because you need to keep the camera inside the room.
Now with camera clipping (near plane), you can position the camera outside the room - lower the FOV and increase the clipping plane distance in front of you until the closest walls are clipped out.

Example:
cameraClipping.jpg

Notice that the camera position is outside the room geometry (which is clipped away) but you can still see the geometry in the mirror.
The geometry is not altered, only the clipping of the camera.

The below is about as good as it gets without camera clipping if you want to see the same content (left to right).
This is obviously terrible...
(you end up getting things in frame you really don't want such as gaps to sky etc)
noCameraClipping.jpg

The camera clipping setting is in the camera parameters and is called nearClipDepth and is in octane meters from the current camera position.
FooZe
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Camera Clipping: simple HOWTO

Postby emihich » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:53 pm

emihich Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:53 pm
looked for the feature and didn't find camera clipping.
It is because I am using version 1.0/2.58e Beta (official ?) .
Which one nowadays is the recommended version ?
Shall I move to other version, if any which supports c.clipping ?Is there a link ?
can someone advise me ?
I need camera clipping as I am rendering a Glass House !
emihich
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FooZe » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:22 pm

FooZe Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:22 pm
Hi Emihich,

This is in 3.03 test.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24074

Just create a new folder for 3.03 and use the zip file. This way you can always run the older version if you need to.
There have been many changes since 2.58e including the way materials will look (better color representation and changes to the BRDF model), so you may want to still use 2.58e for old projects.

Cheers
Chris.
FooZe
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mykola1985 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:39 am

mykola1985 Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:39 am
just a question.
Can I use this feature in 3ds max octane plugin?
does it exclude all the geometry outside the camera from calculations before the rendering screen appears (the processing geomety CPU calc. I mean)?
i7 3770K, 12GB RAM, ASUS STRIX GTX 780 - 6GB OC Edition + ASUS GTX 780 Ti - 3GB, win 7 ultimate 64bit
mykola1985
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:43 am

abstrax Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:43 am
mykola1985 wrote:just a question.
Can I use this feature in 3ds max octane plugin?
does it exclude all the geometry outside the camera from calculations before the rendering screen appears (the processing geomety CPU calc. I mean)?

No, the camera clipping is just doing what it is named for: It hides geometry from the camera, but indirect effects (like their shadow) are still there. This features is to avoid extreme wide angle renderings of interiors, since it allows you to place the camera outside of the room and to look "through" the wall.

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby jhony » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 am

jhony Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 am
There have been many changes since 2.58e including the way materials will look (better color representation and changes to the BRDF model), so you may want to still use 2.58e for old projects.
"Dobara"
jhony

Return to Resources and Sharing