Light through glass mysteries

Forums: Light through glass mysteries
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Light through glass mysteries

Postby skywxp3d » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:56 pm

skywxp3d Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:56 pm
Hey Octane users, Ive been searching the forums for some clarity - what does Octane actually support for caustics and light through glass? The more i read in the forums, the more confused i seem to get! It seems in the past this wasnt supported but now it is, so im reading old tricks on how to fake it, and trying lots of settings but not having much luck, does glass just behave as it should (for instance simply using the clear glass materal in the material database)?

Im wondering because Ive tried to make a glass lantern and it just makes massive fireflies and takes forever...
skywxp3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Light through glass mysteries

Postby skywxp3d » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:27 pm

skywxp3d Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:27 pm
OK I'm starting to understand this now...

1) Direct Sun does not cause Dispersion or Caustics or even transparent shadows on a glass object - you basically cant use sunlight if you have a specular material.

2) Don't bother setting Dispersion on anything other than 0 if using Sun light

still getting there...
Sky Kensok
skywxp3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kavorka » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:24 pm

kavorka Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:24 pm
The Octane team is working on a possible work around, one of the team members posted a screen recently of it working, so we might see it soon.

In some cases, you can use a glossy material with opacity set around .2. It will allow light through and give you something that looks like glass. As far as caustics, can't do it until there is a fix.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ssokol » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:45 am

ssokol Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:45 am
I`m waiting for this, I need this for architectural vis....
ssokol
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Resources and Sharing