Softimage to Octane exporter

Forums: Softimage to Octane exporter
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Re: Softimage to Octane exporter

Postby face » Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

face Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm
Thanks again :mrgreen:

Here is the video:
http://vimeo.com/11380551

Now i will cleanup the code and compile for x86 and x64...
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mlody47 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:39 pm

mlody47 Sat May 01, 2010 5:39 pm
WOOOOHOOOO :D instaling right now
i7 2600K + 2X gtx 580 + GTX 560 Ti + 8gbram + Win7 +
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Sat May 01, 2010 5:42 pm

face Sat May 01, 2010 5:42 pm
mlody47 wrote:WOOOOHOOOO :D instaling right now

Wait, in the downloadable version, the animation is not yet supported ;)
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face » Sat May 01, 2010 6:03 pm

face Sat May 01, 2010 6:03 pm
The next video shows the animated FOV and cameras aperture.
Rendering now...
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby redmotion » Sat May 01, 2010 6:21 pm

redmotion Sat May 01, 2010 6:21 pm
Hi face. Nice job. Will take a look at this now.

Funnily enough I just spent last night and this morning making a Softimage to Octane exporter myself.

Should check the forums more often!
win 7 64 | q6600 | 4gb ram | gtx 260 [196] | driver nvidia 197.13 | SketchUp7 | Softimage 2010
win 7 64 | i5-2500k | 16gb | gtx 570 | driver 275.33 | SketchUp8 Pro
redmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby [gk] » Sat May 01, 2010 8:42 pm

[gk] Sat May 01, 2010 8:42 pm
you should contact radiance and get info on how to layout a predefined User interface. If you do so and the script can do -exactly - what they want it to do ( not what you think would be nice ) there is a good chance it will be a part of the software package at one level or another.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1455
Amiga 1000 with 2mb memory card
[gk]
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Sun May 02, 2010 5:19 am

face Sun May 02, 2010 5:19 am
[gk] wrote:you should contact radiance and get info on how to layout a predefined User interface. If you do so and the script can do -exactly - what they want it to do ( not what you think would be nice ) there is a good chance it will be a part of the software package at one level or another.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1455
Yes, i know.
But how, with that few settings, can you specify which camera are exported?
Which objects are exported? Selected, all with hidden or all without hidden?
Or how can you enter the lens aperture / focal depth value? Have Max this settings in his camera?
I think a checkbox for that is nice but it will help nothing when the camera haven´t that value.
This would mean, Softimage users are debarred to use that feature...

Or which light is the sunlight?
What is, when you will render every 2nd frame?

The other think is to render a animation. I use a different way.
I start Octane from Softimage to render the frame. Then i check the running processes.
Is octane.exe missing, Octane are finish and i step a frame forward, export and lanch Octane again to render the frame.
In Softimage i have a progressbar. These show me which frame are rendered and how many are left to render.
Also i can cancel the render.
How can i cancel the render in Max or must i wait till all frames are rendered?

I think, it´s not a way to create a scene only for Octane.
When you work on a project, with many objects, many lights and a couple of cameras, it should be possible to select the things you want to render in Octane.
And it should be not the way, to create all these new, so that Octane can render it.

I will give all users, which are use my plugin, the full control to do what possible is and not to do what they may.
It is not my philosophy to create things with limits. For me it is nice to do what i think.
It would be nice, when this plugin is a part of the software, but it´s not a must have for me.
I make this, because i like it. As hobby, nothing other.

Cheers
Face
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby [gk] » Sun May 02, 2010 11:39 am

[gk] Sun May 02, 2010 11:39 am
You can do all those things in 3dsmax via scripting, im pritty sure you can in your host as well.
You need to read the plugin guide line which explains the workflow.
Build your tool around the flow.

You dont need to have a a clean "octane" scene to do this, you can write your code so it takes care of everything automaticly.

The reason why all plugins should have consistency from start off is that its way easier to support.
Letssay you write your tool and its completly different than any o the others, it will be more difficult do act on support.
If all plugins has same buttons same places, doing the same thing, it doesnt matter which host app are beeing used.
Also, documentation is ALOT easier to come by.

+ it will feel more proffesional that the UI and functions are the same cross host apps :)

You cna write your tool in any way you want, but eventually the uniform one will have to be made, so why not do it from start off? :)
Amiga 1000 with 2mb memory card
[gk]
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Sun May 02, 2010 12:32 pm

face Sun May 02, 2010 12:32 pm
[gk] wrote:You can do all those things in 3dsmax via scripting, im pritty sure you can in your host as well.

You dont need to have a a clean "octane" scene to do this, you can write your code so it takes care of everything automaticly.

The reason why all plugins should have consistency from start off is that its way easier to support.
Letssay you write your tool and its completly different than any o the others, it will be more difficult do act on support.
If all plugins has same buttons same places, doing the same thing, it doesnt matter which host app are beeing used.

+ it will feel more proffesional that the UI and functions are the same cross host apps :)

You cna write your tool in any way you want, but eventually the uniform one will have to be made, so why not do it from start off? :)

I know that i can do that with scripting, but it´s not clear for me, how i can set the objects, which i will export, with a single click on a checkbox.
I don´t know how the export in Max works.
When you enable a checkbox and then click on export, then you have the chance to pick the objects, lights, camera which you will export?
The same with some values, eg focaldepth. After i click on export, i can type in the value?
I find it easier to select things i want to export, before i export. And in Softimage, i have the chance to do that only one time.
After i have selected the objects, i can change anything in the scene and can then simple hit the render button. I must spend no more time again with selecting.

The only thing which is easier, is that i must spend no time to write a documentation.
But, a good plugin in Softimage, has it´s own helpfile, which will displayed, when i click the "?"
When are changes in Octane i must change my sourcecode. Whether the UI is identical or not.
I think, why should i don´t use the features i have? I can eg keying every value i make in the UI, rightclick on them and let me show the interpolation curves.
What is, when users want to animate the samples? For that i must change only one parameter. Should i don´t use it, because the guidlines that don´t allow?

Face
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby radiance » Sun May 02, 2010 12:50 pm

radiance Sun May 02, 2010 12:50 pm
face wrote:
[gk] wrote:You can do all those things in 3dsmax via scripting, im pritty sure you can in your host as well.

I know that i can do that with scripting, but it´s not clear for me, how i can set the objects, which i will export, with a single click on a checkbox.
I don´t know how the export in Max works.
When you enable a checkbox and then click on export, then you have the chance to pick the objects, lights, camera which you will export?
The same with some values, eg focaldepth. After i click on export, i can type in the value?
I find it easier to select things i want to export, before i export. And in Softimage, i have the chance to do that only one time.
After i have selected the objects, i can change anything in the scene and can then simple hit the render button. I must spend no more time again with selecting.

The only thing which is easier, is that i must spend no time to write a documentation.
But, a good plugin in Softimage, has it´s own helpfile, which will displayed, when i click the "?"
When are changes in Octane i must change my sourcecode. Whether the UI is identical or not.
I think, why should i don´t use the features i have? I can eg keying every value i make in the UI, rightclick on them and let me show the interpolation curves.
What is, when users want to animate the samples? For that i must change only one parameter. Should i don´t use it, because the guidlines that don´t allow?

Face

Hi Face,

I've been resposible for coordinating exporter development for 3 projects now, first indigo, then luxrender and now octane render.
One of the biggest problems is that when everyone develops exporters independently, they become desynchronized.

This basically creates a situation where you will become responsible for providing documentation, support and help for your exporter.
Also, in communities, people come and go all the time, often leaving behind an exporter that then becomes abandoned and can't be used anymore.

Also, there will be times when you are not around, and we will have to keep saying to everyone 'please wait until face is back, we can't help you' :)

That's why i'm trying to have one specification that's %100 identical accross platforms, and can be documented only once in our manual.
I understand that one spec does'nt always translate %100 to a particular 3d host app, and some people want to add specific things to it.

If this is needed we can add those to the base spec so they stay consistent accross apps.
Trust me that this is the best way to go, i've seen many people start exporter work and either never finish, abandon or simply stop because they don't have the time anymore to support people asking how to use it.

I suggest that you, for every additional or changed functionality, find a way to eliminate it by using your host app functionality,
and if it's not possible, eg you really want to add it, you document it and we add it to the global spec.

I'll have a think about the things you mention and reply here soon.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

PreviousNext

Return to Resources and Sharing