The Apocalypse Competition (Image & Animation) [CLOSED]

Forums: The Apocalypse Competition (Image & Animation) [CLOSED]
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

The Apocalypse Competition (Image & Animation) [CLOSED]

Postby radiance » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:51 am

radiance Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:51 am
Repent!, you sinners, by entering our 2012 Apocalypse-themed Competition, for the end is nigh! :shock:

Dear OctaneRender® sinners,

The competition is now officially closed, the winners will be announced in our News & Announcements forum in 3 days.

We would like to thank everyone that has participated in the competition, the results are breathtaking just like our previous competitions.

Here's you're chance to repent of your sins and get teraflops of salvation in the form of GPU card prizes for your hungry PCI-Express slots... :twisted:

nuke1.jpg
nuke1.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 25584 times

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The competition will end on 1 February 2012 at 08:00 (8pm), GMT+12 hours (New Zealand Time)

After the immense success of the previous 'new year' competition we decided to renew that great CG experience, again.
This time around, we're having a 4 month competition, where artwork can be submitted in both still image and/or animation form.
This competition is co-sponsored by our new partner company OTOY Inc., which is developing OctaneRender cloud delivery technology, and EverMotion providing the popular Archinteriors Model CDs.

There is no there, but, we will welcome any '2012 Myths - Apocalypse - End of the world' themed artwork, which can be applied in a very broad way, and will get extra credit with the judges.
Don't fret if you want to submit an architectural interior or car model instead, chances to win are purely based on your artistic skills and the quality, originality and creativity of your still and/or animation submissions.

You can earn bonus influence by submitting materials to our LiveDB, which are used in your submitted stills or animations.
The more LiveDB Material or Textures you add to your submissions and the LiveDB, the more chance you have (up to %50 extra influence with judging) to win the prizes. You add them by attaching one or more material-ball preview renders to your submission posts.

Eg, When submitting a still or animation, you can optionally submit images/thumbnails of livedb materials rendered with the standard built-in material ball preview scene of OctaneRender, which you have used in your still or animation submission, and also uploaded to our LiveDB to share with others.

Prizes:

1st place : One NVIDIA Geforce GTX590 3GB GPU & 2 lifetime licenses for any RS LTD product & First pick of one Archinteriors CD*.
    2nd place : One NVIDIA Geforce GTX580 3GB GPU & 1 lifetime license for any RS LTD product & Second pick of one Archinteriors CD*.
    3rd place : One NVIDIA Geforce GTX560Ti 2GB GPU & 1 license for any RS LTD product & Third pick of one Archinteriors CD*.
    4th place : One NVIDIA Geforce GTX560Ti 1GB GPU & 1 license for any RS LTD product & Remaining Archinteriors CD*.
    5th place : One NVIDIA Geforce GTX550Ti 1GB GPU & 1 license for any RS LTD product.

6th Best artistic concept : One NVIDIA Geforce GTX550Ti 1GB GPU
    7th Best technical concept/achievement : One NVIDIA Geforce GTX550Ti 1GB GPU

* = Winner may pick from the following EverMotion Archinterior CDs:

Please read the requirements below carefully, as some of the regulations have been changed since our last competition !

By participating to this challenge each competitor agrees that his/her submitted images may be used for promotional purposes on the OctaneRender® web site gallery as well as the OctaneRender® facebook group photo gallery, e.g. displayed as featured images.
The competition is being managed by radiance and enricocerica.

Who can participate:

Everybody.

Rules:

. You may produce and publish as many submissions as you want.
    . You may submit still images and/or animations, and multiple ones of each.
    . The submitted still images must be made exclusively with Octane Render.
    . For animations, all 3d rendering must be done with OctaneRender, and only 2D compositing, cutting, video encoding and post-production effects (blur, gamma, contrast, lens effects, motion blur, composited logos and text) can be done using other software packages, as long as they are not competing 3D render engines.
    . Animations have to be rendered fully with OctaneRender, eg they can't be animations where rendered footage is composited in other footage.
    . You can use the current Demo version which is publically available on our site or the commercial beta version for those of you who purchased one.
    . Submitted images must have a minimum resolution of 1200 px wide and 512 px high, but we will prefer images at higher resolutions. (demo users can submit in 1000x600 as the demo is limited in resolution output, by taking and cropping screenshots)
    . Any additional LiveDB materials/textures you add to your submission must be uploaded to the LiveDB before the competition ends, and be posted in a minimum of 400x400 resolution, and use the inbuilt material ball preview scene.
    . Final images must be supplied in .PNG format, not .JPG format or anything else.
    . Animations must be submitted as embedded links to 'Youtube and Vimeo' only video websites, and must be in 720p resolution or higher.
    . The animation must also be available in .FLV or .MP4 format in 720p or higher resolution at request from the author by Refractive Software. (For publishing in our website animation gallery)
    . You cannot submit images or animations submitted in a previous Octane competition.
    . You must clearly mention if you've used commercial models or if you've included images during the rendering, in case of doubt we may ask for evidence and we may disqualify any participant who cannot bring that evidence.

Postproduction is allowed only:

. To fix lighting issues and fireflies.
    . To add glare and bloom.
    . To add chromatic aberration.
    . To modify image/animation brightness, contrast and gamma.
    . For noise reduction if needed.
    . To add motion-blur when used in animations.
    . To add 2D logos or text.

You cannot add any other image part in post-production

Note: that if you use excessive noise-reduction and your submission ends up looking blotchy as a result,
this will be taken into account during examination by the jury, and you're image may not be chosen as the winning image.

Practically:

. Your images should be uploaded in this thread.
    . You can change them until the thread is closed.
    . Your image must be at least 1200 pixels in width.
    . Your animation must be at least 720p resolution, and linked to on Youtube or Vimeo only.
    . Include in your submission post:
      . Your Name, technical details (polygons, rendertime, etc...) and a short description/inspiration/motivation or idea about your submission.
      . Add your full credits on the image as small text on the bottom.
      . Include a screenshot of you working on the image in Octane Render. (this proves it was rendered in Octane Render)
    . Don't post your WIP here, use the WIP forum instead.
    . Create one single entry and update it with the new images.
[/list]

A jury composed by 5 persons will vote and select the winners.

Timing:

The challenge will last for 5 months.
UPDATED: The competition starts now, 31st August 2011 and will close on the 31 January 2012 at 12:00 (12pm, noon) GMT+12 hours (New Zealand Time)

If we don't get enough participants we may decide to cancel the competition and to postpone it to a later date, in such a case, the submitted images may be reused in a future challenge.

Good luck to everyone!, here's your chance for salvation,
The Refractive Software Team.
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Re: The Apocalypse Competition (Image & Animation) !!! OPEN !!!

Postby radiant » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:22 am

radiant Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:22 am
God, we were warned about this................................. :lol:

Going to give it everything I got :)
Win8 Pro 64bit ULT|Intel Core i7 3930K|3.20 GHz|32 GB RAM|GTX 590|UD5 2011 socket||2x TB HD||Master Cooler HAF X||Blender 2.6||Maya 2012||Octane|
radiant
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pixelrush » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:50 am

pixelrush Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:50 am
yeah....ok... :roll: ...I have an idea for an animation :idea: ....might even enter this time :o
i7-3820 @4.3Ghz | 24gb | Win7pro-64
GTS 250 display + 2 x GTX 780 cuda| driver 331.65
Octane v1.55
pixelrush
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby platon11109 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:42 am

platon11109 Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:42 am
Interesting topic)) I'm in!
My English is bad! Google translator to help me!

Intel Core i7-960 3.2GHz | GTX460 2G| GTX 580 3G | 24gb ram | Win10 64 |
platon11109
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:19 am

radiance Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:19 am
Just made a small addition, i've added some information about the ability to earn more influence by adding materials/textures used in your submissions to the livedb.
This looks like a good way to get more materials in our livedb for everyone to use.

Radiance
radiance

Postby face » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:28 am

face Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:28 am
I hope, i can find some time for the contest
face
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby dave62 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:08 am

dave62 Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:08 am
quote:" ...This competition is co-sponsored by our new partner company OTOY Inc., which is developing OctaneRender cloud delivery technology."

..cloud delivery technology - :shock:
pls tell us more:)

cheers,
dave
- Mint 10 64bit nvidia drv 260.19.29/cudatoolkit3.0 intel q6600, 4gbRAM, GTX470 1,2GB
- Mint 10 64bit/ Win7 64bit nvidia drv 260.19.29/cudatoolkit3.2 amd X6, 16gbRAM, 2x GTX580 3GB
->Octane 2.44/ Blender2.5x
dave62
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jaberwocky » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:11 am

Jaberwocky Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:11 am
I'm in....

Now where did i put that model of the four Horsemen of the apocalypse. :lol:
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:39 am

radiance Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:39 am
dave62 wrote:quote:" ...This competition is co-sponsored by our new partner company OTOY Inc., which is developing OctaneRender cloud delivery technology."

..cloud delivery technology - :shock:
pls tell us more:)

cheers,
dave

Please read the 2nd post in the news forum about it...

Radiance
radiance

Postby kubo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:53 pm

kubo Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:53 pm
It's that time of the year again, that time when the bags under my eyes grow, and steam comes from the back of my PC's, that time when my cat can not find a spot between my monitors and empty coffe mugs.... heck yeah! let the apocalyse ride my GPU's and good times to all!
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

Next

Return to Competitions