New Year's open themed still image competition (CLOSED)

Forums: New Year's open themed still image competition (CLOSED)
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: New Year's open themed still image competition (OPEN)

Postby ROUBAL » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:47 pm

ROUBAL Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:47 pm
Sorry Roubal, since I've relocated in Belgium I see Stampes everywhere

Seen from distance, it is difficult to see the difference, except if the DH-82 has kept its anti-spin boards, or the hyper sustenters on the upper wings (present on my model, but often removed because heavy too).

The Stampe is more responsive and more comfortable than the De Havilland. The DH-82 is a bit weird, because constructed as a training airplane, some controls are only available on the front cockpit (instructor), and missing when piloted by only one man, as the main pilot is almost always in the rear seat in biplanes, for weight repartition reason ! :)
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlody47 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:59 pm

mlody47 Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:59 pm
ok so I am again bit confussed.... ...about those backgrounds.

so You are telling that it should be like this?

1. Render with Octane ( with alpha channel enabled )
2. Open photoshop & load my render
3. Paint my background ( or put there any image )
4. Save it as image
5. Put a plane mesh in the background in my 3d scene
6. Texture it with my background
7. Export to Octane and render without alpha channel

This is pure madness. It dont make sense, to make 5,6,7 point of this list
i7 2600K + 2X gtx 580 + GTX 560 Ti + 8gbram + Win7 +
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:10 pm

matej Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:10 pm
Yes, not allowing compositing an image for background makes no sense indeed, if we are allowed to import that image and render it on a plane in Octane. It's just pure complication of things without benefits.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:11 pm

ROUBAL Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:11 pm
It is simpler than that :

1-UVmap your background png image on a plane in your 3D package. (I do that for all my skies when I don't use Environment images).

2-Put this plane where needed in your 3D application behind your 3D models, according to the point of view of your camera. For a sky it can be half transparent to mix your sky with Octane Physical sky.

3-Render everything in one pass.

No other treatment than those allowed like defly or light adjustments.

I don't see why so many people find the rules or the method complicated ! :roll:

As the competition is all about Octane possibilities, it is the only way to warranty that the rendered image will not depends on post treatment.
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby marco diulgheroff » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:16 pm

marco diulgheroff Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:16 pm
@ ROUBAL
@ yoyoz
Thanks to both of you for your interesting explanations about airplanes, especially those of ROUBAL about the DH-82! :o
I can just learn here and about so many arguments!! Thanks again :)
Best regards

@ ROUBAL
You just won't tell me the "how to" about the propeller movement effect, isn't it?! :roll: :cry:
I know.. the secret of the magician! :) :(
marco diulgheroff
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlody47 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:25 pm

mlody47 Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:25 pm
Something is not right ...

When Octane didnt had alpha channel, You could submit image with 2d background.

When Octane has alpha channel, then You are not allowed to do that.

You are kidding me right??

:lol:
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:26 pm

ROUBAL Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:26 pm
@mlody47 : I'm not kidding. Some people may have passed through the grid in the past, but it has never been allowed by the rules. A 2D background is allowed as far as it is incorporated in the scene within the 3D package before exportation in obj. If done afterward in Photoshop or else, it is cheating !

@marco diulgheroff :

I explaned everything in the first post with my images and I also shared a trick to keep memory of your materials in the ocs when deleting them temporary from a scene ! So, you see that the magician gives all his tricks ! I'm not here to fight against other artists, but to make images and fill my eyes with images of the others ! ;)

The motion blur is really simple : In Blender I defined a rotation speed to the propeller and I used the Vector blur node to render a png image with alpha layer. I UV mapped this image on a simple disk placed at the location of the actual modelled propeller that I removed. So, everything rendered in one pass according to the rules, and no postprod ! ;)

I tried several methods for the propeller. I find this effect too flat, but I had not enough time to create an image dependent of the camera location :I would have had to export the camera location with less freedom in Octane to take shots under other angles.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby marco diulgheroff » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:37 pm

marco diulgheroff Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:37 pm
ROUBAL wrote:I don't see why so many people find the rules or the method complicated ! :roll:
I agree

ROUBAL wrote:I explaned everything in the first post with my images and I also shared a trick to keep memory of your materials in the ocs when deleting them temporary from a scene ! So, you see that the magician gives all his tricks ! I'm not here to fight against other artists, but to make images and fill my eyes with images of the others ! ;)

The motion blur is really simple : In Blender I defined a rotation speed to the propeller and I used the Vector blur node to render a png image with alpha layer. I UV mapped this image on a simple disk placed at the location of the actual modelled propeller that I removed. So, everything rendered in one pass according to the rules, and no postprod ! ;)

I tried several methods for the propeller. I find this effect too flat, but I had not enough time to create an image dependent of the camera location :I would have had to export the camera location with less freedom in Octane to take shots under other angles.
Sorry, I have not been paying enough attention! I'm gonna read it again, more carefully.. thanks again :)
marco diulgheroff
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlody47 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:40 pm

mlody47 Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:40 pm
marco diulgheroff wrote:
ROUBAL wrote:I don't see why so many people find the rules or the method complicated ! :roll:
I agree

They are not complicated, the are just dumb. ( no offense - just my point of view )

edit... ....you can add bloom which is already changing dramaticly the scene... why not putting background then ( even if its small dot or ton of blur ) ???

Its like making Your work harder... ...like matej said... without benefits... ...why to do this, if its even not made in 3D ???

Its stuffing GPU memory with absulutely no reason ( for me ).

I feel we are moving backwards??
Last edited by mlody47 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby okichkoatl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:51 pm

okichkoatl Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:51 pm
mlody47 wrote: Reply with quote Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:59 pm
ok so I am again bit confussed.... ...about those backgrounds.

so You are telling that it should be like this?

1. Render with Octane ( with alpha channel enabled )
2. Open photoshop & load my render
3. Paint my background ( or put there any image )
4. Save it as image
5. Put a plane mesh in the background in my 3d scene
6. Texture it with my background
7. Export to Octane and render without alpha channel

This is pure madness. It dont make sense, to make 5,6,7 point of this list

HI, you can just make a 360o Degrees image and load it in octane as i did on all of my renders, like the 2 ketzalkoatls, is just the model of the ketzas, the images behind is a 360o images so i can turn arround any direction and render the best frame i want.

Here is the image
Attachments
PANORAMICA2.jpg
okichkoatl
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions