New Year's open themed still image competition (CLOSED)

Forums: New Year's open themed still image competition (CLOSED)
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: New Year's open themed still image competition (OPEN)

Postby matej » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:34 pm

matej Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:34 pm
My well scene is almost ready, was so for at least two weeks. I put it on hold because I was aware that Refractive will make it fair for Linux users, and we will also be able to use 2.4 for the competition - even if that meant extending it. I need 2.4 for alpha mapping my vegetation, which in is taxing my RAM if exported in pure geometry. The shadows in 2.3 make the vegetation dark - but If my render will look better, worse or unchanged, it's totally irrelevant. I's about giving all the participants the same tools. People who are following the testing thread were all aware of the possibility of extension.

Once again, direct your frustration toward RS, not Linux users.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jaberwocky » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:37 pm

Jaberwocky Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:37 pm
This could run and run...........

gota go... i have work to do.

catch with this later chaps. ! :)
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:41 pm

matej Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:41 pm
mlody47 wrote:background image - NOT 4 backgrounds.... ....so dont change the rules when its already after competition...

What he is asking is to composite 4 raw Octane renders into one image. There are no backgrounds involved, not 1 not 4, as far as I understood. And why does it matter if your background is made of one or four parts? There are just two options here; we are allowed to composite a background image or we are not. If it's the later, then 1/3 of the renders will be disqualified (and people are not aware of that).
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andi » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:44 pm

andi Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:44 pm
Very true matej.
It's the same for all participants, no matter what OS one uses. Some just luckily saw that the competition will be extended a bit earlier, but without knowing for how long. There is clearly no advantage for the linux-user, only a disadvantage that refractive tried to minimise.
Please don't forget that we are using beta-software. And please don't forget that the competition is not the olympic games. It should be mainly fun for us!
And i had fun with it so far. I had fun to model and render my scene and I had also fun watching the pictures you have made so far. And you mlody47 made some really great work!
Don't expect it to be 100% fair competition, that's not possible with beta-software. I can understand that you are a bit mad when you worked very hard to finish your project in time and than you read you could have taken one more week. But as matej said it's not the fault of us poor linux users (that can't afford to buy a much better os like windows :)

I wished as well to see more post from Trinity lately, but i also think we should not blame refractive. I'm sure the developers are working hard to support all three os versions of octane. And maybe they don't have the resources for moderation at the moment. I'm happy that they made this competition and hope there will be some in the future cause as i said before, i'm having a lot of fun with it and i learned a lot about my modelling software and octane.

mlody47 wrote:
I think all entries till now should be like treated like "different" - becouse they where finished on time!
Meanwhile Im waiting for some stunningly ALPHA SHADOWED renders from all the linux users and You Matej!

I could post my result now, but as i have more time i prefer to do some tweaking, the same that everybody can do now.
Software: | Octane 2.52 | Blender 2.5 | Linux Mint 11 64bit |
Hardware: | CPU Intel Core2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz | RAM 4GB | Videocard GeForce GT 430 |
andi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dave62 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:59 pm

dave62 Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:59 pm
quote matej:"Re: New Year's open themed still image competition (OPEN)
My well scene is almost ready, was so for at least two weeks. I put it on hold because I was aware that Refractive will make it fair for Linux users, and we will also be able to use 2.4 for the competition - even if that meant extending it. I need 2.4 for alpha mapping my vegetation, which in is taxing my RAM if exported in pure geometry. The shadows in 2.3 make the vegetation dark - but If my render will look better, worse or unchanged, it's totally irrelevant. I's about giving all the participants the same tools. People who are following the testing thread were all aware of the possibility of extension.

Once again, direct your frustration toward RS, not Linux users."

+1
@mlody,rman
just count how often i asked in the win thread when there will be a linux release..
i even thought about purchaing win7 because of its release, but after i read about post pone i was calmed.
but ok they are just a small team doing awesome work, so everything will take some time and might be not so well organized.
i prefer a good renderengine in focus.. just ask yourself how often you looked into the forum while you where busy with your competition..

really dont understand you mlody, are your skills only trained if you win? nothing to do with lazyness, alot of problems i got referred to 2.3v5 (messed up materials after saving are not a lil prob-> once again it mean to me that i need to tweak everything in one row after reload everything was messed.. after asking for a workaround i was told that this is a 2.3 specific bug...

"...lazyness?.." i think its a lil awkward your fighting for your pov of fairness. i think the judges have already realized that you are already done and will give you a big bonus..
if you really like to train your skills use a linux demo, buy a new gfx card, change your modelling suite and try to win:)
cheers
- Mint 10 64bit nvidia drv 260.19.29/cudatoolkit3.0 intel q6600, 4gbRAM, GTX470 1,2GB
- Mint 10 64bit/ Win7 64bit nvidia drv 260.19.29/cudatoolkit3.2 amd X6, 16gbRAM, 2x GTX580 3GB
->Octane 2.44/ Blender2.5x
dave62
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:04 pm

matej Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:04 pm
The blame to Refractive goes for not stating their intention of extending the competition more clearly, in this thread, so that all people would notice it - not for not doing the Linux build in time. I know that they work hard :)

andi wrote:it's not the fault of us poor linux users (that can't afford to buy a much better os like windows :)

;)
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby yoyoz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:15 pm

yoyoz Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:15 pm
andi wrote:it's not the fault of us poor linux users (that can't afford to buy a much better os like windows :)

Not even talking about us poor blender users that can't afford purchasing a real 3D modeler :-)
Desktop: Ubuntu 13.04 x64 - i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz - 32GB DDR3 - GTX670 2048MB
Laptop: Linux Mint 11 x64 - i7-2860QM @ 2.5GHz - 16GB DDR3 - Quadro 3000M 2GB
Software: NVidia 319.12 - Cuda 4.2.9 - Blender 2.66a
yoyoz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlody47 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:24 pm

mlody47 Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:24 pm
dave62 wrote:
really dont understand you mlody, are your skills only trained if you win?

I never won any Competition, and none Octane competition either ( my highest place was second )... I know I could took the first without postpone... ...and I know that this was the reason , becouse first place work was submitted after the postpone. Thats why all the postponing will make me mad... ...its just

...simply...

...unfair...

and Yes my skills are only trained when I AM AIMING for the win. And you are aimiing for what?? last place?? I dont think You evolve aiming for something not above You and making sphere on grid. Everyone here who was rendering competition images , was aiming for the win, so they were pushing not only the software, but themselves too. I dont know if Your familiar with ESTIMATIONS...

estimating / cost of your work is a skill too.

Im stopping this conversation now
i7 2600K + 2X gtx 580 + GTX 560 Ti + 8gbram + Win7 +
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlody47 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:26 pm

mlody47 Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:26 pm
matej wrote:Refractive. I know that they work hard :)

I know they are not sitting and digging in their noses, but we ( windows users ) worked hard too.
i7 2600K + 2X gtx 580 + GTX 560 Ti + 8gbram + Win7 +
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cornel » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:29 pm

cornel Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:29 pm
GLmig wrote:... I would like to ask the octane render team to warn us about changes to the dates of the contest with a little more time before the final date... i went to bed at 5 am because of this and dont find it funy when i found out that it wasnt necessary.

I totally second that, today I´m tired as hell.
I absolutely love the renderer you guys wrote, but your communication to the userbase is expandable.

trinity wrote:The competition is being managed by trinity.

obviously it´s not.

See you later somehow,
-c.
Win 7 x64 | GTX770 Phantom 2GB | Phenom II X6 3.2GHz | 16GB
cornel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions