Metaverse competition questions

Forums: Metaverse competition questions
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Metaverse competition questions

Postby lordsme » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:38 am

lordsme Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:38 am
Thanks Rikk for the solution, I just started to do the same!

But my concern is about stereo channels (left & right eyes), I hope they are already placed right within the face pairs, it would be very bad to get a final image with right and left eye swapped! :P
I don't have a GearVR here so I can't test them.. uff this is quite annoying :/
Davide Di Giannantonio
Freelance 3D Artist
www.davidedigiannantonio.com
lordsme

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:54 am

Rikk The Gaijin Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:54 am
I made a template, please check this post here:
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=48688&p=243465#p243465
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lordsme » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:33 am

lordsme Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:33 am
Hey Rikk,
thank you this is very useful!
I really appreciate your kindness!
Davide Di Giannantonio
Freelance 3D Artist
www.davidedigiannantonio.com
lordsme

Postby dotcommer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:13 pm

dotcommer Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:13 pm
So i've just tried rendering out cubemaps for the competition, and I'm not happy with how the post effects are being rendered. So I'm thinking i'll go back to latlong side-by-side. However, I noticed on the guidelines that while I can submit this format, it doesn't seem like it would be GearVR friendly. Aren't all these submissions being judged with a GearVR headset? So would this effectively hurt my chances because the judges wouldn't be able to view my render on a GearVR? Some clarification on this would be great so I can figure out if I can submit latlong stereo, or if I need to get creative here with cutting up cube maps and doing post POST processing in photoshop.

Thanks!
Download my free Octane resources!
Paper Lantern | Fresh Snow (C4D Only) | Keyboard Displacement Texture | Solar Panel Texture

Mac Pro (2012) | 2x6Core 3.06GHz | 64GB | 1 x Titan Black 6GB
Portfolio: http://www.deltawavefx.com
dotcommer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:30 am

bepeg4d Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:30 am
hi,
unfortunately, because of his nature, is not possible to use the post effects in the cube map format, unless you work with render passes and do some post work in ps to correct the PE at the cube borders.
Another solution is to render in equirectangular mode and then, convert it to cube map with the correct order for both eyes. PanoVR, for example can convert equirectangular to cube and vice versa
In any case, you need to do some extra work with both ways :roll:
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby dotcommer » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:48 pm

dotcommer Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:48 pm
Yeah, I've realize that, but my big question is: Will my chances be hurt because I use a stereo latlong instead of cubemap for my submission? Octane offers the option to upload this, but I don't see how it would be beneficial to me because from my understanding, the judges will be looking at all the submissions in a GearVR headset. Would someone who's moderating this forum or the competition please weigh in on this?
Download my free Octane resources!
Paper Lantern | Fresh Snow (C4D Only) | Keyboard Displacement Texture | Solar Panel Texture

Mac Pro (2012) | 2x6Core 3.06GHz | 64GB | 1 x Titan Black 6GB
Portfolio: http://www.deltawavefx.com
dotcommer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:32 pm

Goldorak Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:32 pm
dotcommer wrote:Yeah, I've realize that, but my big question is: Will my chances be hurt because I use a stereo latlong instead of cubemap for my submission? Octane offers the option to upload this, but I don't see how it would be beneficial to me because from my understanding, the judges will be looking at all the submissions in a GearVR headset. Would someone who's moderating this forum or the competition please weigh in on this?

My advice is to render stereo cube maps, as it looks and renders better on the Gear VR. Post processing with glare and such in PS is has been done, but is an artist driven process that needs to be done with care. Take a look at BLR's latest entry in the forums for an overview of how they approached this issue.

To make this work purely in Octane, you may want to try rendering 6144x3072 per eye as ER pano, with post, then bring each pano back into Octane as env maps and export as cube maps. In theory this should work, but I haven't fully tested this myself.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:50 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:50 am
I have a terrible doubt: I submitted my entry and then I shared renders of it on Facebook and Artstation, is that ok or do I need to take them down until the competition is over? :?
I saw other people share their submission so I did it without thinking, but I never thought it might be a problem, is that ok?
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Goldorak Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:04 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:I have a terrible doubt: I submitted my entry and then I shared renders of it on Facebook and Artstation, is that ok or do I need to take them down until the competition is over? :?
I saw other people share their submission so I did it without thinking, but I never thought it might be a problem, is that ok?

It is important that the content is exclusive to Oculus in order for it to be considered for prize money. I think it's fine to share images of the scene, but I would take down the stereo cube maps or 360 panos if those are posted to be safe. Let us know if that is possible and we will make sure it is all good :)

Amazing work BTW!!
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:54 am

Rikk The Gaijin Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:54 am
Goldorak wrote:
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:I have a terrible doubt: I submitted my entry and then I shared renders of it on Facebook and Artstation, is that ok or do I need to take them down until the competition is over? :?

It is important that the content is exclusive to Oculus in order for it to be considered for prize money. I think it's fine to share images of the scene, but I would take down the stereo cube maps or 360 panos if those are posted to be safe. Let us know if that is possible and we will make sure it is all good :)

Amazing work BTW!!

I only shared the renders, not the stereo panorama, that one is only on this website. 8-)
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions