Metaverse competition questions

Forums: Metaverse competition questions
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Metaverse competition questions

Postby NikhilR » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:34 pm

NikhilR Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:34 pm
Hello,
If I were to submit for the second round and win, can I still submit a new submission in the third round?
NikhilR
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Chriz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:22 pm

Chriz Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:22 pm
Hi NikhilR,

I guess it is ok to take part in all rounds.

As i understood, it´s general just not allowed to submit the same project for a second round, but as many projects as you want. :D

If i am wrong, somebody may correct me please!

Best, Chriz
http://www.C9W.de - Win10 - Dual E5 2620v3 - Display 1 GTX 1080 / Render 1 3090 RTX - 96 RAM - C4D MSA - C4D Plugin version: current - Standalone: current
Chriz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Davidguk2015 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Davidguk2015 Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:04 pm
Hi,

This is going to seem really idiotic, but - i was set to submit my entry last night for the June Metaverse competition, and on reading the forums before i did so i realised that although i've produced a scene and rendered to cube map, i haven't even looked at the Stereoscopic settings or used them..

Is it an actual requirement of the competition that the submissions are in stereo? It is probably the most obvious question in the world but tbh it wasn't made clear and i completely overlooked it..

In the meantime I've held off on my entry and will submit for the July competition. I did have a problem uploading to the OctaneRenderCloud, i uploaded my scene which 'failed' although i have no idea why, are there any common reasons why that would happen?

Thanks!
Davidguk2015

Postby NikhilR » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:41 pm

NikhilR Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:41 pm
Hello, thanks for your reply
Not sure if the repeat submission applies to the same project or output image.
For example, I may want to use elements from my existing scene with a different camera which creates a completely different output image.
That should be okay (correct me if I'm wrong)
NikhilR
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rstr.tv » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:10 pm

rstr.tv Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:10 pm
Hi,
I have used ORC and it rendered stereo cubemap as 6 .png files with both eyes on each. It seems that I need to stich them somehow as contest submition form can only get 1 file.
Is that correct and if so, where I can find information on what to do after I get renders from ORC?

Thanks!
rstr.tv

Postby lordsme » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:13 am

lordsme Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:13 am
I did the same (with an ORBX file coming from my Maya scene) but I received an already stitched PNG!

But there's a problem: I want an EXR, to use tonemapping and 32bit post! But ORC does not allow me to render an EXR, it says the PNG must be chosen.
Anyway, is the cube faces order in the rendered file already good for submission? (I don't have a GearVR)
I suppose it is, but I saw other people having troubles...

Moreover the height of renders in ORC is locked to a maximum of 2048 pixels, I wanted to pre-render a latiture/longitude (equirectangular) HDR to use it as environment for my final scene, but I can't do it with the proper resolution (6144* 3072 pixels).
And my Maya Octane VR license does not allow me to render images with height higher than ~1600 pixels, Maya crashes... please help!
Davide Di Giannantonio
Freelance 3D Artist
www.davidedigiannantonio.com
lordsme

Postby lordsme » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:36 am

lordsme Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:36 am
lordsme wrote:Anyway, is the cube faces order in the rendered file already good for submission? (I don't have a GearVR)
I suppose it is, but I saw other people having troubles...

Just uploaded a WIP, the stereo cubemap files coming from Octane Render Cloud + Maya ORBX scene are in wrong order! Octane team, please fix this bug or advise for a solution!
viewtopic.php?f=99&t=48930
Davide Di Giannantonio
Freelance 3D Artist
lordsme

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:07 am

Rikk The Gaijin Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:07 am
lordsme wrote:
lordsme wrote:Anyway, is the cube faces order in the rendered file already good for submission? (I don't have a GearVR)
Just uploaded a WIP, the stereo cubemap files coming from Octane Render Cloud + Maya ORBX scene are in wrong order! Octane team, please fix this bug or advise for a solution!
viewtopic.php?f=99&t=48930

They are aware. It will be fixed soon, but meanwhile the only solution is to re-arrange them manually in Photoshop.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lordsme » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:13 am

lordsme Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:13 am
Great! 16 faces to re-order manually in a ~18K file...
What should be the right order? And I still have to figure what's the current ordering!
Do you have any suggestion? :)

Octane team, please we need a fix or at least an official Photoshop script/action to get out of this! :)
Davide Di Giannantonio
Freelance 3D Artist
lordsme

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:30 am

Rikk The Gaijin Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:30 am
lordsme wrote:Great! 16 faces to re-order manually in a 16K file...
What should be the right order? And I still have to figure what's the current ordering!
Do you have any suggestion? :)

Octane team, please we need a fix or at least an official Photoshop script/action to get out of this! :)

I recommend to do the following:

1) setup a simple scene that has an HDR background
2) render the stereo cubemap once with Octane Standalone to have the correct order
3) save the .orbx file and upload it to ORC
4) render the same scene in ORC so you will end up having both the wrong cubemap and the right cubemap
5) open them in Photoshop and put numbers over each view, so it will be easy to understand where each face goes when you re-arrange them.

I know it's a pain to do this, but until the ORC stitching is fixed, that's the only way I came up with.
If anyone has a better solution, please write it here.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions