Sculptron 1.1 with Alembic support!

Forums: Sculptron 1.1 with Alembic support!
Discussion forum for Sculptron

Sculptron 1.1 with Alembic support!

Postby linograndiotoy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:41 pm

linograndiotoy Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:41 pm

Dear all,

We are excited to bring you Sculptron 1.1 with Alembic support! It's still quite experimental and in progress, please report any issue you may find!

You can find an overview of Sculptron 1.0 features here.

What's new in Sculptron 1.1:

- Alembic Support
    - Improved, accurate Viewport item selection
    - Procedural and Texture Images can be used directly as Alpha now
    - Windows Opacity Option

Alembic Support.
So many Sculptron users have been asking for Alembic support, now it's finally available!
You can find the new Import Alembic option in the File Menu:
Alembic_Options.PNG

Import Alembic

Use this option to import an Alembic file. Only meshes with fixed topology are supported right now (deforming characters and animated, undeformed meshes are working great, fluid simulations are not supported).
Curve primitives are not supported yet.

Update Imported Alembic

Any change to the Alembic cache can be exported using this option. A new Alembic file will be generated, while the original one will be preserved. The "Copy_out" string will be added to the original file name.
Sculptron will only update the animated cache information in the file, preserving the original geometry.

Export Alembic

This option can be used to export an animation created in Sculptron directly. At least a Sculpt Layer must be added to the mesh for animation to be exported.

Procedural and Texture Images can be used directly as Alpha now.
There's no longer need to use an Image Map item to sculpt a mesh using an Alpha. Noise generator and loaded texture images can be dragged directly into the Texture slot of the Sculpt Layer Effect. Also, it's now possible to assign different alphas to each brush tool.
Alphas.PNG

Improved Viewport item selection.
Viewport item selection, previously based on the object bounding box, has been improved and is now very precise. Also, selected object(s) are now showing an outline.
Selection.PNG

Windows Opacity Option.
A new option allows to set the general UI opacity.
Opacity.PNG

Known issues:
We've found out it's currently impossible to reload Sculptron projects containing Alembic data (Sculptron will crash).

Please report any issue or any bug you may find! [/list]

Download Sculptron 1.1:

Sculptron Downloads

Attention! Hotfix!!!
The new selection method was affecting volumes in a negative way, that's now fixed. Please download the latest 1.1 version via the link above.
Last edited by linograndiotoy on Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Sculptron 1.1 with Alembic support!

Postby thefrisbeeman » Mon May 17, 2021 6:20 pm

thefrisbeeman Mon May 17, 2021 6:20 pm
hi

I'm trying to use an Alambic and still not able to see the animation

I tried importing the obj and after importing the alambic...there are any deform effects or something that I need to apply in between?

do you know why is not working?

thanks
thefrisbeeman

Postby linograndiotoy » Thu May 20, 2021 10:03 am

linograndiotoy Thu May 20, 2021 10:03 am
An Alembic file contains both geometry and cache/animation info. No need to load a mesh.
You just have to import the alembic file and everything should be there in the scene, ready to be edited.
Then you can export alembic and a new file will be created.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby thatguy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:25 am

thatguy Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:25 am
how do I run sculptron?
thatguy

Postby thatguy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:17 pm

thatguy Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:17 pm
I have it installed, then looked around the site to find a way to purchase a lic, or get a demo version, but it's not even a product in the shop. I suppose it's tied to octane somehow?
thatguy

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:54 am

bepeg4d Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:54 am
Hi,
if you have not an Otoy license, to subscribe to Sculpton for 9,99€/month, you need to go to the Shop/Extras page:
https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/extras/

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby thatguy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:26 pm

thatguy Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:26 pm
thanks!
thatguy

Postby Apalep11 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:07 am

Apalep11 Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:07 am
Hi,
This is my first time using Sculptron and I can't seem to get the Alembic animation working in sculptron as promised.
I'm very familiar with the Alembic File format. Are there particular Alembic settings Sculptron likes?
Does Sculptron support animated Alembic files? Or will it just import as still geometry?
Apalep11

Postby linograndiotoy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:19 pm

linograndiotoy Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:19 pm
Apalep11 wrote:Hi,
This is my first time using Sculptron and I can't seem to get the Alembic animation working in sculptron as promised.
I'm very familiar with the Alembic File format. Are there particular Alembic settings Sculptron likes?
Does Sculptron support animated Alembic files? Or will it just import as still geometry?

Hi,
Sculptron supports animated alembic files(deformation only, not object sequences like fluid simulations).
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:52 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:52 am
Can someone help me? I'm trying to edit an alembic animation with Sculptron, but I'm not getting the results I was hoping for.

I've attached a video to show the problem. What I want to do is to smooth out the area that gets corrupted around frame 40, so I smooth it out, but when I go back to frame 0, now that area is corrupted, so I smooth out that too, and then go back to the previously fixed area and its corrupted again....

What am I doing wrong?
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] Sculptron1.1 2021.10.27 - 11.47.59.02.mp4 [ 25.02 MiB | Viewed 25320 times ]

Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Sculptron