Octane Solaris plugin 2020.2.4.0 - 08-04-21 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: Octane Solaris plugin 2020.2.4.0 - 08-04-21 [OBSOLETE]
Sub forum for plugin releases

Octane Solaris plugin 2020.2.4.0 - 08-04-21 [OBSOLETE]

Postby BK » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:43 am

BK Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:43 am
Dear Octane community,

OTOY® is proud to announce the availability of the new DCC plugin OctaneRender for Solaris V2020.2.4 - for Houdini 18.5.596.

The world's fastest unbiased GPU rendering engine on CUDA and Metal now integrate completely with Houdini 18.5 Solaris.

What is OctaneRender for Solaris?
The OctaneRender for Solaris plugin is based on Pixar’s USD (Universal Scene Description) and Pixar’s Hydra API to empower artist workflows across look development, scene layout, lighting, and final rendering.

Pixar's USD pipeline
https://renderman.pixar.com/stories/pixars-usd-pipeline

-Installation steps-

Insert the OctaneRender® plugin folder path to the houdini.env file. Houdini®creates this file after launch it for the first time.
On Linux and macOS® systems, append a single line to enable OctaneRender®:

HOUDINI_PATH = "/path/to/octane;&"

On Windows® systems, you need to set the PATH to point to the plugin bin folder as well:

PATH = "C:/path/to/octane/bin;$PATH"

Setting this environment variable outputs any error related to loading the OctaneRender® plugin on the command line for diagnosing installation problems:
HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2

- Changes since 2020.2.3.0 - 05-27-21_v3 [Test]-

• Implemented Octane Cameras, Imager and PostProcessing node inside Camera node
  • Implemented Octane AOV node under digital Asset(WIP Denoised beauty)
  • Implemented Octane Kernels inside the Render Settings node. We can now pin multiple Render settings nodes from Lookdev to the final render settings.
    The Render settings node will override if there is a custom render target in the scene.

-Known Issues-
- Light ID UI (WIP)
- Octane Color response is disabled because Hydra buffer expects linear output
- Light Linker is yet to be supported as we are investigating if we could assign the Octane light IDs internally.

Octane X builds will be added shortly

===================================
Enterprise Subscription Downloads
2020.2.4.0 Houdini 18.5.596

Studio Subscription Downloads

Demo build Download

Happy GPU Rendering !!

Your team
OTOY
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Octane Solaris plugin 2020.2.4.0 - 08-04-21 [Test]

Postby rohandalvi » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:23 pm

rohandalvi Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:23 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the update. The plugin is looking really good feature wise but I am facing a lot of issues.

In the render settings, only the direct lighting kernel is working. Changing it to anything else has no effect.

Secondly, the DOF seems to disappear everytime I change any parameter, then going back and changing the Fstop value will bring it back.

Third, changing imager values restarts the render.

That’s what I’ve found so far.
rohandalvi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rohandalvi » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:25 pm

rohandalvi Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:25 pm
Just a question, I haven’t tried it as yet, but does instancing work?
rohandalvi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:33 am

BK Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:33 am
rohandalvi wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the update. The plugin is looking really good feature wise but I am facing a lot of issues.

In the render settings, only the direct lighting kernel is working. Changing it to anything else has no effect.

Secondly, the DOF seems to disappear everytime I change any parameter, then going back and changing the Fstop value will bring it back.

Third, changing imager values restarts the render.

That’s what I’ve found so far.

Hi Rohan,

Thanks heaps for your feedback. we truly appreciate it.

Would you please share a sample scene or a quick video for us to replicate?

Please try enabling the [Show Octane Window] toggle checkbox then run the IPR and check if the parameter changes synced in the Octane window.
The [Auto focus] is enabled by default in the camera tab. Please try disabling it and see if the DOF still resets.
Could you please let us know which imager values were changed to reproduce the restart?

LOP Instancing is supported. Please let us know if it does not work on your test and maybe a sample file would be useful for us to debug!

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby rohandalvi » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:20 am

rohandalvi Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:20 am
Hi,

I’ll send you a file today, but right now almost any parameter change causes the DOF to reset not just the imager. Also the dome light intensity resets to 1 with any change. Even a camera move.

In the render settings, changing the kernel has no effect. Only the parameters of the direct lighting kernel have any affect on the render.

Also could you limit the range of the post processor settings, right now the values just shoot up into the 1000s.

And instancing is working, I checked that.

Regards
Rohan
rohandalvi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:18 am

BK Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:18 am
rohandalvi wrote:Hi,

I’ll send you a file today, but right now almost any parameter change causes the DOF to reset not just the imager. Also the dome light intensity resets to 1 with any change. Even a camera move.

In the render settings, changing the kernel has no effect. Only the parameters of the direct lighting kernel have any affect on the render.

Also could you limit the range of the post processor settings, right now the values just shoot up into the 1000s.

And instancing is working, I checked that.

Regards
Rohan

Hi Rohan,

Thank you so much for your feedback! It is very helpful.
We are now able to replicate the DOF issue and has been reported to our developer.

Could you please share the steps to replicate the Dome light bug?
Is there a render settings node as it maybe overriding the dome light.

Is it okay to include a sample scene showing the kernel settings issue?
We tried on a simple sphere with Octane specular and they seem to work on our side.
Could you please change it into Info kernel and see if it changes?

Yep, we will change the Post processor settings in the next release.

Glad to hear instancing is working!!

Regards
bk
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby rohandalvi » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:07 pm

rohandalvi Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:07 pm
I recorded a video and uploaded to youtube. It's unlisted. So you can click on the link to watch. It covers everything that doesn't work.

https://youtu.be/-io1W-Se6HE

the dome light bug. Didn't really do anything. Just added a dome light and an HDR and then if I lower the intensity and start to rotate the viewport the domelight resets to 1 in the viewport.

https://youtu.be/u3GJThc0hFU

Also would it be possible to have a gamma control for the HDR. Some HDRs are too bright, controlling the Gamma helps a lot.
rohandalvi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:42 am

BK Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:42 am
rohandalvi wrote:I recorded a video and uploaded to youtube. It's unlisted. So you can click on the link to watch. It covers everything that doesn't work.

https://youtu.be/-io1W-Se6HE

the dome light bug. Didn't really do anything. Just added a dome light and an HDR and then if I lower the intensity and start to rotate the viewport the domelight resets to 1 in the viewport.

https://youtu.be/u3GJThc0hFU

Also would it be possible to have a gamma control for the HDR. Some HDRs are too bright, controlling the Gamma helps a lot.

Hi Rohan,

Thank you so much again for the videos.

We can confirm the Domelight and the Camera DOF issue have been fixed on our internal test build.
However, we are still unable to replicate the Kernel change issue yet.

We can see you have another renderer installed in the video, not sure if the UI is conflicting with it.
Would you please try enabling only the OctaneSolaris plugin and see if the issue still happens?

We will send a request to our developer if we can add the HDR's Gamma control in the Domelight.
A workaround would be using the Octane HDRI Environment from the RenderSetting.

Cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Releases