Material output not listed in Scene Graph Details

Forums: Material output not listed in Scene Graph Details
Hydra Solaris

Material output not listed in Scene Graph Details

Postby Creative_Sheep » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:47 pm

Creative_Sheep Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:47 pm
I'm experiencing an issue whereas when in the Scene Graph Details and I want to look at the vopnet output for the Octane material but it's not being shown ?

Creative_Sheep
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Material output not listed in Scene Graph Details

Postby BK » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:02 am

BK Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:02 am
Creative_Sheep wrote:I'm experiencing an issue whereas when in the Scene Graph Details and I want to look at the vopnet output for the Octane material but it's not being shown ?

Hi Creative_Sheep,

Thank you for the post.
Would you please share a sample scene for us to investigate?
Also, please try using the Octane material>out material and see if it works!

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Creative_Sheep » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:22 am

Creative_Sheep Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:22 am
BK wrote:
Creative_Sheep wrote:I'm experiencing an issue whereas when in the Scene Graph Details and I want to look at the vopnet output for the Octane material but it's not being shown ?

Hi Creative_Sheep,

Thank you for the post.

cheers

I'm using the Octane Material node. Also I've attached a sample scene file to investigate.
Attachments
materialPreviewb.zip
(229.11 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Creative_Sheep
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:27 am

BK Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:27 am
Creative_Sheep wrote:
BK wrote:

Hi Creative_Sheep,

Thank you for the post.

cheers

I'm using the Octane Material node. Also I've attached a sample scene file to investigate.

Thank you for the file..
Oh sorry, I mean outside the vop node.
Would you please help explain what we are supposed to see?

Here is a screenshot if we use the Octane Material outside of vop node:
OctaneMat.png

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Creative_Sheep » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:13 pm

Creative_Sheep Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:13 pm
What you should see is the primitive by the name of primitive2 node which is creating a primitive type: sphere light lighten the cylinder but that is not the case. The created primitive is instead casting a shadow on the cylinder ?
Also the cylinder is not having the displacement applied ?
Creative_Sheep
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:14 am

BK Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:14 am
Creative_Sheep wrote:What you should see is the primitive by the name of primitive2 node which is creating a primitive type: sphere light lighten the cylinder but that is not the case. The created primitive is instead casting a shadow on the cylinder ?

Hi Creative_Sheep,
Thanks so much for your response.
Would you please let us know if the name of primitive2 node appears with other renderers?
We are assuming this question may belong to the SideFx team.
The shadow comes from the Octane default daylight, we need to attach a rendersettings node and then disable it.
And, Octane texture displacement requires the geometry to be UVied/Unwrapped before we use it.

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Creative_Sheep » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:02 am

Creative_Sheep Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:02 am
BK wrote:
Creative_Sheep wrote:What you should see is the primitive by the name of primitive2 node which is creating a primitive type: sphere light lighten the cylinder but that is not the case. The created primitive is instead casting a shadow on the cylinder ?

Hi Creative_Sheep,
Would you please let us know if the name of primitive2 node appears with other renderers?
The shadow comes from the Octane default daylight, we need to attach a rendersettings node and then disable it.
And, Octane texture displacement requires the geometry to be UVied/Unwrapped before we use it.

cheers

In Karma for example, the primitive2 lights the cylinder. I've communicated with the SideFX team and they have informed me it's an issue with Octane in which the SphereLight as the primitive type is not lighting the cylinder.
Although even if one disables the shadow caused by the Octane daylight, although I'm not using the Octane Daylight; the primitive2 is still not lighting the cylinder.
Creative_Sheep
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:02 pm

BK Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:02 pm
Creative_Sheep wrote:
BK wrote:

Hi Creative_Sheep,

cheers

In Karma for example, the primitive2 lights the cylinder. I've communicated with the SideFX team and they have informed me it's an issue with Octane in which the SphereLight as the primitive type is not lighting the cylinder.
Although even if one disables the shadow caused by the Octane daylight, although I'm not using the Octane Daylight; the primitive2 is still not lighting the cylinder.

Hi Creative_Sheep,

Thanks for the update. The USD spherelight is emitting light but quite low power.
Please attach a Rendersettings node in the tree then disable the environment to None to disable the default Octane Daylight!
We have reported this to our developer to investigate maybe need an option to turn off the shadow of the sphere light.

As a workaround is creating own sphere light or use the Solaris default light and disabling the Shadow of the emitter Mesh.
Make sure to connect Render geometry settings node for custom mesh light.

EnvNone.gif

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Creative_Sheep » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:55 pm

Creative_Sheep Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:55 pm
I was able to test in Karma and the scene which I posted in this thread, not only were the Primitive LOP with the Type set to SphereLight working but including any additional Solaris lights added to the scene as well plus displacement maps.
That isn't the situation with Octane. When adding a Primitive LOP with the type set to SphereLight, then adding a Solaris light, the Primitive LOP: SphereLights automatically become disabled instead of illuminating the scene as well as the Solaris lights. I believe this may be a bug considering it works in Karma.
Creative_Sheep
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:15 am

BK Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:15 am
Creative_Sheep wrote:I was able to test in Karma and the scene which I posted in this thread, not only were the Primitive LOP with the Type set to SphereLight working but including any additional Solaris lights added to the scene as well plus displacement maps.
That isn't the situation with Octane. When adding a Primitive LOP with the type set to SphereLight, then adding a Solaris light, the Primitive LOP: SphereLights automatically become disabled instead of illuminating the scene as well as the Solaris lights. I believe this may be a bug considering it works in Karma.

Hi Creative_sheep,
Thanks for the update.
We are working on adding an Octane object layer node for USD Prim node that would allow disabling the Shadow visibility.
Yes, the workflow between Octane and Karma is different as we are a completely GPU-based renderer.
With Octane Texture displacement you will need to UV the mesh or please use the Vertex displacement.

Again, if there is no light in the LOP node trees, OctaneSolaris will create/add Octane daylight automatically by default (the daylight is very bright that killing the low light emission from Solaris light and USD sphere light). So, we need to add a RenderSettings node at the bottom of the node tress and disable the environment light.

Here is the renders after disabling Octane Environment:
CreativeSheep.png

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Hydra Solaris