Slow load times (component meshes)

Forums: Slow load times (component meshes)
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Slow load times (component meshes)

Postby mxmiceli » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:45 pm

mxmiceli Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:45 pm
Hello,

I tried to test the octane for unreal plugin with a relatively heavy archviz interior project that I had worked on previously in Sketchup/Lumion. My hope was to take the sketchup model, export to datasmith, import that into unreal, and render in octane for unreal.

The issue I'm seeing is with octane loading lots of meshes. When the textures and static meshes load everything is fine. Then the mesh components start loading. At first they go pretty quick but by the 10% mark it's clear that something is wrong. It's gradually slowing down to the point that it will likely take well over an hour to load the component meshes. I've let it run to about 20% but it seems to just keep getting slower and slower.

I've loaded this same project as an fbx into octane standalone and it works just fine so I don't think it has to do with my computer or the scene, but rather with some communication problems between unreal and octane?

Let me know if any other info would be helpful or if there's a solution to this I may have missed.

Thanks,
Max
mxmiceli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Slow load times (component meshes)

Postby ChrisHekman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:59 pm

ChrisHekman Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:59 pm
Would it be possible for you to share your scene? How many mesh components are you using?
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mxmiceli » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:11 pm

mxmiceli Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:11 pm
Hi Chris,

I'm not sure how many, but I did get the okay to send it over.

Do you have a secure file sharing system that Otoy uses? Otherwise I have ways to send it over if you can provide an email.

Also should I send the sketchup, datasmith, or ue4 file?

Thanks,
Max
mxmiceli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EvolverInteractive » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:56 pm

EvolverInteractive Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:56 pm
Slow load times for DataSmith is the Lightmap generation and the fact DataSmith turns a building into 10000 static mesh you are then limited to the speed of your hard drive.

1. Wait the 5 hours it takes,
2. Make sure you have better mesh (components for DataSmith so you are using instancing and not individual static mesh)
3. Lastly you can then combine mesh after it imports group by material or by mesh.
EvolverInteractive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:28 pm

ChrisHekman Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:28 pm
That sounds quite severe.
I checked it out and found a fix, it will be part of the next build.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mxmiceli » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:30 pm

mxmiceli Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:30 pm
Not sure if I explained it right or maybe I'm misunderstanding something about how UE4 sends scenes to octane.

I don't believe the problem is lightmap generation or datasmith specific (as far as I can tell) because the slowdown is not happening during datasmith import. Everything comes into ue4 in a reasonable amount of time (~5 minutes) the problem is sending that data to octane when I click activate octane.

A few clarifications:
I don't think the problem is drive speed because it's not slow outright, it slows down over time as the file loads from ue4 into octane. It starts out going about a percent a second then slows down more and more.
My scene does use instancing, through components in sketchup, which come through in ue4 as instances when you use datasmith (though I'm not sure how octane recieves that data from ue4)
My model is not an entire building, since I was rendering one floor of the building, I already culled out a lot of unnecessary geometry. There are two rooms that are pretty dense, because they have accurate furniture and light fixtures, but we're not talking about a whole office building.
Also like I mentioned in my original post it loads pretty quickly as an fbx into octane standalone so it seems like it shouldn't be file size alone that's holding things up.

I do think potentially combining by material could resolve the issue but my hope was to use ue4 as a workspace where I can manipulate materials and place things freely rather than locking myself into material assignments made back in sketchup as software packages like Lumion do.

I totally understand why octane in ue4 wouldn't be built for how I hope to use it, because it's not a typical workflow, but I'm just trying to work out if this is a bug or workflow limitation.

Chris, I'm glad to hear you may have a fix already in place. I'll test it out on the same scene as soon as it's released. That said if you still would like me to send my scene over, let me know and I can do so for further debugging on your end.
mxmiceli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:38 pm

ChrisHekman Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:38 pm
Hi mxmiceli

I have released new build, I hope it has fixed your issue.

The issue I found and fixed was a problem with a lot of mesh components.
For example I made a scene with 10.000 static mesh components that all have a white box. This proved to load very slowly. This problem has been fixed in the new build.
I think this is the same issue you has, it is becomes slower and slower as there are more components.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mxmiceli » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:13 pm

mxmiceli Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:13 pm
Just tested it and everything went smoothly. The loading still takes a bit because of the filesize, but it no longer slows down and is pretty reasonable compared to other render engines I've used

Thanks for the quick fix!
mxmiceli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports