Forums: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Re: Public Beta...

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:00 am

ChrisHekman Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:00 am
joshkitney wrote:Hi Chris
Thanks for the reply.
I still get bumped as it looks like I don't have "All access".
Stand alone and a couple of plug in options but no All Access.

Bummer.

Does this happen with studio or enterprise?
You can try prime, everybody should have access to that version.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier

Postby Schauk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:09 pm

Schauk Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:09 pm
great plugin!

maybe one can explain me how the exposure works with the plugin. the exposure ive set in unreal is completly ignored, am i right?
but how does it work with using realistic light values in unreal?
for example, ive lit a interior based on physically correct values in unreal (using lumens), which looks fine in unreal with the appropiate ev100 exposure setting (5 in this case)
but in the octane settings, i have to set the exposure value to something like 0,1 to make it look similar. (when it should be higher then 1, as also stated in the tooltip)
Schauk

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:26 pm

bepeg4d Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:26 pm
Hi,
about using lumen with Blackbody or Texture Emission node, please have a look at these other old discussions here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62045&p=317233&hilit=lumen#p317233
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=42275&p=313725&hilit=lumen#p313725
Happy GPU Rendering,
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Schauk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:29 pm

Schauk Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:29 pm
thanks for the answer. but somehow i dont get it. unreal supports candelas, lumens and "unitless" values for lights. you cant enter watts.
since i want a physically correct look in unreal i m using lumens or candelas. but which one i m supposed to use so it looks fine in octane without breaking the unreal scene? :?
Schauk

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:15 pm

ChrisHekman Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:15 pm
Schauk wrote:thanks for the answer. but somehow i dont get it. unreal supports candelas, lumens and "unitless" values for lights. you cant enter watts.
since i want a physically correct look in unreal i m using lumens or candelas. but which one i m supposed to use so it looks fine in octane without breaking the unreal scene? :?

The short awnser is that it is generally better to leave your unreal scene as is, and change the settings on the imager node to try to match exposure levels.

This problem exists because unreal uses various post processing that influence how bright a scene appears.
Additionally unreal uses a somewhat different BDRF that can result in different lighting results with the same input values.

The main unreal post process features that influence brightness are
- Tonemapper (including exposure),
- Eye adaption
- Bloom

The plugin converts light lumen/candelas values as the same to octane. However, octane has different post processing,
which can result in different end results as we do not directly convert tonemapping settings to the octane rendertarget.

There could be a mistake on the plugin side.
To check if there is a mistake you can do a baseline comparison of your scene as follows
- In the Unreal viewport: Select the following buffer visualisation: Lit -> Buffer Visualisation -> Post-Tonemap.
*You should now see your unreal scene as it is before any postprocessing.
- Create a new Octane rendertarget
- Go to the imager node
- In the imager node set the Response curve to "Gamma 2.2.

The octane results should now match the unreal results as close as possible.
If there are still large differences please let me know.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby GeorgeSears » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:25 pm

GeorgeSears Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:25 pm
Hi, I'm using the Octane free tier public beta for Unreal Engine and can't figure out how to enable motion blur for the sequencer. Please help.
GeorgeSears

Postby showpixel » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:10 pm

showpixel Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:10 pm
Hi, i have problems with one of my maps. It loads correctly but when i do enable octane, it crashes when it attemps to load the landscape material.
This is the Errormessage
Assertion failed: Pair != nullptr [File:C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers/Map.h] [Line: 584]
UE4Editor_Core!AssertFailedImplV() [D:\Build\++UE4+Licensee\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Misc\AssertionMacros.cpp:100]
UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::CheckVerifyFailedImpl() [D:\Build\++UE4+Licensee\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Misc\AssertionMacros.cpp:450]
UE4Editor_OctanePlugin

It also fails to load the ultra dynamic sky blueprint which controls cloud and lights.
showpixel

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:02 am

ChrisHekman Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:02 am
showpixel wrote:Hi, i have problems with one of my maps. It loads correctly but when i do enable octane, it crashes when it attemps to load the landscape material.
This is the Errormessage
Assertion failed: Pair != nullptr [File:C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers/Map.h] [Line: 584]
UE4Editor_Core!AssertFailedImplV() [D:\Build\++UE4+Licensee\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Misc\AssertionMacros.cpp:100]
UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::CheckVerifyFailedImpl() [D:\Build\++UE4+Licensee\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Misc\AssertionMacros.cpp:450]
UE4Editor_OctanePlugin

It also fails to load the ultra dynamic sky blueprint which controls cloud and lights.

These issues should be fixed in the latest build.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Previous

Return to Releases