UE Materials Not Rendering with Octane X / Plug-in

Forums: UE Materials Not Rendering with Octane X / Plug-in
Unreal® Engine Integrated Plugin

Moderator: ChrisHekman

UE Materials Not Rendering with Octane X / Plug-in

Postby mhandy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:06 am

mhandy Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:06 am
Greetings -

I've watched several examples and by all accounts, UE materials are supposed to automatically and render in Octane. No matter what my UE level looks like, when I use an Octane Viewport, everything is just a basic grey (gray) material. If I create an Octane material and map it to an object, it renders with the properties of that Octane material correctly.

In most examples, clicking on the Octane plug in button creates an OctaneRenderTargetActor, but that doesn't happen for me. I have to go to the Octane plugin dropdown and select Create Render Target and click render in the object. Then the grey materials appear. I've seen some examples that work that way too. It's such a simple series of steps, I can't help but think there's a problem with my install.

Any suggestions about what I could be missing or doing wrong?

TIA.

iMac Pro - Octane X - Octane Render Stand Alone Licence
UE 4.26.1
BigSur 11.2.3
mhandy

Re: UE Materials Not Rendering with Octane X / Plug-in

Postby vincyber » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:13 am

vincyber Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:13 am
hi, i also have the same problem as mhandy. any solution? :cry:
vincyber

Re: UE Materials Not Rendering with Octane X / Plug-in

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:17 pm

ChrisHekman Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:17 pm
The Octane plugin for unreal heavily relies on OSL in order to convert unreal materials to octane materials.
The upside of this method is that the converted materials are pretty good conversions compared to other octane plugins.

However, at the moment OctaneX does not support OSL because of technical issues. Which means that the material conversion does not work for now.
The OctaneX team is working on this feature, although I do not know when it will be finished. It has taken longer than I anticipated.

Ill check with the team about what the timeframe is for OSL for OctaneX.
If it is really far off, I might revert the Mac version of the plugin to use an older node-based conversion method.
This method has much worse results though, which is why we held off on re-implementing it.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Unreal® Engine