When the interactive rendering is switched, it is stuck and

Forums: When the interactive rendering is switched, it is stuck and
Unreal® Engine Integrated Plugin

Moderator: ChrisHekman

When the interactive rendering is switched, it is stuck and

Postby TBModel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:03 am

TBModel Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:03 am
I'm trying to render a scene with tens of thousands of plants. When I just click render, the renderer can work normally. But when I switch the lens or modify the scene, the renderer quickly gets stuck when I update or modify the lens. Then I click octane GUI, which displays the part occupied by the rendering hardware and displays red characters, but only prompts GPU Error, no useful tips?? I need to click stop, then click continue, then stop, and then continue. It is possible to start rendering again after several times. What is the cause of this? I set 64 GB ram share for GPU in device settings,

And gave 32 GB of cache space, but did not completely improve the problem.

And I find that caustics rendering is not supported at present? I don't see any caustics on glass objects, even though I use path tracking kernel;
TBModel

Re: When the interactive rendering is switched, it is stuck and

Postby ChrisHekman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:04 pm

ChrisHekman Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:04 pm
You can check the log in the OctaneGUI.
In the octane gui, go to the top bar and click "windows"
Then select "craete log window"
Then you should see the logs of this error. Could you share them with me?
If you are using interactive mode and unreal viewport rendering, it might be that the first frame just takes a while for heavy scenes. Have you tried waiting?

Caustics are supported. Although they require a lot of samples. You can increase the caustic blur to make them show up faster (although they become more blurred)
It is also advised to use octane materials for glass surfaces, as the conversion of glas isnt always perfect. Using octane materials can also help caustics appearing and renderign faster.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby TBModel » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:26 am

TBModel Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:26 am
Through the later tests, I found that this is caused by the "use RTX acceleration" option. Once this option is turned on, when rendering large and complex scenes, it will often display errors, or even fail to render directly. However, when RTX acceleration is turned off, it is too slow. My scene rendering speed is only 0.5m. You need to know that when RTX is turned on, it can have a speed of 7m, which is not even faster than CPU rendering ;
TBModel

Postby TBModel » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:37 am

TBModel Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:37 am
This section is the error report of the log after RTX acceleration:
CUDA error 2 on device 0: out of memory
-> failed to allocate device memory
CUDA error 2 on device 0: out of memory
-> failed to allocate device memory
OptiX error for device 0: [ERROR] "sbt->raygenRecord" is null
OptiX API error for device 0: Invalid value
device 0: direct light kernel failed

I use 64g ram + RTX 2080 Ti
TBModel

Postby TBModel » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:26 am

TBModel Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:26 am
ChrisHekman wrote:You can check the log in the OctaneGUI.
If you are using interactive mode and unreal viewport rendering, it might be that the first frame just takes a while for heavy scenes. Have you tried waiting?

Caustics are supported. Although they require a lot of samples. You can increase the caustic blur to make them show up faster (although they become more blurred)
It is also advised to use octane materials for glass surfaces, as the conversion of glas isnt always perfect. Using octane materials can also help caustics appearing and renderign faster.

We have confirmed that this is a problem caused by RTX acceleration. We are rendering a scene of 28 million triangles. There are many vegetation in this scene, and the number of triangles including instances should be around 600 million. This scene can't use RTX acceleration at all. I see your other post, and also try to reduce the parallel samples to 2, but still can't use RTX acceleration. This scene The rendering of is really stuck.

After a lot of tests, if we slightly delete some polygons, for example, reduce to 20 million, the rendering speed can be increased from 0.5m to 5m, or even higher. I don't know why this happens? Is this a bottleneck?

In addition, if you simplify a part of the content, RTX acceleration can be turned on occasionally, and the speed can reach 10 or higher after turning on RTX acceleration. I don't understand why there is such a big difference. It seems that RTX can't be turned on because RTX doesn't support RAM memory yet? But why is there such a big speed difference when only 8 million triangles are deleted??
TBModel

Postby ChrisHekman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:40 pm

ChrisHekman Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:40 pm
TBModel wrote:

We have confirmed that this is a problem caused by RTX acceleration. We are rendering a scene of 28 million triangles. There are many vegetation in this scene, and the number of triangles including instances should be around 600 million. This scene can't use RTX acceleration at all. I see your other post, and also try to reduce the parallel samples to 2, but still can't use RTX acceleration. This scene The rendering of is really stuck.

After a lot of tests, if we slightly delete some polygons, for example, reduce to 20 million, the rendering speed can be increased from 0.5m to 5m, or even higher. I don't know why this happens? Is this a bottleneck?

In addition, if you simplify a part of the content, RTX acceleration can be turned on occasionally, and the speed can reach 10 or higher after turning on RTX acceleration. I don't understand why there is such a big difference. It seems that RTX can't be turned on because RTX doesn't support RAM memory yet? But why is there such a big speed difference when only 8 million triangles are deleted??

Could you share your device memeory? In the octane gui, go to file -> preferences -> devices.
Preferably a screenshot.

The reason there is a big footprint when using RTX, is that the acceleration structure that RTX creates effectively duplicates most of the mesh data in the scene in order to trace it.
It should support instancing, so it should not be a problem to have a lot of vegetation instances.

Note that unreal also consumes a lot of vram when using large scenes. So one solution could be to export your scene via the ORBX Exporter in the unreal Sequencer.
And then render out your ORBX file in octane standalone.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby TBModel » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:24 pm

TBModel Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:24 pm
ChrisHekman wrote:
TBModel wrote:

Could you share your device memeory? In the octane gui, go to file -> preferences -> devices.
Preferably a screenshot.

The reason there is a big footprint when using RTX, is that the acceleration structure that RTX creates effectively duplicates most of the mesh data in the scene in order to trace it.
It should support instancing, so it should not be a problem to have a lot of vegetation instances.

Note that unreal also consumes a lot of vram when using large scenes. So one solution could be to export your scene via the ORBX Exporter in the unreal Sequencer.

The text I posted above is the content displayed in the log. It prompts CUDA or insufficient memory, but I use 64g RAM as additional memory. When the number of polygons in the scene is small, it can render the scene faster, and RTX acceleration is basically normal, but when I render a scene with more than 30 million non instance triangles (the total number of triangles The RTX acceleration can't be used at all. The above errors have been repeatedly reported;

Moreover, even if I use normal rendering, the rendering speed is terrible. In the past, I could render scenes at a speed of up to 10-20 m (using the default parameters). Even when rendering large and complex scenes, it can be guaranteed to be around 5-10m, but the rendering speed of this scene (non instance triangle) with more than 30 million triangles is only 0.5m!! It's really slow..

In addition, when rendering this scene, RTX acceleration becomes completely unavailable. I have tried to simplify some polygons in the scene and control triangles (non instances) to about 20 million. At this time, the rendering speed becomes normal, about 5-6m, and RTX acceleration can be turned on normally. After turning on, the speed can be increased to 10-20m;

Is this caused by the speed difference between ram and VRAM? Or are there other bugs? The rendering speed of 0.5m is really too slow. This is just a 30 million triangle (non instance) scene. I can't believe what will happen to the larger scene and whether the speed will drop to 0.1M or even lower.
TBModel

Postby TBModel » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:52 am

TBModel Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:52 am
ChrisHekman wrote:
TBModel wrote:

Preferably a screenshot.

These five pictures are my rendering settings, information in various GUIs, and rendering speed, and finally the information of my rendered scene. As I said above, 2080ti + 64g RAM can only render at the speed of 0.5, RTX can't be turned on, even if I change the parallel sample to 2, it has no effect. When it is turned on, an error is reported and it can't be rendered. As mentioned above, this scene is not a very large one, but it still has this problem.

TBModel

Postby theghalwash » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 pm

theghalwash Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 pm
i have the same problem and I don't think it is really running out of memory.. it is a bug.. anyway what I usually do to solve this temporarily .. i open ocean gui.. heading to preferences and then devices and then check use rtx.. the scene will start rendering for a while and then it will be stuck again..do the same thing and uncheck the box it will start rendering again..keep doing this until otoy gets to fix this..let me know if it worked for you.
theghalwash

Postby gfxtramp » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:51 am

gfxtramp Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:51 am
Did this ever get resolved?
Looking at the settings above I'm using the same GPU and setup for rendering and it's failing the same every time.
gfxtramp

Next

Return to Unreal® Engine