When can we support high fog, big fog? Rendering without fog

Forums: When can we support high fog, big fog? Rendering without fog
Unreal® Engine Integrated Plugin

Moderator: ChrisHekman

When can we support high fog, big fog? Rendering without fog

Postby TBModel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:56 am

TBModel Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:56 am
At present, the octane renderer of the virtual engine does not have any fog support at all, which results in a very poor sense of level of the rendered scene. When can I support the rendering or conversion of the virtual internal fog?
TBModel

Re: When can we support high fog, big fog? Rendering without fog

Postby ChrisHekman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:58 pm

ChrisHekman Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:58 pm
Do you mean volumetric fog from unreal? This is not supported atm, but we are looking into it.
You could try to use octane fog, either by creating a fog octane material, or by using the environment fog that is part of the environment node in the rendertarget.
Last edited by ChrisHekman on Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby TBModel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:16 am

TBModel Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:16 am
ChrisHekman wrote:Do you mean volumetric fog from unreal? This is not supported atm, but we are looking into it.
You could try to use unreal fog, either by creating a fog octane material, or by using the environment fog that is part of the environment node in the rendertarget.

Hello, thank you for your reply. I checked the options of rendernTarget. It seems that I didn't find the fog related options in the environment column?

At the same time, I also want to ask, how to make the illusory point light source and spotlight produce soft shadow? Or adjust the softness and hardness of shadows? In the original DXR rendering of illusion, the option of light source area or light source radius can be correctly supported. However, octane rendering seems to completely ignore these options, which leads to my inability to find a way to generate soft shadows using point light and spotlight. Is this not supported yet, or is there another way to solve it?
TBModel

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:09 pm

ChrisHekman Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:09 pm
TBModel wrote:
ChrisHekman wrote:Do you mean volumetric fog from unreal? This is not supported atm, but we are looking into it.
You could try to use unreal fog, either by creating a fog octane material, or by using the environment fog that is part of the environment node in the rendertarget.

Hello, thank you for your reply. I checked the options of rendernTarget. It seems that I didn't find the fog related options in the environment column?

Its the "medium" item. This creates a volume around the camera that can do scattering. The "medium radius" determines the size of this volume around the camera.
When you create a new volume or scattering medium node for the environment, dont forget to set the scattering color to get scattering.

Example:
Medium.png

Another way is to create an actual fog material. Simply place an unreal box
Create new octane material, place it on the unreal box.
Open the octane matieral and add a specular material node, attach it to the output, and then add the same volume material as in the example picture above.

TBModel wrote:At the same time, I also want to ask, how to make the illusory point light source and spotlight produce soft shadow? Or adjust the softness and hardness of shadows? In the original DXR rendering of illusion, the option of light source area or light source radius can be correctly supported. However, octane rendering seems to completely ignore these options, which leads to my inability to find a way to generate soft shadows using point light and spotlight. Is this not supported yet, or is there another way to solve it?

Im not quite sure what you mean. Could you show me an example?

You can set
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Unreal® Engine