Glass conversion?

Forums: Glass conversion?
Unreal® Engine Integrated Plugin

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Glass conversion?

Postby Sheiken » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:52 pm

Sheiken Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:52 pm
Hi,
I am trying to get a workflow from SketchUp ->UE4->Octane. In Unreal I can use the Megascans materials and import FBX props, which I can not in SketchUp. From SU->UE4 I am using DataSmith. In UE4 I am using the empty ArchViz scene (with Ray-tracing).
After import the scene looks different than it does in SU->Octane. The sun is over exposing the scene, and it would be nice to have the exposure close to something that will work with the default UE4 environment. That is not a big problem, tho. My main issue now is the glass conversion.

The SU transparent glass (thickness 0,3mm- two faces) works fine in SU->Octane, and I have enough light for interior scenes. After import to UE4 the same glass hardly lets any light enter the room. Of course there is first the SU->UE4 conversion, and then the UE4-Octane conversion, and I am not very good at either UE4 or Octane materials setup, yet.
I tried replacing the window material with the transparent material in the UE Starter Content lib, but it doesn't work well either.
I didn't understand how to override the UE material with an Octane material, The documentation was rather short. (Drag-doping a Octane material in the render view port crashes UE). Can someone explain how that works? Oh, and what material should I use in interiors? The Architectural Glass?
Or, is there a UE material that will work both in UE and Octane?
Sheiken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Glass conversion?

Postby EvolverInteractive » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:21 pm

EvolverInteractive Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:21 pm
You'll need to setup your own glass and they you can re assign is as the sketchup glass. You get better and faster results that way
EvolverInteractive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Glass conversion?

Postby ChrisHekman » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:49 pm

ChrisHekman Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:49 pm
Sheiken wrote:Hi,
I am trying to get a workflow from SketchUp ->UE4->Octane. In Unreal I can use the Megascans materials and import FBX props, which I can not in SketchUp. From SU->UE4 I am using DataSmith. In UE4 I am using the empty ArchViz scene (with Ray-tracing).
After import the scene looks different than it does in SU->Octane. The sun is over exposing the scene, and it would be nice to have the exposure close to something that will work with the default UE4 environment. That is not a big problem, tho. My main issue now is the glass conversion.

Octane and unreal have different post processing systems, which means that exposure can differ wildly. The plugin tries to match the default OctaneRenderTargetActor with the unreal "Post-Tonemap HDR Color" view mode in the buffer visualization tab.
If those two do not match, could you PM me your scene?

The SU transparent glass (thickness 0,3mm- two faces) works fine in SU->Octane, and I have enough light for interior scenes. After import to UE4 the same glass hardly lets any light enter the room. Of course there is first the SU->UE4 conversion, and then the UE4-Octane conversion, and I am not very good at either UE4 or Octane materials setup, yet.

Would it be possible for you to share your scene with me? You can PM me or email me.

I didn't understand how to override the UE material with an Octane material, The documentation was rather short. (Drag-doping a Octane material in the render view port crashes UE). Can someone explain how that works? Oh, and what material should I use in interiors? The Architectural Glass?
Or, is there a UE material that will work both in UE and Octane?

Translucent materials are a problem to convert as Unreal uses a setup that is difficult to emulate in Octane for all possible cases. Which means most glass type materials are wrong in some way.
The best way is to create a new Octane material, add a specular material and make its specular high, and set an refraction index.

The documentation was rather short. (Drag-doping a Octane material in the render view port crashes UE)

Could you tell me the steps to reporduce this crash?
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Unreal® Engine