Octane UE plugin causing video memory to be exhausted

Forums: Octane UE plugin causing video memory to be exhausted
Unreal® Engine Integrated Plugin

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Octane UE plugin causing video memory to be exhausted

Postby Ferdinand13 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:17 pm

Ferdinand13 Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:17 pm
Hello,

Thanks again for all the many improvements that have gone into the UE plugin of Octane so far. There's a lot to like, but also a lot that seems to pop up out of nowhere causing problems, like the following:

Octane_UE_VideoMemoryExhausted.png

For some reason, Octane throws up a Video memory exhausted error in UE5's viewport (not the Octane Render View), once I fire up Octane. I've gone through and deactivated all geometry, then added it back in one after the other, but the findings are inconclusive. Of course everything runs well, when there's almost nothing in the shot, but once you load ever so slightly more complex scenes, it becomes a game of roulette, in which Unreal will suddenly decide that the video memory is exhausted, meaning the editor will either crash or become so sluggish that you will have to force shut it, in order to regain control of your PC.

Any idea what's happening here and how to avoid it?

This is my number one reason why I still haven't thrown any professional gigs at Octane inside UE, because these issues would leave me dead in the water. Thanks for letting me know :)
Custom PC, Intel Core i7-6800K, 48GB RAM, 3x MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Seahawk EK, Windows 10
Razer Blade Pro 17, Intel Core i7-10875H, 32GB RAM, 1x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 1x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid (eGPU), Windows 10
Ferdinand13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane UE plugin causing video memory to be exhausted

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:18 am

ChrisHekman Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:18 am
Interesting, what GPU are you using?
Can you share a screenshot of the octane preference window when you have the scene opened?
*Note that octane will need to be rendering for the window information to be correct.

This is what it should look like
Memory.png
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Ferdinand13 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:33 pm

Ferdinand13 Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:33 pm
Hi Chris,

Sure. This is how things look like:

Screenshot 2022-07-04 080440.png

Does this shed any light on the problem? Thanks for letting me know.
Custom PC, Intel Core i7-6800K, 48GB RAM, 3x MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Seahawk EK, Windows 10
Razer Blade Pro 17, Intel Core i7-10875H, 32GB RAM, 1x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 1x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid (eGPU), Windows 10
Ferdinand13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby joshuamkerr » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:32 am

joshuamkerr Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:32 am
Very interested to hear more on this error.
joshuamkerr

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:22 am

ChrisHekman Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:22 am
ChrisHekman wrote:Interesting, what GPU are you using?
Can you share a screenshot of the octane preference window when you have the scene opened?
*Note that octane will need to be rendering for the window information to be correct.

This is what it should look like
Memory.png

Sorry for the late reply, I thought I already replied to this, but I think I didnt press submit.

Juding from this, it seems you are using a lot of textures, or multiple high-res textures.
Octane does not have the mip capabilities that Unreal has, and will load the highest resolution for each texture.

To reduce your memory footprint you could try and reduce your memory footprint.
You can change the lod bias on unreal textures by double clicking the texture and changing the lodbias in the texture settings.
Octane will use the specified lod, which can save a tremendous amount of memory.
*Note that this only happens on texture load in octane, so if you want to change it in octane you will have to change it before activating octane, or by unloading and reloading the texture by removing it from the scene (or reloading the scene)
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Unreal® Engine