Displacement Bug

Forums: Displacement Bug
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Displacement Bug

Postby manusd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 am

manusd Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 am
Hi, I have some decal materials that use texture displacement and opacity maps. In some cases I have this artifacts that you can see in the image, they have the shape of a geometry triangle and they kind of show us the background, as you can see. I think that they are transparency issues. I dont know if the mixture of opacity and displacement is causing this and if you have reported other simimlar bugs and know how to solve it. Besides, the decal is not close enough to the road so it is not a overlapping issue, this continue happening even if I move the decal.
Attachments
bug2.PNG
manusd

Re: Displacement Bug

Postby jalley » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:47 am

jalley Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:47 am
Yeah, I have the same issue. Behavior slightly changes when you alter the import options of the displacement texture, particularly related to the alpha channel. It seems that texture displacement does not interpret correctly the alpha channel, since for transparent regions it should just ignore the displacement and show the existing geometry in the scene behind it. Instead it is removing some triangles in the background of the scene, which is a totally unexpected behavior. Falling back to vertex displacement requires huge amount of geometry tesselation which is impractical. At least for us, fixing this can save a lot of effort. Thank you!
jalley
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:13 pm

ChrisHekman Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:13 pm
manusd wrote:Hi, I have some decal materials that use texture displacement and opacity maps. In some cases I have this artifacts that you can see in the image, they have the shape of a geometry triangle and they kind of show us the background, as you can see. I think that they are transparency issues. I dont know if the mixture of opacity and displacement is causing this and if you have reported other simimlar bugs and know how to solve it. Besides, the decal is not close enough to the road so it is not a overlapping issue, this continue happening even if I move the decal.

Would it be possible to share the material and scene with me?
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby manusd » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:22 am

manusd Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:22 am
manusd

Return to Octane for Unity