NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby Jedi_blade » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:58 pm

Jedi_blade Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:58 pm
It seems like Octane X does a lot of crashing when I attempt to delete something. If I delete a node, or a shader, or a shader from a object. So I've attached my log if anyone can help me as to why.
Attachments
octanelog_report.zip
(22.73 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
Mac Pro (2019)
3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W
96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Two AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB
After Burner
Jedi_blade
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Weezer » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:06 am

Weezer Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:06 am
I don't use nodes very much – a bit old school with my layered C4D materials – so I don't have this issue. But in terms of it staying up and running during general use, it's almost infinitely better than it was when I used the macOS CUDA version a few years back.
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby CookItOff » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:21 pm

CookItOff Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:21 pm
CookItOff wrote:I have a Studio license and I can't get the Octane Server with combined with the Octane Blender app to start/run on my M1 Mac Mini. The server will download and act like it installs but once I click on the server icon after moving it to the applications folder, nothing happens. The Octane Blender App instals and loads fine minus the server not connecting, obviously since the server app never starts.
I have checked the Activity Monitor and the Server App never shows up.

The Standalone version works fine.

Thanks,
Tim

Anyone have any ideas?

I just need to get Octane Server to start on my M1 Mac Mini. As a paying customer is there an official support line or chat I should call vs this forum?

Thanks,
Tim
CookItOff

Postby CookItOff » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:36 pm

CookItOff Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:36 pm
I found the Email support section on the site.
Thanks.

Sorry I had to make another post but my post are still being moderated and I couldn't edit my previous unmoderated entry, yet.
CookItOff

Postby Jedi_blade » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Jedi_blade Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:00 pm
Are they working on Octane X. There is a giant ad on the front page and it says stable, but as I just found out in the Lights, Camera, and Render Class, the Octane X version is not holding up for people with the most powerful setups. What is happening with this, why is so bad. By listing it as stable it seems like OTOY is saying good luck but we do not care that you're paying for something that does not work. I get it is not easy but it would be easy to list what it has in development. Apple pushed this as a big deal to get people to buy their Mac Pro, I feel like they tricked me.
Mac Pro (2019)
96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
After Burner
Jedi_blade
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby julienm » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:21 pm

julienm Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:21 pm
Jedi_blade wrote:Are they working on Octane X. There is a giant ad on the front page and it says stable, but as I just found out in the Lights, Camera, and Render Class, the Octane X version is not holding up for people with the most powerful setups. What is happening with this, why is so bad. By listing it as stable it seems like OTOY is saying good luck but we do not care that you're paying for something that does not work. I get it is not easy but it would be easy to list what it has in development. Apple pushed this as a big deal to get people to buy their Mac Pro, I feel like they tricked me.

Same here, love the course, but my set up crashes constantly on the smallest of things, like adding a texture, scaling textures, turning on a normal map, camera angle update...It is quite frustrating and I am considering leaving the course if I can't get further with the lessons...
julienm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby joenyc » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:20 am

joenyc Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:20 am
What is the relationship between Octane X and Octane 2020.2. When are the feature sets expected to converge? It seemed that Octane X was slightly ahead for a while and now 2020.2 seems to have newer features that X doesn't. I've asked a similar question before, but the roadmap is still very unclear to me. Will all be unified under an OctaneRender 2021 release?
Mac Pro (2019), 2.7 GHz 24-Core, 384GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro W5700X | Houdini
joenyc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby twinsense » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:38 pm

twinsense Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:38 pm
Goldorak wrote:Dear Octane community,

Can I mix octane X (Metal) and OctaneRender 2020 (CUDA) render nodes over net render?

You cannot mix Metal and Cuda over net render - yet - Octane X is a version ahead of CUDA, and we need to sync them together after Octane X macOS 11 and after OctaneRender 2020.2 are done. The release after those is where we would have the first opportunity to support mixed Metal/CUDA network rendering.

Is this working already? Because im working with a MAC and windows/Nvidea based render PC. Anyone knows?
twinsense
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby twinsense » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:40 pm

twinsense Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:40 pm
Goldorak wrote:Dear Octane community,

Can I mix octane X (Metal) and OctaneRender 2020 (CUDA) render nodes over net render?

You cannot mix Metal and Cuda over net render - yet - Octane X is a version ahead of CUDA, and we need to sync them together after Octane X macOS 11 and after OctaneRender 2020.2 are done. The release after those is where we would have the first opportunity to support mixed Metal/CUDA network rendering.

Is this working already? Because im working with a MAC and windows/Nvidea based render PC. Anyone knows?
twinsense
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jedi_blade » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:12 am

Jedi_blade Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:12 am
julienm wrote:
Jedi_blade wrote:Are they working on Octane X. There is a giant ad on the front page and it says stable, but as I just found out in the Lights, Camera, and Render Class, the Octane X version is not holding up for people with the most powerful setups. What is happening with this, why is so bad. By listing it as stable it seems like OTOY is saying good luck but we do not care that you're paying for something that does not work. I get it is not easy but it would be easy to list what it has in development. Apple pushed this as a big deal to get people to buy their Mac Pro, I feel like they tricked me.

Same here, love the course, but my set up crashes constantly on the smallest of things, like adding a texture, scaling textures, turning on a normal map, camera angle update...It is quite frustrating and I am considering leaving the course if I can't get further with the lessons...

Yea, I do not know what happens and the support does not either, my will random claim I have no paid sub and then crash like crazy. It is much slower than it should be too, I have two Radion Vegas Duos and I cannot use it like a normal GPU render. It is more akin to the physical render in that I have to wait until the scene updates complete before I see any kind of change. And the Denoiser or upsampler has never actually worked.

I prepared for this course for awhile and bought a bunch of octane assets. Apple convinced me they would soon have the most stable GPU system out when I decided to buy them.
Mac Pro (2019)
96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
After Burner
Jedi_blade
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Octane for Unity