Real world Octane C4D to Octane Unity?

Forums: Real world Octane C4D to Octane Unity?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Real world Octane C4D to Octane Unity?

Postby frankmci » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:55 pm

frankmci Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:55 pm
We've been using Octane with C4D for several years, and it's our renderer of choice. We have a proposed job coming up that will most likely use the Unity engine for some relatively basic, real-time interactive model viewing and manipulation. We've only done a few small real-time jobs in the past, and that was many years ago, with very different technology.

When the job proposal came up, I thought, "Hey, since Octane has been integrated with Unity, it should be a pretty smooth transition from asset creation in C4D to deployment in Unity, and it will look great!" I've spent most of the last 30 years doing dog-slow pre-rendered animation, and I was excited to see what we can do in real time with the help of Octane and a game engine.

Now, I'm not so sure. I've watched a few videos, listened to some podcasts, done some poking around with Octane/Unity, but as far as I can tell, Octane really has nothing to do with any of the realtime aspects of Unity, other than perhaps texture baking. Is there really any reason to use Octane in Unity if we're going to do all our texture building, baking, etc. in C4D? It seems like an unnecessary complication if you've already got access to Octane in your primary 3D asset creation tool.

I saw these threads from three years ago and another from last year, and haven't really found anything any more compelling, since. Am I just missing something obvious?
viewtopic.php?f=129&t=62786
viewtopic.php?f=129&t=72948

I've already spent several hours with Octane licensing errors in Unity, and don't want to waste more time on it if it's not really going to be useful. Any insights from the community would be appreciated.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Octane for Unity