Octane for Unity and Puppet3D?

Forums: Octane for Unity and Puppet3D?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Octane for Unity and Puppet3D?

Postby bwatanabe » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:32 pm

bwatanabe Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:32 pm
I'm trying to use the Unity asset Puppet3D (https://forum.unity.com/threads/release ... ty.519657/), which is a toolset for rigging models in Unity.
I've got a rigged character that consists of a single Skinned Mesh renderer, and Octane can correctly render that.
However, when I animate using the Puppet3D functionality, I can see the updates to the mesh in the Unity Editor and game window, but Octane doesn't render the changes, just the original mesh unaffected.
Oddly, if I shut down Unity and restart, Octane will render the Puppet3d pose that was last saved, but no changes in real time.

I'm guessing Octane is not receiving a trigger from the dynamic mesh changes using Puppet3D. Any suggestions on how I might make this work?

Thanks,
Brent
bwatanabe

Re: Octane for Unity and Puppet3D?

Postby bwatanabe » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 pm

bwatanabe Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 pm
A follow up, as I found a (slightly clunky) solution:
If I timeline animate the mesh renderer object (even though it doesn't move in the editor) it seems to force a redraw, which Octane recognizes and renders. This isn't great while editing, as sometimes Octane constantly tries to refresh, but if i work with Octane unloaded, then load Octane when I'm ready to record, I think it will work.
bwatanabe

Return to Octane for Unity