Automating Baking Workflows? Baking Material Shell?

Forums: Automating Baking Workflows? Baking Material Shell?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Automating Baking Workflows? Baking Material Shell?

Postby SamuelAB » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:55 am

SamuelAB Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:55 am
Hi,

Has anyone played with baking in Unity?

I have a question regarding the management of textures and materials. Let's say I have a scene with 100 objects that all have individual light maps. Technically, I would have to do this ever time I update the scene:
-Start scene with 100 objects with original materials
-Render 100 textures
-Assign 100 textures to 100 materials
-Assign 100 materials to 100 objects

At that point, all the original materials are no longer assigned, so if I try to render an update lightmap, it won't render properly.
--
There is one solution I like, Flatiron is a texture baking software for 3ds Max. Its solution is to produce a "shell" for each material. This shell protects the relationship of the original and baked material so that both can love simultaneously. Users are given a toggle to determine if the want to render with the original or baked results. Once a decision is made, it is possible to destroy the shell and keep only the baked or original part of the material.

Shell.jpg
Shell.jpg (13.04 KiB) Viewed 2152 times

Is there a similar way to apply this concept in Octane for Unity?
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Automating Baking Workflows? Baking Material Shell?

Postby wadams201 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:06 pm

wadams201 Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:06 pm
If you haven't already figured this out, there are two approaches that I've used.

1. Use the lightmapper integration instead of the texture workflow

2. To create a similar result as your "shell" approach, (at least as I understand it,) I set up two scenes, a "baking" scene and a "result" scene. Keep the materials you want to render applied to your objects in the baking scene, and in the result scene, replace the materials with the appropriate material with the new baked texture.
wadams201

Re: Automating Baking Workflows? Baking Material Shell?

Postby SamuelAB » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:58 pm

SamuelAB Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:58 pm
Hi Wadams,

I found that when using the lightmapper integration, you cannot update more than one texture at a time. Perhaps I am doing it incorrectly?

I've been using the following guides:
https://unity.otoy.com/guides/baking-lighting-textures/
https://unity.otoy.com/guides/live-ligh ... guide-new/

I do know about the possibility to have two scenes, but it is highly restrictive and doubles the amount of work for updates. I will do that as a last resort.
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Octane for Unity