How to bake the Sydney Opera House? many textures/shaders

Forums: How to bake the Sydney Opera House? many textures/shaders
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Re: How to bake the Sydney Opera House? many textures/shaders

Postby MaxXR » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:48 am

MaxXR Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:48 am
Both - but mostly animations of 3d models for inclusion in AR experiences.

Goal is to get 3d models in AR as photorealistic as possible. Wanted to use this Opera House eg as a learning experience.

Current approach is 1) use PBR global lightmapper to bake the building, then 2) use real-time AR ambient lighting

Hypothesis is the object will look more real because of the baking. However it won't quite look right when in AR because the baking happened in an artificial evironment unlike the present AR environment (but baking first and then using ambient AR lighting for soft shadows on the pre-baked object is the best we can do these days). So when you rotate the opera house around on the table for eg, you'd see that it doesn't look natural because the pre-baked rays do not reflect the true ambient lighting. Is this right or perhaps there's a better way?

Sorry what do you mean by 'viewing baking'?
MaxXR

Re: How to bake the Sydney Opera House? many textures/shaders

Postby MaxXR » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:36 am

MaxXR Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:36 am
Ok so updated to 1.1.1.1326 and the lightmapper isn't crashing which is excellent!

Baked a lightmap at 1000 samples, but after rendering, it doesn't look in the scene view like the model in the PBR render target. As you can see the model in the scene view is darker and not crisp and white like the OTOY one on the right.

How does one get a baked scene/object from the lightmapper that matches the PBR render target (i.e. look good)?
Are there some other settings I'm missing? Thought i may need to load in the lightmap / a 'Lighting Data Asset' after baking but Unity can't find out...
Once I have a baked object my intention is to export it and import it into another Unity project.

The saga continues.. ;)
MaxXR

Previous

Return to Octane for Unity