User Feedback

Forums: User Feedback
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

User Feedback

Postby AlanMattano » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:19 pm

AlanMattano Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:19 pm
Hi Jules Urbach! I purchase a red-orange zip hoodie because It makes me feel at the leading edge of tech. I make rendering since Commodore 128 and I took a picture because there was no case or disk that can handle (I was 12yr?).
I'm a Windows user Unity certify waiting for this super awesome OctaneRender 4.
But I was thinking that I will not use it. I'm afraid that normal users will not use it unless

* Embedded in Unity as Default or in alternative just one robust button installation.

* I do not need to change the Unity materials. And use the Unity material for rendering. Having hundreds of materials is too much time-consuming. Just the idea scares so much that makes me avoid the problem of reopening asset in Painter making a new specific shader graph in Octane. Often shader graphs are complex because we are looking for a specific feeling of vibration. I have tried the render and material compatibility.

* At the moment looks like making a game is a completely different project than rendering Octan. At the moment Is not nice to rendering in the game. I need to make a clone of the game just for rendering and is a big limitation for small studios or indie. If I finish rendering Is difficult to take out Octane Rendering form my project. I wish one button for this. An alternative export all 3Dmesh, animations, materials to Otoy but is much less desirable. More deeply inside integrated than Painter is, in my opinion, the way to go.

So that we can make a game and at some point make a render. Later return making the game as nothing happened. pretty simple.
I know under the hood this is very complex but that why you and your team are awesome professionals!
Thanks for listening and letting ower dreams became true.
AlanMattano

Re: User Feedback

Postby adamnerva » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:18 pm

adamnerva Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:18 pm
I'm guessing that octane for Unity was never designed to work seamlessly with a real time project. If you just look at materials alone, it's obvious that keeping the Unity renderer working was not an original goal for this plugin. As it stands now, due to workflow and even performance issues, it's better to render from Max, Modo, C4D, standalone, etc. This was a cool concept, but I think it will be years before studios are using Octane in Unity for serious productions. But maybe this is a long term investment for otoy, and they realize octane for unity has a long way to go.
adamnerva
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AlanMattano » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:16 pm

AlanMattano Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:16 pm
adamnerva wrote:I'm guessing that octane for Unity ... is a long term investment ...and... realize octane for unity has a long way to go.

Exactly!

and we are learning to be ready

AlanMattano

Postby azen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:19 am

azen Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:19 am
adamnerva wrote:I'm guessing that octane for Unity was never designed to work seamlessly with a real time project. If you just look at materials alone, it's obvious that keeping the Unity renderer working was not an original goal for this plugin. As it stands now, due to workflow and even performance issues, it's better to render from Max, Modo, C4D, standalone, etc. This was a cool concept, but I think it will be years before studios are using Octane in Unity for serious productions. But maybe this is a long term investment for otoy, and they realize octane for unity has a long way to go.

Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! I will do my best to provide some clarity in regards to your input.

* Embedded in Unity as Default or in alternative just one robust button installation.

We are working to improve this aspect of the plugin. For the most part, you will only need to follow explicit prompts to handle the initial installation of OctaneRender for Unity, and you will be prompted to update to a newer version when one is available.

* I do not need to change the Unity materials. And use the Unity material for rendering. Having hundreds of materials is too much time-consuming. Just the idea scares so much that makes me avoid the problem of reopening asset in Painter making a new specific shader graph in Octane. Often shader graphs are complex because we are looking for a specific feeling of vibration. I have tried the render and material compatibility.

If you wish to use OctaneRender for Unity, it is necessary to use materials that are compatible with the Renderer. The Unity Native materials that are compatible with OctaneRender are "Standard", "Standard (Specular Setup)", and any material with the shader set to "Octane/PBR Override". Any materials that do not fit this description will not be visible in the OctaneRender PBR Viewport.

* At the moment looks like making a game is a completely different project than rendering Octan. At the moment Is not nice to rendering in the game. I need to make a clone of the game just for rendering and is a big limitation for small studios or indie. If I finish rendering Is difficult to take out Octane Rendering form my project. I wish one button for this. An alternative export all 3Dmesh, animations, materials to Otoy but is much less desirable. More deeply inside integrated than Painter is, in my opinion, the way to go.

With the exception of PBR Override Materials, Materials in your scene will be unaffected when you "unload" OctaneRender for Unity (if this is not the case for you, please let us know). Any scripts that you have attached to objects as a direct result of OctaneRender should not be affecting anything when Octane us unloaded. Furthermore, the uninstaller will remove all traces of Octane-based changes to your project. We could perhaps, explore more elegant solutions for PBR Override materials during uninstallation - however, if you do not use these materials, this should not be a problem.

On another note, the initial release of OctaneRender for Unity did not support real-time features (aside from texture baking). The plan all along has been to introduce these real-time features with OctaneRender 4. This work is currently still in progress, and every breakthrough and milestone will be readily available for all Unity users - and available for free, thanks to our Prime tier.

There have indeed been some issues with downloading and installing in the past, and we are on top of those issues with the most recent work. We will continue to strive for the best overall user experience, as well as introducing the awesome real time features that we will have in store in the future.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your input, towards making OctaneRender for Unity better for everyone.

Cheers,
Azen
azen
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby adamnerva » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:52 pm

adamnerva Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:52 pm
Sorry to thread-jack... on the subject of materials... can I just bring up the Octane Modo plugin again? In Modo, you can apply octane override materials without messing up the native renderer at all. I want to be able to send clients preview animations, or walkthroughs using the native Unity realtime renderer and then seamlessly render a final sequence in OR. Lots of projects use custom Unity shaders, and their is currently no solution for this. The main advantage of having Octane in Unity IMO is the realtime renderer for previews and proofs as well as scene composition. Also, a button that converts a Unity standard shader into an Octane Universal material graph would be great. I guess my point is that even if you are creating an animation rather than a game, keeping the native render intact is vital. Also, I don't mean to discount the hard work being done. And if I sound pessimistic, that's mostly based on my regret over purchasing the blender plugin. I am hopeful that Octane for Unity will be a first-class plugin. Since it is one of the first to move to Octane 4, maybe that is truly the case.
adamnerva
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Octane for Unity